Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 927208 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1575 on: December 06, 2019, 10:49:11 am »

Spain has captured a 'Narcosub' that crossed the Atlantic with 6 tons of Cocaine!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a30085631/spain-narcosub/

Yes, and incredible journey in what is basically a home made surface runner.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1576 on: December 06, 2019, 11:18:58 am »

As some people will know, the Mid Thames MBC is being ejected from Beale Park by March 2020 after nearly 40 years and being told to 'clear their stuff away'. The new Trustees don't want to be associated with model boating in any form and Richard Howard's unique collection of models is being put into 'storage'. I believe some have already been sold. I was told a while back that a number of these models were in fact on loan.

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/model-boat-club-at-beale-park-forced-to-find-new-home/

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1577 on: December 06, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »

Spain has captured a 'Narcosub' that crossed the Atlantic with 6 tons of Cocaine!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a30085631/spain-narcosub/

As they have captured one a lot of the questions in the article will have been answered.

I wonder if these are meant to be single use or if the crew were expecting to sail back to South America. It also occurs to me that it might have come most of the way as deck cargo on another ship.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #1578 on: December 06, 2019, 06:01:01 pm »

As some people will know, the Mid Thames MBC is being ejected from Beale Park by March 2020 after nearly 40 years and being told to 'clear their stuff away'. The new Trustees don't want to be associated with model boating in any form and Richard Howard's unique collection of models is being put into 'storage'. I believe some have already been sold. I was told a while back that a number of these models were in fact on loan.

Typical knee jerk reaction to a minority's views who think they're more important than anyone else.   <:(
Regards
Kit

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1579 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:09 pm »

This is well worth a viewing all ships names as well as the ones playing their part very good restoration DVD
The Battles of Coronel and Falkland Islands(1927)
https://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b6f27aaf9

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1580 on: December 06, 2019, 08:06:51 pm »

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/model-boat-club-at-beale-park-forced-to-find-new-home/

Colin

It is a shame that model boating is going to cease at Beale Park. It has been a great venue for events in the past, but places priorities change and groups have to adapt. We have been moved on from our home of nineteen years at Eastney Pumping Station, to a temporary (15 month ) home at the ex-Royal Marines Museum, to a waterfront site at Explosion Museum in Gosport ( 11 months ), to another more permanent building at the same site, we feel your pain! It is, however, a good opportunity to thin out some of the tat that has been accumulating over the years. I think we managed about fifteen car loads of 'tip run' tat over the various moves. It does concentrate the mind!
On the subject of the model boat collection and the pavilion. Following the sad passing of Richard Howard a few years ago, it was obvious that the model boats were on borrowed time. The pavilion has a most interesting history, and to have just been a model boat display for the last twenty years has, on reflection, detracted from that history. I am not saying that the collection was a bad idea, but as stated in the article, it was a very niche display. I always enjoyed a wander round it, ideas for fresh projects often came from what was displayed inside. However, it was never really part of the sites appeal to the wider public.
Very sad that the door would appear to now be firmly closed on any more model boating at Beale.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RST

« Reply #1581 on: December 06, 2019, 09:54:41 pm »

With no connection or experience at all, but a keen voyeur of many years I am very sad to hear of the Beale Park decision. One would not have seen that coming. Perhaps a Costa Coffe and free wi-fi hub is a better move for the space .......seems to be the way now.

Rich

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1582 on: December 06, 2019, 10:58:40 pm »

The boats that were on display in the pavillion were just a tiny part of the collection as over 1500 models were counted, so many were already in "storage". Although I left MTMBC several years ago to pursue other interests I still follow their activities via the website and it looks like they have managed to find a new venue so the club is not dead yet. Many happy memories of sailing at Beale and particularly of the great shows that we managed to put on.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #1583 on: December 16, 2019, 07:13:56 pm »

Sorry, guys, buit this isn't boats...or politics....or climate crisis....or Strictly. It's two native Nottingham nutters doing something very silly (again) for charity. The Trussell Trust is one of the most precious charities I can think of. Support them and smile. After all, Mariah Carey doesn't really need any more money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-WCAEwMJhI
DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #1584 on: December 16, 2019, 07:22:28 pm »

{-) O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1585 on: December 28, 2019, 06:21:46 pm »

This would bring tears to a glass eye..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-50933575
DaveM

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1586 on: December 28, 2019, 07:34:36 pm »

Sorry, guys, buit this isn't boats...or politics....or climate crisis....or Strictly. It's two native Nottingham nutters doing something very silly (again) for charity. The Trussell Trust is one of the most precious charities I can think of. Support them and smile. After all, Mariah Carey doesn't really need any more money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-WCAEwMJhI
DaveM

Mariah Carey ?

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1587 on: December 28, 2019, 10:50:33 pm »

Mariah Carey ?
At the time I posted this Ms Carey was in competition with Ladbaby for the Christmas #1 spot. She didn't make it.  <:(

Dave M

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1588 on: December 28, 2019, 11:41:49 pm »

aah, I see.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1589 on: January 02, 2020, 11:02:02 pm »

Just spotted this on the Beeb's news website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50977310
Perhaps they're looking for intelligent life-forms?  8)
DaveM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1590 on: January 03, 2020, 11:14:55 pm »

It'd be a waste of time flying over Parliament house in Canberra if that's what they're looking for %)

Peter.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1591 on: January 07, 2020, 05:34:03 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51017852
Whisper it very quietly but the owner of a certain model boats Internet forum was once employed in the basement of this company's Peterborough HQ to look after their IT....... Could this be some sort of revenge/payback??  :o
No names - no pack-drill..............
DaveM

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1592 on: January 07, 2020, 06:02:32 pm »

I was laid off from there..... headline did bring a wry smile to me today!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ropy Boating .
« Reply #1593 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:24 pm »

Seems that the Ruskies nautical manners are as bad as their driving on the road
russian-and-us-warships-almost-collide-in-arabian-sea
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1594 on: January 11, 2020, 06:13:19 pm »

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1595 on: March 18, 2020, 10:45:23 am »

Lovely video clip on BBC News

Two lady violinists dressed in tux suits and lifejackets play Closer My God To Thee from the movie Titanic in the empty toilet roll aisle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-51942217/coronavirus-violinists-play-titanic-hymn-in-front-of-empty-toilet-paper-aisle
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1596 on: March 21, 2020, 07:14:50 pm »

John Lewis Stores  closing as of March 23rd.Most food halls  staying open  (excluding Bluewater, Southampton and Watford)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1597 on: March 21, 2020, 08:02:40 pm »

... and Peterborough. Staff asked to help out at Waitrose.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1598 on: March 26, 2020, 10:28:28 am »

Breaking news on Sky states 7 russian warships active in the channel and North Sea - Royal Navy shadowing.

Regards,
Ray.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1599 on: March 26, 2020, 10:55:44 am »

I hope they are social distancing, the Russians are probably posturing for a take over of an unsuspecting territory
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 94   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.