Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop start motor.  (Read 6684 times)

Bluechrisp

Stop start motor.
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:29:55 pm »

Evening,

Just tested my first brushless it goes for about a few metres and as I get half way to full throttle it stutters acouple of times and stops, then I repeat this and the same happens even in reverse.
I am using a 2200 kv outrunner on a 25 amp  esc with 7.2v batt.
Do I need a lower kv motor?  <:(

Bluechrisp

Re: Stop start motor.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

Hello the esc is 45 amp.  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 08:57:54 pm »

or a higher amperage ESC    ok2

There is a drain on your battery which dropping the voltage too much maybe, and cutting out the receiver.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

AT Boatyard

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »

Hi you need to set up the esc.
You need to let it know what battery you are running.
This is done by prog card or by beep set up.
Your not running lipo so set the volt cut of as low as possible.
king regards
Alan

Bluechrisp

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:00:20 pm »

Hi you need to set up the esc.
You need to let it know what battery you are running.
This is done by prog card or by beep set up.
Your not running lipo so set the volt cut of as low as possible.
king regards
Alan

Hi Alan,

I have the instructions, I think I'll have to read them again and have another try.... I'll get there...  <:(

CP

CF-FZG

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:52 pm »

As said, your motor is pulling too much current from the battery and causing the lvc to kick in - this causes the esc to shut the motor down to preserve the BEC supply to the receiver.

I take it from your post that if you throttle back, then the motor will restart??

Solution, set the lvc lower - but keep it above 5.3v, (it might only have settings for LiPo's though), or fit a bigger capacity battery.

Mark

Bluechrisp

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:07 pm »

Hi Mark

Ivc? Dark magic at work.... €:-) when it gets to half way it stops once back at centre it resets? The same happens again and so on. I am using a 7.2 v 3700 .

CP

CF-FZG

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:32:56 am »

Hi CP,

LVC - Low Voltage Cutout

It's used mainly to protect LiPo batteries from being over discharged but still maintain power to the receiver. 

e.g. if the minimum required battery for your esc is a 2S LiPo, then it will cut the power to the motor when the pack voltage drops to around 3.3v per cell, (or 6.6 volts).  If you're using a 6 cell Nixx pack, then it's quite easy to pull the voltage down that low which will cause your problem.

Which ESC are you using, it will give us more info to help with your problem :-))

Mark

Bluechrisp

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:48 pm »

Hi Mark,

I reset my esc no stutter, I used 7.2v 6200 Mah they lasted for about 5 mins each, they were bloody hot and so the motor. The performance was lacking so I think it's time to fork out for Lipo batts and a charger then it should go, with 23000 rev plus commg out of her.
I only bought it for the kids, god knows what the rest of the team will say. >>:-(

Cheers

CP

nick_75au

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:34:10 am »

What sort of boat is it, can you provide info about motor and prop as well.
15 000 RPM unloaded is what I calculate the motor at, sounds like the prop is too big (or motor too small) which bogs down the motor and caused high amp draw evidenced by the heat. Li-po will not fix this problem in fact I think you will cook li-po's.

If you are only getting 5 minutes then the set-up could be drawing 80 odd amps

Cheers
Nick

Bluechrisp

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 06:57:26 am »

Hi Nick

The boat is a sea spray 30 " long and shaped like a delta wing constructed out of fibre glass, weight about 1.5 kg The props I have used are x45 and x47.5 are these to big? The motor is 100 - 150 gram 28 mm face  plate.

CP

nick_75au

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 07:31:55 am »

It sounds like they definitely too big for that motor, Not familiar with the boat, Picture maybe?  but I assume its a go fast electric, do you have the model and brand of the motor?

Cheers
Nick

Bluechrisp

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »

Hi Nick,

I'm away up in Blair G for abit, so away from a the madness, however using my iPhone I will try my best to include a link to the eBay sale, I took it out on sat, tried a 35 x that was very noisey and very little movement the 42.2x was alot better with the nose just coming out abit do about 2 mph but again gets very warm and dies off soon with the odd stutter.

The motor is a Giant cod outrunner 2200kv with brass coloured outer ring silver sator? End and fan. When I get back I will get the model no. As for the ESC it is a 45 amp for cars and boats.

End time: 7 Jul 2011 19:18:14 GMT+01:00

iPhone URL:
LARGE MODEL BOAT IN NEED OF SOME TLC 30" LONG

Browser URL:
LARGE MODEL BOAT IN NEED OF SOME TLC 30" LONG

Download eBay Mobile

Sent from my iPhone

nick_75au

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:54 am »

All good, no problem waiting for you to come back, your link doesn't work though ??

If its this  Motor (I don't think it is but I cant find any out-runners in the GC site that match those specs)

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/221206-2200kv-brushless-outrunner-motor-p-402397.html

Then the prop is way too big and the motor is too small

Nick

Bluechrisp

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Hello Nick,

Sorry for the link failure Iphone doesn't do what I want it to do it,  <*< I looked on the site, it has gone, I still have the box at home I will dig it out, the size is close to a graupner 400.
I think your right on the size of the motor and the prop, not sure if I want to to fork out loads on a new motor , what would you recommend and would it help by using lipo batts? I suppose to make it go it will need them.

Cheers

CP

MikeA

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 09:34:24 am »

did you resolve this ? you shouldve got close to 40 mins on 6000 mah 7.2 lol thats way over propped. i was over propped i was using a 42 mm. it turned out i was suppose to be using a 30. 34 at the most.

Bluechrisp

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »

Hello
It sounds like the one I had was to small for the boat, looking to get a BLACK MANTIS BM3660 1200KV INRUNNER BRUSHLESS MOTOR
That should be the one, the other was a 400 size, in a 30 inch boat weighing over 1kg. Will try a 40mm x prop.

CP  :-))

Bluechrisp

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 08:57:28 pm »

I have attached some photo's, It's 30" long almost like a delta wing, not sure if to keep the Nihms and have a low KV motor or go for lipo.

CP

Bluechrisp

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »

one of the underside.

MikeA

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:46 am »

took ya time to post that lol where you been the moon? :o {-) nice boat did u build it?

Bluechrisp

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:07 pm »

Hi There Mad Mike,

LOL I was on holiday and some time away! It's not like what I've seen before the underside is flat with a centre ridge and on one either side, I have gone fully brushless now, so once I understand all this black art I'll be up and running.  :-))

CP

Bluechrisp

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:59 pm »

Hello all,

Fitted my new 3300 KV inrunner with a 60 amp speed controller, 3s lipo, driving a 35mm S twin blade prop, it goes like the stink looks fantastic too,  :} just need to add a water cooling system.

Cheers all for your help.  :-))

CP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.