Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Propel' air brush propellant alternative  (Read 4453 times)

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
'Propel' air brush propellant alternative
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:13:52 pm »

I have 2 Small World Models subs with gas powered ballast tanks that utilise air brush propellant similar to Badger branded 'Propel' to vent the ballast tanks. These propellants tend to contain butane and this could be hazardous to health. Recent discussion on the SubCommittee website has indicated that in America many submariners have started using an alternative and less hazardous aerosol refill called 'Super Duster 134' manufactured by MG Chemicals. The American Material Safety Data Sheet indicates that this stuff is much safer. Does anyone know if there is a British equivalent and where it can be obtained? What do others use in their D&E modules? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. 

Andrew

Stavros

Re: 'Propel' air brush propellant alternative
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:31:35 pm »

Try this out this is available from Maplins having read the spec on hte American web site after googling Super Duster and Reading what it did went to Maplins and found this don't know a thing about subs but have a look
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=cleaners&source=15&SD=Y Stavros

Telstar

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 10:09:09 am »

Hi
I believe RS components sell a Air duster can used for "blowing out" computer type environments,
also Electrolube Ltd do an Air Duster which is "Pure compressed inert gas" (quoted from the can)
I also don't know anything about Model subs, but if the info is any use great.

Sorry the Rs datasheet dosn't appear to have posted. If this is of intrest, I could PM you it as a pdf file
Telstar

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:01:01 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall now go and acquire some of this stuff and conduct a test to see a) if it works - and b) how many times a fill will blow the tank compared to airbrush propellant.

Mike_K

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 01:24:33 am »

Do a search for "Green Gas" for Airsoft BB guns.  I have a can around here.  I'll look for it this weekend and post the contents if you'd like.  I have the "Propel" system in my larger  sub and I'm converting it to RCABS.  I may keep the gas system in it as a single-blow failsafe and use an external compressor to fill the tank with air.  I've tested it and it works.

Mike

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

Many thanks for your reply Mike. I've acquired (from a photographic shop) a can of 'Gepe Air 3 Duster refill' that appears to fit the bill and if the weather is clement this weekend hope to give it a go to see what happens. I would also very much appreciate your posting the contents about the Aircraft BB guns 'Green Gas' when you get the chance but will do a search in the meantime.

Andrew

Mike_K

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 12:10:29 pm »

Andrew- 

The Green Gas contains:  Ch2  FCF3 CH3.  It also contains 1.8% silicone oil as a lubricant for the AirSoft mechanism.  My wife is an avid photographer, film and digital, and uses Duster a lot.  She has 2 cans on hand and they contain:  Difluoroethane and the other 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane CAS:  811-97-2.

It's been many years since an Organic Chemistry course so I'm not sure if any of these are good, bad or neutral healthwise.

Mike

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 06:09:09 pm »

Mike

Many thanks for your efforts in digging out all that info. This stuff certainly seems a lot safer than the old 'Propel' - particularly with regard to the effect it might have on me and the environment. I've 'Googled' umpteen sites with the constituents - particularly University ones with test results etc and the indications are that it is the way to go. Like you, my memories of organic chemistry have faded over the decades but I'll be giving it a go to ensure that the subs still surface properly and will see if it lasts as longas the stuff I've tried in the test tank. I will report back on the outcome once the tests have taken place. Thanks again.

Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.