Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenny builds the TITANIC  (Read 27289 times)

andyn

Re: Kenny builds the TITANIC
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:35 am »

Can you not fit long steel bars in the keel to balance it? Tried it in one of my boats before.. We can supply you with some M5 bar I'm sure :-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2011, 12:46:42 pm »

As Andy said can you not put a steel bar down either side [not the middle] in the bottom of the hull Ken ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »

As Above when I was looking at building the Titanic way back in the 80's I aquired a bar from an old desk which I was going to fill with lead.. 

Great Build looks really good..   :-)) :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2011, 04:35:29 pm »

I measured the dimensions and have produced this little picture

The water line is 6 cm up from the bottom whilst the top of the funnels is 32 Cms from the base.  The ship is only 18 cm wide.  It's like a Skyscraper.

Whatever the weights used, I found that when pushed down in the water to the line, it was possible to tilt her very easily sideways. Once it moved from the horizontal plane any weight was out of the water and she was lost.

The only solution is hanging a weight below the boat and I'm not keen on this.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

More Coffee

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2011, 06:18:59 pm »

I wouldnt go as far as a false keel just yet ..there one more thing you can change..your battery.. it looks like a 7ah gell cell..these are tall,and its what i think is causing your stability issues..

If you can find one a 3.4ah gel cell takes alomost the same foot print,,and is half as high as the battery you have there..,its about 2lbs lighter so more weight can be added to the below the water line.
 One similar to this .

http://shopping.microbattery.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5538/.f

or take 2 -6 volt and lay them on there side in series ..besure to alternate them as they have a holow on the top that will unballance the ship.

http://shopping.microbattery.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5572/.f

Nice ship ..hate to have to see a guy hack into it with out trying one more avenue of approach.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2011, 06:49:19 pm »

Ken,

Stability is always a problem with liner type models. Whatever you do she will always be 'twitchy' but that big gel cell is doing no good at all. Cylindrical NiMH or even Lead Acid Cyclon cells low in the hull will improve things no end if coupled with some low ballast such as the steel bars suggested. The house bricks have a high centre of gravity too so are not a good test, you need lead sheet right in the bottom of the hull for maximum effect but that may not be enough if the superstructure is too heavy.

You have a double problem, first of all the inherent stability caused by the high superstructure which you needed to have built really, really light and then there is the windage which will be considerable on a high sided ship.

Other Titanic models depend on a false keel for stability so don't rule the idea out. The thing to do is to build in a couple of mounting strong points along the keel into which you can screw alternative false keels until you get the balance right. A false keel is a small price to pay to get a realistic on the water performance, scale sail people do it all the time. Nobody is going to see it while the ship is afloat.

Don't give up yet! I am building a liner myself but it is a more 'sturdy' full bellied design which hopefully won't have the same problems.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2011, 08:40:38 pm »

Thank you all once again for your lovely support.

I like the idea of studs underneath where they won't be seen.    Maybe    %) %) %)

On the point of the 7 Ahr battery, I found an interesting fact. I did lay it on it's side longways and found it tilted the boat. When I turned the battery around, it tilted the other way.

These batteries are not level in weight  (does that make sense ?). The way it equalised was to twist it on the keel until it would balance the boat evenly. The lowest part on the innards is the keel which is still a good inch up from the bottom. There is room each side of the keel for lower fitting lead so I'm going out to the scrapyard for some lead !!!

The Pool is still going down. Something else to mend. {-)

Ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2011, 08:44:10 pm »

The top of lead acid batteries is less dense than the main body of the battery  which gives the effect you describe Ken.

Colin

More Coffee

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 12:01:09 am »

yes theres an air gap...

When I mentioned 2 6volt batteries on their side ,,and have them stacked alternatly that was why ..to equal them out.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »

What really sunk the TITANIC            O0

This film is on TV tonight at 10 o'clock on channel  E4.

ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

;D ...not sure so much about the airgap....the connection links are toward the top of the battery casing with the lead plates [greater weight] are lower in the battery shell itself...... O0 ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2011, 11:07:32 am »

Hi Derek,

How's winter over there ?  I don't suppose you ever get to zero temperature very often.

As the battery has to be laid on it's side, an extra balance weight will be fitted to balance the boat. I just wondered how many builders realised this little fact !

I'm going for the removable depth bar now with a lighter heart. Extra 'tarty' bits are in the pipeline and even the  'Mrs'  likes her.    8).     The 'pool' has finally collapsed in shock and put away. It won't be deep enough for the next test

Ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2011, 11:45:54 am »

:D hullo Ken...........

I can visualise a Titanic model as a prima belledona & not wanting to be blown off line  {-) .......

A real challenge between low draft & high deck windage

I have every faith in that you will get the balance right/wright/correct %% 

O0 oh BTW....has been a cool & mild winter here       ............just a bit slushy   {:-{.....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

proteque

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »

such a lovely looking model!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2011, 03:12:34 pm »

Thank you for your kind comments.

Yesterday I was putting the deck on and caught the side panel and fractured it down through the windows.  <:( 

I am now in the process of making a complete new side panel with 68 new windows and as a neighbour remarked the windows on the other side were slightly out of line, I shall be re making that side as well. Anyone got a gun.  {:-{

It's not all doom and gloom as I went sailing today with the ever faithful springers.  See blog in Springer section.  (later)

Ken

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2011, 06:17:58 am »

"N" gauge, which makes her 1:175 and produces a model about five and a half foot long.

Just to be pedantic, British N gauge is 1:148 and US/European N is 1:160  {-)

But I have to say the figures you used didn't look out of scale so I guess theres no problem lol.  When you are working at these small scales a little bit of difference is hardly noticabale

By the way did you have any luck stabilising her?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:27 am »

Hello Mr Essex,  :-)

Yes you are correct. I have the Chinese ones at a penny each and they are smaller than the N gauge rail people by 2mm.  This is quite considerable considering the scale when side by side.  %)

Not to worry as I'll have them half hidden perhaps.

I have reworked the side panels after getting some large plastic sheets from S.H.G last Saturday. Has anyone tried cutting a straight line through 5 foot of plastic ?  I had the steel bar clamped to the table and ran a Stanley knife all the way down slowly. I glad to report it worked lovely.

All that remained was to cut out the round and square windows on both sides. Sound easier than it was.  %)  but we got there in the end. Removing the old sides proved a riot as a lot of cutting was needed to clear the window holes.

Here's a few pictures.

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

top work  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:58 pm »

Thank you Carl.  I am spurred on now she's looking smarter.   :-))

ken

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:03 pm »

Looking good now Ken.

Do you buy your holes for portholes and windows in bulk.  How many in a box ? ok2
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:07 am »

How sweet of you to notice ----------  ok2

I've made a punch for the holes instead of drilling them and getting a rough edge on breakthrough.  I'm now making a punch for the 1st class dining room windows to look like this chaps version. Wish me luck

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2013, 12:55:54 pm »

I know this is an OLD project but I saw her on the shelf and brought her down for a little refurbishment.   %)

I still have not sailed her and that looks  'out of the window'  now. I have been smartening up the edges and resprayed her yet once again. I still have the idea of making another one but more accurate to the old lady.

I have made a YouTube film around 23 minutes long of the complete build so get a cup of tea and lets have your comments, good or bad.   :}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgkRlL6c7p4&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for reading.

Ken

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.