Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mannheim, Germany 2011 - a small meeting under friends  (Read 7420 times)

Beermacht

Mannheim, Germany 2011 - a small meeting under friends
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:52:56 pm »

Hello guys,

some of my friends an myself met yesterday in Mannheim, Germany. It was a very cosy meeting with a lot of big submarines.

KNM Utsira
    - norvegian Ula class which was build in Germany as Type 210
    - Dive technology: Compressed Air
    - Scale: 1/30
    - Weight: 42kg
    - Length: 2m
    - Beam: 18cm
    - Building thread: http://www.pressluftjunkies.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764 (sorry, but this building thread is in German)

Hr. Ms. Tijgerhaar
    - netherlands Zwaardvis class
    - Dive technology: Compressed Air    - Scale: 1/32
    - Weight: 60kg
    - Length: 2.10m
    - Build log: See builders website for more information http://www.amberger-modellbau.de

Abborren
    - Swedisch submarine
    - Dive technology: 2 Piston Tanks
    - Length: 1.65m
    - Beam: 14cm
    - Weight: 21kg
    - Build log: See builders website for more information http://www.beutels.de

Type XXI
    - Don't have to explain that...
    - Dive technology: 2 Piston Tanks
    - Weight: 13kg
    - Length: 1.53m
    - Beam: 13.5cm
    - Build log: See builders website for more information http://www.beutels.de

Project 1710 "Makerel" (Nato Code "Beluga"
    - Dive technology: Compressed Air
    - Experimental submarine
    - Weigth 59.5kg
    - Length: 2.16m
    - Beam: 29.5cm
    - Build Log: See builders website for more information http://roteflotte.de

So, here some expressions...

A video of this are coming soon. So please stay tuned!

Andy

Patrick Henry

Re: Mannheim, Germany 2011 - a small meeting under friends
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

Very nice pictures of some very nice boats...

Thank Andy!

Rich

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51:47 pm »

Looks like it was a bit windy out there ..

thanks for posting.  :-))

Sub. :-))

Wehrbier

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:15:54 pm »

It was windy and sunny. Dangerous combination  %%

Sascha

Davy1

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 07:41:19 am »

Very nice photos and subs!

Thanks for sharing them.

David

U3503

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35:31 am »

Yes, a wonderfull day with good friends

Anne

Wehrbier

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:47 am »

Maybe we can visit a Meeting in the UK next year!?

Regards

Sascha

Lothar

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:37:33 am »

Great Idea, I am with you ok2

Davy1

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:59 am »

Plenty to choose from. You will see a broad cross section on this forum.
It is by no means over for this year either - Norwich soon (though next years Norwich may be bigger - looking at historical trends.), Warrington, Warwick and Hop Farm(in Kent) are some of the ones still to come this year.

Beermacht

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:04:16 am »

Great Idea, I am with you ok2

That would be cool. But first I need a bigger car.

Andy

Wehrbier

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 10:11:45 am »

Thanks, but I think this year it is too late. Most of us almost used their free days for this year. A Meeting next year is realistic because it is some logistic nesessary to get all the boats and Equipment together AND find a few days everyone have time to visit you. Let us some time to plan this. I have no Problem to spend some free days for a Meeting.

regards

Sascha

Lothar

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 10:36:59 am »

Well,

but please let's choose something, which is open for all kinds of boats, not only subs.
You know, my interests are a little bit different from Yours... %)

With Norfolk lines and a night ferry, it wouldn't be too expensive, even with a caravan following the car.

Lothar

andyn

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:56 am »

Wehrbier

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:53:52 am »

Sounds good Andy! Ok friends we have to make a big phone conference...

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »

Would be nice to see some of the modellers over from the continent. We had a couple of Belgian modellers come to one of the Dive-ins last year, and they had a nice time.

What's the depth of the pond at Wicksteed Park? These pressluft boats are big suckers, and I'm thinking they might find things a bit tight there. Same goes for many model shows I'm afraid- small ponds. Okay for small and medium size craft, but for big stuff, you're going to find the going tough. Norwich pond is very large in area, depth wise it's about 3-4 feet.

Hop Farm show is very good for model aeroplane displays, and has quite a large marine presence.

Lothar

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »

Well,

when I am right informed, they are looking for a new location for the mayhemmodelmeeting.
Hope they find a nice lake with campground beside in a nice area of Britain.

we'll see...

Lothar

Beermacht

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:39 pm »

Are you serious? Ok, I know. It was my idea to visit the UK. But Sascha, Lothar, you remember that I still need a bigger car? And also a newer one of course! Next year mine will be 22 years old! I'm not sure if I can made it then  <:(

Picture of prove! My good ol' VW Corrado build in nineteenninety filled with the Beluga only.

andyn

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »

Wicksteed park lake is about nadgers height when in waders, bearing in mind I'm very tall {-)

Very unlikely it's going to be at Wicksteed though next year. Would be well worth a trip for our German friends. You can submerge in one of these wadable lakes, a whacking great Alfa was doing it this year. Still can't remember the bloke's name who owns it after 2 years, but I believe you know him Andy.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:25 pm »

That would be Al with the Alfa.
Yes those big boats would have had no problems with the windy conditions at Wickstead.

Davy1

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 11:00:27 am »

Our discussion of the variety of events in the UK makes me think of  my one visit to the Dortmund show in Northern Germany about 4 years ago. It was really good.

A vast show in several exhibition halls. Lots of traders but also a very wide range of modellers (and not just submarines or even boats but aircraft and railways too.)
A very large (and deep!) indoor pool with regular submarine demos. I think free sailing was catered for but I didn't have a model with me. It was big enough and interesting enough to spend 2 1/2 days wandering around. It sort of "ticked all the boxes" really.

Looking at the UK we certainly have a great deal of variety but no one show/event  that "ticks those boxes."

So I would say that you German modellers are lucky really. Is the Dortmund show still as good or has the economic recession damaged it?

So do we perhaps have too may events/ shows in the UK? Maybe Model Boat Mayhem shows could be built up to that sort of scale?

David F

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »

I can well remember events like the Model Engineers Exhibition and Sandown Park being major shows, needing more than a day to see everything and get around.

These shows had the life choked out of them by companies that appeared to be solely motivated by greed.  Venue owners charging sky high rents, and companies organising the show spotting a cash cow.  There is also the addition of a lot of red tape which has no doubt had a major effect on the organisation and nature of such shows.

They were gradually diminished in size, attendance fell off, traders no longer appeared.

I don't think we'll ever see their like again in this country.

raymond

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 04:09:30 pm »

How right you are Subculture,living not to far from Sandown I attended the first and the last model symposium as they called it only missed one in all the years it was held, it was the best day out or two sometimes ,in the early days the whole family went all looked forward to it even the girls,we took a picnic on the grass in front of the grandstand watching the flying,every form of modeling was catered for,those days I believe it was run for many years by the Elmbridge Model Club & M.A.P.publishing,it attracted people from a lot of countries in europe when you saw where the coaches in the car park were from,so I saw its gradual demise after the organisation was taken over by event organisers,even the engineering exihbition seems to be a shadow of the past shows,and like you I don't think we will see the likes of the old Sandown shows ever again.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

Sad but true... 
<:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Beermacht

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 06:19:16 pm »

Just reading the whole thread again. Actually we need a little deeper water. It should be at least 1.8m to make fun. I know that this isn't of interested for Lothar, but we others do care about that. So it would be nice if you keep that in mind.

A other think I realize after reading the thread. Some of you guys obvious visit Germany from time to time. How about a visit one of us. I mean just to see what we're doing or whatever. We are located all over Germany. Lothar had some guests from Argentina in the past. A short one day trip would be not a big problem. I'm not sure how my other friends thinks about this, but I'm pretty sure we all would be pleased to meet someone in person.

regards

Andy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 07:25:16 pm »

To get that sort of depth is really going to be tough. Most model boat ponds are designed for a maximum of 1 meter depth, usually a lot less.

Deeper ponds do exist, but they're usually natural lakes, or gravel pits, or swimming pools!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.