Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finance  (Read 1412 times)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
Finance
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:16 pm »

Hi Folks,

Do we have any banker types aboard to give me some advice on transfering money abroad. The tips I have had so far, ie HSBC didn't work as they won't open an account just to transfer our funds.

We are moving to Canada from UK and currently bank we Santander, which is not in Canada. And we can't open an account in Canada unless we are there with IDs, etc.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards,

Robert

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Finance
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »

And the best of luck!!

I suspect that you will have to open a Canadian account when you get there, then arrange for Santander to transfer the money and close the account. However, if there is the slightest chance you will rreturn to the UK, keep the acoount open with about £5 in it. It is devilishly difficult to open an account in the UK if you are not on the electoral role and have Utilty bills etc to prove identity and address. Your measley £100 might be the proceeds of illegal activities. %% {-) O0 >:-o

Been there (for my daughter)

Barrie

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

I googled a likely name for a Canadian bank and tried the Royal Bank of Canada and came up with branches in London, Cheltenham
and Edinburgh - They do appear to be the biggest bank in Canada - Branches in 51 countries and farsunds of branches all over Canada.

Geoff

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:47:49 am »

Yeah I use to bank with RBC but as a non-resident I was not allowed to keep it open, so it looks like wait til we are over there and to a transfer....thanks for the advise anyway.
I'm pretty sure columbus didn't have this problem,

Robert

pugwash

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 11:33:42 am »

Robert you probably know better than me, but have you contacted the London branch personal banking section to see if you
can open an account just prior to your leaving for Canada - Might be worth a try - rules may have changed since you came back.
they could probably advise you as to your best course of action

Geoff

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »

No, haven't tried that yet, may give them a ring. Thanks Geoff.

Robert

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.