Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Veron River Poice build  (Read 13003 times)

Mr Sam

Veron River Poice build
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

very new to rc boating i built my first kit boat over a year ago and finally took it out on my pond earlier this week now i want something a bit quicker and bigger, ive built and flown a few planes but this is my first boat build so go easy on me and please critic correct my wrong doings etc...

anyway after scrawling google/ebay and the internet looking at boats i really like the older all wood cabin cruiser types like the verons aerokits and precedent (ive got a precedent T-180 plane which is a dream to fly!) so have picked up a plan for the Veron police launch .... i also got excited and bought 2x johnson 600 motors as they were cheap!

DSC_2138 by Sam Tait, on Flickr

looks more complex than most planes ive built!!! and theres no instructions, first job is clear the spare computer table and gather some wood  :-)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Veron River Poice build
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12:26 pm »

hi Mr Sam
Welcome to the forum and to the madhouse :-)  Can I make a comment about your Johnson motors please?   Are you going to fit them into the River Police Launch cos these motors, if they are the ones I am thinking about 63mm long x 35 mm diameter roughly and have a small plastic fan on the inside, if its the same ones they are pretty powerful motors and draw about 2 amps free running

if you run them on 6volts with a 40 mm prop they will draw about 12-15 amp each a little too powerful for your model I think - it wont half fly with 2 of these motors fitted.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Mr Sam

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:20 pm »

thanks was only planning on running one in the boat keeping things simple for now  (i bought 2 as there going cheap on ebay) would a 20amp speed controller suit a single 600 then?

i had thought about trying the graupner mini jet propulsion unit but ill work on getting the boat built first before i have any more ideas  %)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:35:46 pm »

Hi Sam, be aware that there is a drawing error on that plan. The two sides have  different size formers, use the largest after checking and adjust accordingly. Cut one side`s formers and check them with the other and you will see the error. Good luck with the build. We would like some pictures too.
..well can you land on this?

LarryW

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:17 pm »

HI MR SAM ,  good joice of model, makes inice model , i have had one about a year now
 runs well on a 540 motor,

and its now for sale  cheers LARRY....

Mr Sam

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:07:30 pm »

i have read about that size problem somewhere on here havent spoted it on the plan yet but sure it will crop up when i start building

have seen yours for sale Larry, very tempted!!!! but ive got 2 cars due for MOt so got to watch my money for the next month ... must keep off ebay dam it!!

Mr Sam

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:31:01 pm »

got most of the wood together

unfortunatly though will have to pu it on hold for a while, the car blew its head gasket on its way back from stratford at the weekend so got that in bits at the moment

Mr Sam

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:50:12 am »

managed todo the head gasket on my car and it sailed through the MOT so picked up a few tools over the weekend and made a start

alot more confusing than i originally thought

DSC_2799 by Sam Tait, on Flickr

what sort of prop shaft bits and prop do i need for this?

LarryW

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39:01 am »

HI SAM, I RUN MINE ON 540 MOTOR  FIT ABOUT THE CENTRE OF HULL HUGO COUPLER AND SHAFT LENGTH TO SUIT AND 35MM  BRASS
   3 BLADE PROP
         WILL POST PHOTO TO YOU SOON OF LAY OUT,   

LarryW

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »

HERE YOU GO,    pics showing motor set up and note battery under rear bench and rudder servo under rear access hatch and lower removable deck access........... OK Larry ....

Mr Sam

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 08:34:46 pm »

thanks for them, bit of motivation! looks like its going to take alot longer than i though!

the ribs and keel boards are they supposed to be balsa or ply? im using ply but its taking forever to mark and cut even with a small band saw

LarryW

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »

hi SAM  stop beating your self up go by a sheet of 8th liteply  cheap as chips and cuts easy with craft knife
 and more workable my boat is mostly built with this    LARRY.....

Mr Sam

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 01:26:17 am »

been getting a few bits done each evning and its starting to take shape now

also got my prop shaft and coupling UJ, only other thing is the propeller does it matter if its left or right hand? does that mean the thread for the prop shaft or the blade layout?

thanks will post some pics soon but its not pretty  {:-{

LarryW

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »

HI SAM,  30mm 3 blade r/h is what you want, lets see some pictures on how you are doing ,
   there will be some pit falls in the build so keep sharp, remember keep cross checking , i am here to help.........LARRY.....

Mr Sam

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

had a busy morning getting the rest of the ribs drawn cut and glued on, now off to get more glue and a flexi curve

Veron River Police Launch Build by Sam Tait, on Flickr

600 motor and coupling by Sam Tait, on Flickr

LarryW

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:04 pm »

HI SAM , LOOKS GOOD SO FAR,  IS POSSIBLY TO HAVE A COPY OF YOUR DRAWING , I PAY ANY COST  TO YOU  IT MAY HELP TO SORT
 ANY PROBLEMS IN BUILD IT LOOKS LITTLE DIFFIDENT TO MY BUILD ......LARRRY..

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 02:06:21 pm »

re plans I believe that Phil Smith's son(?) sells them officially
regards Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 04:24:47 pm »

... and at least the car doesn't need washing!    %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

LarryW

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 04:31:13 pm »

HI , be careful it might be a police car, ex riot quad  {-) {-) {-) {-) <*< larry

Mr Sam

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »

its a big bad volvo not a police one though a propper one....RWD :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERON-RIVER-POLICE-LAUNCH-PLAN-ONLY-/120761549407?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1c1df3025f#ht_500wt_1156

this is where i got my plan from, ill send you mine when im done with it if you like?

got the bottom skins on this evening so its looking more like a boat now at long last

tony52

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:57 pm »

Sam,
The air horns and search light as originally supplied in the Veron kit are still available from Reade Models in Cheshire. I bought the illuminating searchlight (as in the photograph) for my Police Launch, although this is available non-illuminating. The lifebelt had to be shaped from obeche as per the plan as I couldn't find one of the correct size.

Tony.

LarryW

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:05 pm »

HI   few pictures for you to look at to give you some encouragement ,     deck trimmings are from S. H.G MODEL SUPPLIES,  ALSO THEY DO A GREAT RANGE OF
  GOODIE'S  at the right price  :-))   Sam PM sent..........LARRY...

Mr Sam

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 06:00:20 pm »

thanks for the pics guys real helpful, ive added them to a folder ive been collecting images off google and other boating websites,

i like how your floor is cut out to lower the motor wish id thought of that but my prop shaft is already glued in, got some horns off ebay actually made by robbe a bit longer than the ones on the plan but should be okay also noticed robbe do the illuminating lamps in various sizes so may treat it to one of them nearer completion , ordered a plastic prop for now to save a bit of money

looking down by Sam Tait, on Flickr

Bottom by Sam Tait, on Flickr

excuse the rubbish cutting skills this is my first scratch built model think i will stick to kits in future! quite chuffed with the bottom skin though

craftysod

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

Looking good so far Sam.
Dont worry about your cutting skills,you are making a good job,lots of people dont like working with wood.
Its the easiest material to repair or replace.
Keep up the good work
Mark

LarryW

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 08:18:36 pm »

HI SAM , looking OK when you put on side skins , do a rough fit out of the running gear and RC LAY OUT AND BATTERY PLACING  and now the time   to fit rudder.
 the more you enclose the harder access  larry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.