Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting boats and just general building them  (Read 1434 times)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Painting boats and just general building them
« on: July 19, 2011, 01:30:26 pm »

Hi again guys
Well as stated in other posts I have quite a few boat builds on the go but I'm slowly getting there with my White star but me and my dad have had a disagreement again he says I'm being to much of a perfectionist with my White star I want the paint work and build quality to look spot on and A* but dad has said when working with wood I will never get it completely perfect like u could with plastic or fibreglass is this correct?

Rchammer

nhp651

Re: Painting boats and just general building them
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »

NO!!!
Although it is much quicker to achieve a very good smooth mirror finish with grp and plastics, the same effects can be obtained on timber, especially ply, with a little hard work and preperation.
it will also give you that great quality in life..patience and perseverance.
good luck and hope youi succeed..no harm in being a perfectionist, so long as it is yourself that you wish to satisfy, and not others...build for your own enjoyment.
neil.

andyn

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »

Seal the wood with either epoxy finishing resin or polyester resin, then start on the wet and dry.... Then paint with Halfords Aerosols.

I've spent the whole of last week on a little secret project, which is a mould made from polystyrene coated with car body filler. Started with 400 grit wet and dry, then went to 800 grit. I then sprayed a thinish coat of Halfords Satin Black paint, then sanded this back with 1200 grit until there was no black to be seen anywhere. I then went to 1500 grit paper over the whole thing, then out comes the Halfords Rubbing compound, liberally applied and rubbed in with a cloth. After this, it's pretty amazing. Next out came the McGuires Mould release wax, which I built up in 12 coats, polishing each one off.

You don't have to spend quite as much effort as I did, because I'm selling the finished product,  but with a little bit of effort, your model can be amazing. You can also achieve a matt finish with the same method, but without the wax and using matt paint :-))

The proof as they say is in the pudding, here's what was a dull front wing panel on my motorbike after just 3 coats of wax:

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:15:46 pm »

I no we all have to learn somewhere and dads just trying to help as I'm still quite young but hay hoe I will get there I'm looking for a new boat at moment stuck on what to get I have £200 saved up so far I want something for a winter project and something I can add to we only go to the lake on a Sunday depending on my homework but its normally just me and him
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.