Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 94   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 927231 times)

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #475 on: December 30, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

The guy lived his life pushing the limits of what is possible, must be hard to fill the gap left since he stopped racing
If he wants to do extreme skiing its his decision & its fine as long as it dosent risk other peoples lives.
I wasn't his biggest fan, but I also admired his achievements.

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #476 on: December 30, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »

Of course, everyone does what he wants from his life;
But who will pay for the helicopter? 6000 euros per hour,
who will pay the rescuers, in the case of Shumacker there was no risk to get him,
but all other ......................
if we did pay all unconscious that rescuers will find there would be fewer types off piste

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #477 on: December 30, 2013, 05:33:34 pm »

Bit over the top hear Gazou, I think you will probably find that more people are killed or seriously injured on the recognised ski routes, these also need medical treatment At least he was with other people. 8)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #478 on: December 30, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »

M Schumacher would quite happily buy a new Helo
if he pulls through.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #479 on: December 30, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »

yes the longbuild there are more people killed on the track
but there are many many more people too!

yes there were other people: his son!
very good education: taking her son in forbidden places!! ! ! ! !

Have you an idea of the cost of rescues per year to get people who do not obey, including the Russian believe that any permit.
We head over to pay for these people without laws

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #480 on: December 30, 2013, 11:02:02 pm »

Dear GAZOU........I think we must stand back & think about this more

I am reminded of world circumnavigation attempts by yachtsmen & women who have been rescued in the great southern ocean by our HMAS Naval vessels.... :embarrassed: ...how much did this rescue [Mon 30 Sep 2013, 12:35pm AEST] cost ?........who paid for it?

A rescue helo may be $5000.00 per hour in OZ.......... [I have a colleague ...ex Naval helo pilot who now is a Westpac emergency helo pilot]..........

A 5000 tonne HMAS destroyer or frigate may cost ten fold per hour of a single helo ...is it not our duty of care?

If the skier had been a plumber of school teacher the world media would not be concerned..........Derek

"Navy rescues French sailors off NSW coast after yacht sinks
Updated Mon 30 Sep 2013, 12:35pm AEST

MAP: Jervis Bay 2540
Two sailors have spent the night aboard a navy frigate after their yacht sank off the south-east coast of New South Wales.

The Frenchmen were forced to abandon their yacht when it sunk in rough conditions about 360 miles east of Jervis Bay yesterday.

The men were winched from a small boat by a Navy Seahawk Helicopter.

The Navy says the recovery operation went smoothly.

"The Rescue Coordination Centre did a great job managing a number of assets including ourselves, fixed wing aircraft and the merchant vessel Williams Strait," said HMAS Perth Commanding Officer Captain Lee Goddard in a statement.

"The final piece of the rescue saw the Seahawk helicopter use its night vision capability to ensure a successful outcome."

The sailors have spent the night aboard HMAS Perth and were suffering from mild hypothermia.

Captain Goddard says the pair are now safe and well on dry land.

"The same Navy Seahawk departed HMAS Perth...and they returned to their home base at HMAS Albatross in Nowra," he said.

"When they arrived the French nationals Bernard and Dominic were met by officials and I've had reported, very happy and very safely on the Australian mainland
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #481 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:46 pm »

Gazou,
You seem to be concerned about the cost of the rescue.
I maybe wrong but I always understood that France charged the full cost back to the person
Who was injured, hence why it was always a demand that you needed travel insurance for France that covered for emergency services.

In the UK our emergency services do not charge. The RNLI is well know that they do it for free,
Search and rescue helicopters (RAF and RN) officially are carrying out "training" when they rescue people as they are training for when they require to save downed aircrew.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #482 on: December 31, 2013, 01:23:05 am »

Here in Australia the main rescue helicopter services do not receive large amounts of government funding, but rely to a extensively on corporate and private donations. They also do not charge for rescues or medical evacuations. 15 years ago I had the misfortune to break a leg on Great Keppel Island, fracturing the tibia and fibula quite badly. I was transported from the island to Rockhampton Base Hospital by the Rockhampton based Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service, at absolutely no cost to me. Westpac, one of Australia's so-called "Big Four" banks, support the Westpac Lifesaver rescue Helicopter Service in many areas of the country. We have one based near us in Lismore, which does a fantastic job.

Below is a shot from the service's web site showing a rescue in progress, a dirt bike rider injured west of Lismore being carried to the chopper.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #483 on: December 31, 2013, 02:01:33 am »

I am pretty sure that all the insurance companies keep the rescue helos in France fully funded. I am pretty sure that Schumacher would have had full insurance.

I also see comments in the tabloid press, regarding the cost of rescues at sea, of people like Tony Bullimore and other adventurers  by the Navy. These warships would have been running anyway, the sailors are already employed, there is no additional cost burden. Regarding the costs of flying hours, most navies and air forces of the world see air sea and mountain rescue as training exercises. If there were no peacetime rescues then the forces would need to devise training exercises. Pilots must maintain their hours and crews must maintain their skills.

As mentioned by others, the likes of the RNLI, and many air ambulance services are paid for by donation.

In answer to the question, 'Who pays?', a very easy easy dogma trap to fall into btw.
Who doesn't pay?
No additional cost to tax payers.
If the bank is sponsoring an air ambulance, it is marketing, better that the money goes to an air ambulance than to an advertising company. As that money will be budgeted for and spent anyway, there is no extra cost to the customer.

Who does pay?
If you buy holiday insurance, that is part of what you pay for. The service will be there should you need it. There will also be others who benefit from the service just being available.
All those good people who are generous enough to donate to the charities that support rescue services, be it RNLI, air ambulance, mountain rescue teams, or other. And all those volunteers who do the rescuing or supporting by fund raising, or other work. I doubt any of whom will be heard asking, "Who Pays?"

Just  my 2c.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #484 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:46 am »

tt...........generally I fully agree with your paragraph 2...........been there & helped with those things........

'I also see comments in the tabloid press, regarding the cost of rescues at sea, of people like Tony Bullimore and other adventurers  by the Navy. These warships would have been running anyway, the sailors are already employed, there is no additional cost burden. Regarding the costs of flying hours, most navies and air forces of the world see air sea and mountain rescue as training exercises. If there were no peacetime rescues then the forces would need to devise training exercises. Pilots must maintain their hours and crews must maintain their skills'

I have crossed out the line about fuel costs ....as our OZ Navy was near "broke" when Mr Bullimore experienced his issue & an OZ FFG sailed from my old work place to assist.........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #485 on: December 31, 2013, 03:34:07 am »

Hi Derek

You have of course found the exception that proves the rule. That was an exceptional time. Hopefully the Royal Australian Navy is no longer in that position? Luckily the Royal Navy has not reached that level yet.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #486 on: December 31, 2013, 09:44:22 am »

In France and in principle in all the countries of the West European rescue people free

The basic premise is simple: the mountain rescue is free safe on the ski slopes. Definition of the ski slopes: where you can come down(fall) by leaving down from the ski lift. It seems that the jurisprudence does not impose return on the bottom(stocking) of the station(resort). Then, according to the gravity of the wound, the victim can be taken care on the ski slopes by the services(departments) of state of the mountain rescue with the aim of a fast evacuation towards an adequate hospital. At sea the rescue of the person is free. (Some make an excessive use of it) only the rescue of the material(equipment) is paying .En France we do not ask for the insurance(assurance) to look after people, we look rich or poor (many foreigners make an excessive use of it) There is an European card(map) of health insurance which avoids paying out

In France we do not ask the insurance to treat people, they treat rich and poor (many foreigners abuse)
There is a European insurance card diseases that avoids pay for treatment.

Schumacher was free treatment by doctors and surgeons French, he has a residence in France. It may pay to have a "particular hotel service" (1 person room, satellite TV, individual meals) it however there is a fee of 1 euro that do not pay the poor.

A Portuguese friend was wounded in France, he was treated for free.
My mother had to be hospitalized in the U.S., we had to pay first ..................

Here we have a "famous navigator" who was often on the roof.
It cost a fortune to the New Zealand Navy (us too)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #487 on: December 31, 2013, 10:44:45 am »

11AM FRANCE
The health of Michael Schumacher is " slight improvement " according to doctors at the hospital in Grenoble (Isère) . Suffered a serious skiing accident Sunday along tracks in Meribel ( Savoie) the old driver is hospitalized
At a press conference , doctors explained that after a new operation, "the situation is better controlled than yesterday (Monday) ."
The effects of a severe head injury depends in part on the initial lesions of the patient. Even if Michael Schumacher are serious , Professor Safran , chief of the ICU anesthesia in Paris , within the European Hospital Georges Pompidou , said Tuesday in " Le Parisien " - "Today in France " all hypotheses are possible :" He may die , have serious sequelae, with paralysis or loss of understanding but at the same time, it can escape unscathed . " However, he says that " the small veins of the brain were torn during the violent impact when it fell to ski , despite the helmet " and that the case of the older driver is serious because there had a " shaking of the brain." A source close to the investigation into the circumstances of the accident said that " the helmet ( Schumacher ) was broken into two parts " on impact.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #488 on: December 31, 2013, 10:57:12 am »

11AM FRANCE
The health of Michael Schumacher is " slight improvement " according to doctors at the hospital in Grenoble (Isère) .

good to hear,.....now can we have a stop to all these arguments and say a little prayer for shooey's recovery instead.
thanks.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #489 on: December 31, 2013, 11:37:28 am »

The health of Michael Schumacher was a slight improvement and " better controlled " Tuesday after a second operation that allowed Monday night to evacuate a hematoma to the brain, doctors said Tuesday CHU Grenoble / La Tronche to the press.

Formula 1 is "not out of danger ," living in a " critical condition " and " fragile" 48 hours after hitting a rock head at full speed while skiing off-piste in Meribel ( Savoie) sector , they said .

A " temporary improvement " , however, appeared late Monday afternoon at a new scanner , allowing the medical team to perform a second operation for nearly two hours to " evacuate a hematoma on the right " .

"Yesterday vision scanner we were a little surprised" by this "improvement" , commented Prof. Emmanuel Gay, chief of neurosurgery. According to him, the hematoma evacuated " existed " but yesterday it was " no question " of surgery.

A CT scan showed Tuesday morning that the evacuation of the hematoma was " correct and satisfactory ," said Professor Jean -François Payen , head of the ICU . "The situation is better controlled " on Monday .

No prognosis is only possible on the health of the champion, always placed and maintained under hypothermic coma . His " other damage " the brain does not " let not predict much more than time surveillance," according to Professor Payen .

"For the moment , consider a transfer would be dangerous ," said the doctor.

Present at the " title of friend " since Sunday , Professor Gérard Saillant, who now heads the Institute of the brain and spinal cord , called the many journalists from around the world "not to put pressure on the medical world . "

"Do not tell if it won + + . Must say that there are ups and downs and it's a bit better than yesterday , that globally over 24 hours is a bit better than before. But we must be realistic , " he has said.

Of the family , always present at his bedside , is " very sensitive to what is being done " by the doctors, he has add

The health of Michael Schumacher was a slight improvement and " better controlled " Tuesday after a second operation that allowed Monday night to evacuate a hematoma to the brain, doctors said Tuesday CHU Grenoble / La Tronche to the press.

Formula 1 is "not out of danger ," living in a " critical condition " and " fragile" 48 hours after hitting a rock head at full speed while skiing off-piste in Meribel ( Savoie) sector , they said .

A " temporary improvement " , however, appeared late Monday afternoon at a new scanner , allowing the medical team to perform a second operation for nearly two hours to " evacuate a hematoma on the right " .

"Yesterday vision scanner we were a little surprised" by this "improvement" , commented Prof. Emmanuel Gay, chief of neurosurgery. According to him, the hematoma evacuated " existed " but yesterday it was " no question " of surgery.

A CT scan showed Tuesday morning that the evacuation of the hematoma was " correct and satisfactory ," said Professor Jean -François Payen , head of the ICU . "The situation is better controlled " on Monday .

No prognosis is only possible on the health of the champion, always placed and maintained under hypothermic coma . His " other damage " the brain does not " let not predict much more than time surveillance," according to Professor Payen .

"For the moment , consider a transfer would be dangerous ," said the doctor.

Present at the " title of friend " since Sunday , Professor Gérard Saillant, who now heads the Institute of the brain and spinal cord , called the many journalists from around the world "not to put pressure on the medical world . "

"Do not tell if it won + + . Must say that there are ups and downs and it's a bit better than yesterday , that globally over 24 hours is a bit better than before. But we must be realistic , " he has said.

Of the family , always present at his bedside , is " very sensitive to what is being done " by the doctors, he has added

Copy newspaper article Voila.fr

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #490 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:37 am »

Hate to think how much the numpty who created a fire in the cabin at the weekend has cost the tax payer, Helicopters, Lifeboats etc. >>:-(

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #491 on: December 31, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »

Hate to think how much the numpty who created a fire in the cabin at the weekend has cost the tax payer, Helicopters, Lifeboats etc. >>:-(

Regards   Ian.
<:(

http://news.sky.com/story/1188631/north-sea-ferry-fire-man-charged-with-arson

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #492 on: December 31, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »

Pity the boat doesn't have a Keel.

Regards   Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #493 on: December 31, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »

Pity the boat doesn't have a Keel.

Regards   Ian.

Does it have a bow thruster  %) %)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Nordsee

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #495 on: December 31, 2013, 04:44:30 pm »

... and it will still run on rails.  O0
If the Trains are built by Siemens, they will be either so late they are never delivered or breakdown all the time...

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #496 on: December 31, 2013, 07:01:40 pm »

Sometimes I am ashamed to belong to the North East, glad to say he isnt a Geordie, he comes from Sunderland (a Mackem) not that it makes any difference.He Needs to be tried for attempted manslaughter - the scumbag.  Sorry Circlip, keelhauling aint good enough for this low life.   Sorry I wouldnt even clog the bowthruster up with him.  They should have just thrown him overboard, without a life jacket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25558197

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #497 on: December 31, 2013, 07:41:59 pm »

Sometimes I am ashamed to belong to the North East, glad to say he isnt a Geordie, he comes from Sunderland (a Mackem) not that it makes any difference.He Needs to be tried for attempted manslaughter - the scumbag.  Sorry Circlip, keelhauling aint good enough for this low life.   Sorry I wouldnt even clog the bowthruster up with him.  They should have just thrown him overboard, without a life jacket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25558197

aye
john

agree with you whole heartedly John.........not fit to breathe the same  air as decent folks >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #498 on: December 31, 2013, 07:49:00 pm »

agree with you whole heartedly John.........not fit to breath the same  air as decent folks >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

It makes your blood boil when you see the cretinous grin on his face, does he not know how dangerous fire is at sea ?  >>:-( >>:-(
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #499 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »

It makes your blood boil when you see the cretinous grin on his face, does he not know how dangerous fire is at sea ?  >>:-( >>:-(

Well, he was probably moderated , so I doubt if the concepts of fire, sea and danger mean anything to him at all.  moderated
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 94   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.