Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale question  (Read 4397 times)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Scale question
« on: July 23, 2011, 10:28:09 am »

Hi there
Quick question I'm bit confussed my boat is 1/33 scale but I have found some really cool parts but there 1/12th scale parts will they look odd on my boat?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Scale question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:38 am »

Depends what they are, some equipment is of variable size so can be used others just look out-of-scale.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18:27 am »

The 1:12 parts will be approx 3 times to big. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:18:36 pm »

Ok thank u guys bit cutted but I will have to think of another way

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »

Look at Mobile Marine Models
The do a lot of 'tuggy' bits but may have something to offer
Their Tugs are all 1/32 scale so would be ok for size
Macs Mouldings do 1/35
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »

The age old question of "scale" comes up yet again. When people buy a boat in a box and see what scale the model is at, is there no mental activity going on? Time after time I ask my fellow club members what scale their newest/proudest model is built at and the invariable answer is "I haven't a clue".
This is clearly not a good answer to any questioner, be they scratch builders or kit builders.
While applauding the decision to splash out some hard earned cash, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him/her.
As the old saying goes, "any job worth doing is worth doing well".....and a complete lack of the basics is a recipe for disaster. Unless of course you don't give a fig and "getting it on the water" is the only criteria.
This attitude can only (in the long term) demean the hobby as a whole.
I have a suggestion. When queries such as "scale" come up ......why can't the post be diverted to one of the many long running sites dealing with the subject?
"Mayhem" is getting totally bogged down these days with spurious and trivial questions that have already been answered at length elsewhere. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »

Brian just one quick thing to say to u we have moderated like u in our club which in turn is scaring new members away I'm 14 I would not even entertain scratch building yet people aren't perfect we learn some where help people don't put them down moderated

Yellow card issued for abusive language.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2186.msg21366#msg21366

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »

While he may have not expressed it too diplomatically, Brian does have a point. It's pretty obvious that 1/12th scale fittings would be out of place on a 1/33th scale boat I would have thought. You do need to do a bit of homework to understand these issues otherwise you will never get to grips with the subject. I was scratch building at a much younger age than 14, in those days you didn't have much option, it just needs a bit of applied thought to understand what you are doing, that is the best way to learn.

A good way to start is to scale down a typical human being. An average height might be 175cm. Apply your scale to that which at 1/33th will come out at 5.3cm. make up a drawing of a little man to that size and compare it with your boat, that will give you a good idea of the size of fittings you can use.

Colin

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Thank u Colin I understand what your saying but when u are just asking a question which may be simple to some people it may be hard for others to understand that is why I think Brian the way he spoke is wrong yes there are some very skill full people out there who scratch build but if there not a engineer or have no background or help in that section it's harder simple it's a hobby boat building and sailing there some people who only buy rtr as they don't have the skill and people like Brian with there comments about how the should no the scale are wrong really or they are silly this is what scares people away from the hobby

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:24:06 pm »

Scratch building doesn't entail the ability to make museum quality models. In the MyHobbyStore Plans range there are lots of straightforward projects where almost all the information you need is included on the drawings. Scratch building isn't something to be avoided as 'too difficult'. There are many instances where you can produce a good model with relatively little effort. Of course it does help if you do a bit of reading up beforehand from some of the excellent books available but learing how to develop your skills is all part of the fun and very satisfying. It also gives you a practical understanding into making things for yourself. Just saying ' I haven't got the skill' is ducking the issue. Like everything it is something you have to work at. Skills have to be developed. they don't come out of thin air!

Having said that, kits are a very good way into the hobby as they help you develop your skills to the extent that you can tackle scratch building with some confidence. The problem with this as is it is that many kits these days come with supplied hulls so we now have a generation of model boaters who are reasonably happy with tackling the above deck construction of a model but shy away from building the hull which is a shame as building a hull can be very satisfying and not at all difficult once you know what you are about.

If all you want to do is to run boats on the water then RTR is fine, but if you want to really get into the hobby of model boating then you do need to develop your constructional skills and all the information you need to do so is out there for the asking.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 09:28:30 pm »

To add another note to Colin's posting about scratch building; or building from a plan - no doubt you will have seen the Vosper MTB build in the master class section this was specifically aimed at a person with very little/no knowledge of working from a plan and being able to go into the shop and purchase all of the items from a well stocked model shop along with basiic tools e.g. steel ruler, a decent craft knife and several grades of sandpaper.   There is no wizardry involved in making models from scratch; and it is not for those who are gifted with engineering knowledge or age or gender as long as one is willing to try and have the patience.

aye

john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »

Thank u Colin i have brought my first plank boat yesterday ordered the billings mary Ann I just want to make the deck a bit better with some parts that's why I was asking In first place

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:43 pm »

Well done with the Mary Ann, if you run into problems or have any queries then just ask on here and you will get all the advice you need. I'm sure you will produce a model to be proud of.

Colin

davidm1945

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:08 pm »

and being able to go into the shop and purchase all of the items from a well stocked model shop

Do any of these endangered species still exist or are they now extinct?
(Quote from sales assistant in Antics when I mentioned model boats "Sorry ,mate we only do radio-controlled cars".

Dave.

brianB6

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 12:09:17 am »

As a retired Architect who has been drawing for 50 years, I still have to remember that there are people who cannot read a map, let alone a working drawing,  {:-{ and make allowances for it.
There are fewer and fewer all round model shops if there ever were many.
Ours in Oz seem to concentrate on one speciality, planes, cars, railways and occasionally, Boats.
I suppose that with the variety of items available for each hobby, it would be impossible for every Hobby shop to carry everything.
At least when one visits the shop, the sales person should know about the hobby they are catering for.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:26 am »

As a retired Architect who has been drawing for 50 years, I still have to remember that there are people who cannot read a map, let alone a working drawing,  {:-{ and make allowances for it...

Good point.
I was lucky, I went to secondary school in the days when every boy did Technical Drawing, as a compulsory subject up to age 14 (as well as woodwork and metalwork).
It is easy to forget that students don't do this any more.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:10 am »

:embarrassed: ...TT...45 years ago....in OZ...when we had completed a Drawing....which could have been a plan ...elevation & end elevation of some obscure thingie with many differing faces & angles  >>:-( ....with all of the cross intersecting proof transition lines remaining for Teacher   :police: to review   <*< ............

Well before the final presentation we rubbed plain white bread [without the crusts] over the Drawing sheet to remove some of the rubber marks.........& remember there were no plastic erasers back then......... ;D ....

Can you relate to this brianB6? .............as you were just down the road a bit in Melbourne........ {-) Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:49 am »

:embarrassed: ...TT...45 years ago....in OZ...when we had completed a Drawing....which could have been a plan ...elevation & end elevation of some obscure thingie with many differing faces & angles  >>:-( ....with all of the cross intersecting proof transition lines remaining for Teacher   :police: to review   <*< ............

Well before the final presentation we rubbed plain white bread [without the crusts] over the Drawing sheet to remove some of the rubber marks.........& remember there were no plastic erasers back then......... ;D ....

Can you relate to this brianB6? .............as you were just down the road a bit in Melbourne........ {-) Derek

I remember that well, and this from Scotland, probably 55 years ago!

How time flies.

Peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 11:38:42 am »

To go back to the O/Ps question, the denominator (the number that sits under No1) is the number needed to make a full sized one, so if it's 1/12, you need 12 end to end to make a full sized one. Similarly 1/33 is 33 to make a full sized one. So a Lifeboat at 1/12 is managable to carry but a Destroyer at that scale tends to need a trailer to move.

We forget the degeneration of how to do things started with programmes like Watchdog in the early 60s when it became obvious that to try to remember that three wires (Of different colours) had the ability to be connected in six different combinations, only one being correct, was too much to remember and that we should use a fold up garden chair as a carrot chopper.

For the Architects and Draughties, AutoCad screwed scales as everything is drawn at full size.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:46:41 am »

I find a handy way to understand scales is to make a man to the scale you are using,
Divide his hight, say 6 foot / (72 inches) by the scale, so a figure at 1/12 would be72 inches divided by 12 give you 6 inches..
below is a Maggie M at 1/32 with a 1/12 man sat on the deck, not very realistic. Next to him is a figure at about the right scale. and then infront of him is a HO scale figure, about 1/86 (?) you can only just make him out!!
You could just draw a figure on cardboard at the right scale to hold against fitting to see if they look right

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:08:40 am »

I find a handy way to understand scales is to make a man to the scale you are using,
Divide his hight, say 6 foot / (72 inches) by the scale, so a figure at 1/12 would be72 inches divided by 12 give you 6 inches..
below is a Maggie M at 1/32 with a 1/12 man sat on the deck, not very realistic. Next to him is a figure at about the right scale. and then infront of him is a HO scale figure, about 1/86 (?) you can only just make him out!!
You could just draw a figure on cardboard at the right scale to hold against fitting to see if they look right

Scale 1:87  3.5mm/foot.   :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

spitfire

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

sorry mate way to big.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.