Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: schnellboot in 1/35  (Read 2878 times)

treeboa

schnellboot in 1/35
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eD2gOzrDP0

thought its about time i posted the start of this. motors are in and linked. just had it in a bath to see if it leaks . no thank christ, outer motors sre a pair mtronic 400`s the center a mfa 380. the speakers are something i played with and adjusted to give me a rep of the macine guns. two boards at differnt settings to give the effect i wanted. props are graupner 30mm three blades. these are heaving serious water so im glad i never went with scale brass ones. nothing vid wise of her running as its hard to hold it on half speed and video, center shaft needs another support nearer the motor though as its whipping a bit at high speed

jimmy2310

Re: schnellboot in 1/35
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »

Treeboa,  I,m 60 soon and Ive been droping hints to my kids for this kit I think its sunk in,
will you be posting a build blog?

Jimmy

treeboa

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:57:24 pm »

jimmy im 56 n had to get it myself :}, yes i will do, theres some fiddly stuff and after dropping a machine gin have decided it was too weak n beefed up the mount. are you going to rc it? , conversions not bad if you take your time and think about it, you can alter the shaft angles to make it easier but i wanted it as per kit, hence using 2mm shafts, i will post pics from my comp once home, doing this via a samsung tablet/phone

jimmy2310

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »

yes, I,m going to rc it, get all the bits and pieces before I start the build, I,ve got till the end of Oct till my birthday so I,ll watch your blog and make a list of what I,ll need.

Jimmy

treeboa

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

right wereto start,ok this daft idea came after seeing a partially built one on ebay,i made a bid on it highest bidder but did not reach the lads reserve, tried contacting him but i never got a reply  >:-o, so after watching for a week i had it in my head i was gonna build one of these one way or another, so scouring the web i found them varying from 90 quid to 125 quid, after five fruitless further days trying to contact the shop selling atthe cheapest i gave up, then i found a company called relish models( hope names ok mods )  they had an online helpline, so working off the maxim them that dont ask dont get i asked if they would price match, apparently normally not but what did i want, well it was this kit and the eduard full etch set, i told him i wanted to pay 100 for the kit inc postage, he agreed  :-)) then i asked forthe `big ed` etch kit, total came to £131.49,pays with my debit card and then wonders if i have done the right thing  {-), i knew the etch was out of stockbut tit would arrive the next week, so forwarda week and theres a knock onthe door, courier with a small coffin  %%, pics below, thats a 52inch plasma on the wall

kits photo etch

add to it this lot from eduard

treeboa

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:29:45 pm »

so does a lot of web searching to see where im going next, decides to go with 2mm shafts as they are closer to scale, found a guy on ebay that would make them to my specs, now it seems a lot that have done a conversion leave the outer skegs off, i want them on, the back ends are pre drilled to accept the kits shafts and are the same size as the outer tubes from the shafts i had ordered, so i got a few lengths of brass tube that fitted inside each other and a long series drill, carefully bored a hole though the skegs then using the brass that was the same as the initial hole i cut a set of teeth into it with a file, then proceeded to bore the skegs though, bit hairy and took some time but it went through, by this time i had constructed the basic hull, left to set overnight and bored the center skeg as well, once all bored and cleaned up i fitted the skegs to the hull, again left overnite to set and then continued boring through the hull bottom, i had a wee bit of play that allowed for lining up as i was using the A frames from the kit, those i bored out to accept the outer tube, , the center shaft is supported at the rudder shaft, that i bored out to accept a bush, tubes in, a frames fitted i then pored a mix of mek and plasic bits that had been melted in it into the hull end of the skegs, just enough to lock them in place once set, not too much as its a solvent, i also beefed up around the Aframe mounting points with the stuff, again left it overnight to set, next thought was the props, initially i was going to use the kit ones, if that worked get some scale look a like brass, however reading further it seems that the speed from that was ott, plus it meant mounting nuts in the prop centers, may end up offset and out of ballance so i ordered some graupner 30mm three blades, obviously the middle one would be a problem, so i mounted it on a 2mm shaft and turned the nose off with my lathe, the thread on the center shaft is longer so it sits in the correct place and i made cap to cover the threads and also spins in the bush i mounted in the rudder post, out then came the epoxy and i sealed the shafts in the hull with that, at the same time i made a support from a square section of spruce and mounted the shafts then at the ends to stop play 9 though i need to add a further one to the center shaft as its whiping at speed, motor wise i am using a pair of mtronics 400`s on the outers and a single mfa 380 to the center, checked the angles of the shafts and made a spruce block to support the center motor and made a mount that screws to the front of the block, the outers however if i wanted them on wood mounts the shafts are too short ( 14 inch !! ), so those were lined up and initialy super glued in place then backed up with more epoxy, the shaft couplings are silicone tube, at this time i decided to also beef up the bottom of the boats hull join again with mek and melted plastic, poured into the small valley in the hull bottom, obviously not all at once in case it melted or softened the hull
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 19 queries.