Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: original v modified?  (Read 3510 times)

silent running556

original v modified?
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:55:17 pm »

How many of you have bought subs and modified parts rather than used the original parts that came with the kit? I've been fiddling with my rudder/hydroplane connections and ended up making little bits myself, grub screws etc drive me mad.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
Re: original v modified?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:19:05 pm »

No what you mean.

I built the Robbe U-47 but totally changed it and the Type XX1.

They had square shafts running in round holes for the hydroplanes ....take about bad engineering, they both now have round shafts in round holes, much more smoother.
Also the Engle Akula re did the top hatch from Ali to polycarbonate and also re-made the seal so much more area to seal.

keeps us busy though.

Regards Sub.

silent running556

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 08:34:33 pm »

That's what i've done too, along with the tiller. The servos drive me mad too as if you don't get them just right you get too much slack on the wires and tey either have too much bias up or down, left or right. I'm gonna move on to the front and come back to it for fine adjustments later.

BTW, do glow sticks work under water?

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 08:38:37 pm »

If you mean those plastic things that you bend to make them work I think the answer is yes as when you bend them you break an inner tube and allow the 2 chemicals to mix and that is what produces the light, and its all contained within the outer tube / sheath..

silent running556

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:18 pm »

That's th one,don't know if they're ay good in murky water but i might try them and see, thanks.

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:48:28 pm »

BTW, do glow sticks work under water?

Yes, They Do.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »

I very rarely build a kit as it should be made....I like to build concept boats, those that never left the drawing board, like my USS Dragonfish and the present build, the USS Theophilus F Rodenbough.

I enjoy the research, hunting down the rare drawing, or if I'm lucky, an illustration, then making all the weird and wonderful fittings that most concept subs seem to have.

At least with a concept boat that was never built, nobody can tell me that I've made something wrong or placed something in the wrong place.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »

Kits are built to a cost, even the expensive ones. I am sure that there is always room for a personal touch during a build, and as previous posters have noted, linkages can be improved on most set ups. On the subject of concept subs, I have butchered a Engel Typhoon into my interpretation of Red October. However, it is lurking in a box awaiting final radio installation before its first dunking. One of the most major mods was the removal of the narrow access hatch and replacement with a large acrylic lid as done by Mankster. I also fitted a magneto hydrodynamic drive system... it does mostly consist of sequence flashing LEDs though, they are silent in operation. good for sneaking up on our 'old enemy'. Unless its dark, in which case they might see us :-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »

the USS Theophilus F Rodenbough.

That reminds me of one of Lenny Henry's characters

Theophilus P Wildebeeste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJORpFO_iQU
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:40:33 pm »

Could have been worse...could have been called the USS 'Peasmolde J. Gruntfuttock'....

silent running556

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »

Proof that you can get a little too much lurve. {-) I;m gona try not to make my U-47/556 lo too much like a cut n shut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.