Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 927224 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #825 on: August 20, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »

BBC:
Hundreds of ships and boats sail into Amsterdam.
       http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33995082

The five-day festival, which celebrates the Dutch capital's maritime history, sees approximately 600 vessels navigate the North Sea Canal before mooring around the river IJ.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #826 on: September 04, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »

Tall ship "Zebu" sinks in Liverpool's Albert Dock.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-34151006

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #827 on: September 10, 2015, 06:53:21 pm »

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #828 on: September 10, 2015, 08:26:27 pm »

In the link it says that it was a record attempt, and that clear skies changed to fog.  Perhaps there was too much clear sky between the drivers ears.  If you are still alive you have a chance of another try another day.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #829 on: September 19, 2015, 07:25:44 pm »

Following on from the earlier posts in this thread about the iconic Flying Scotsman, the locomotive's return to service has now been announced. This item appeared in the Manchester Evening News a couple of days ago. The locomotive will return to service in January 2016, running on the 9th, 10th, 16th and 17th January at the East Lancashire Railway before commencing a mainline schedule.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/flying-scotsman-bury-appearance-tickets-10083670

inertia

« Reply #830 on: September 19, 2015, 11:22:34 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34304203
A drastic change in subject, but the passing of a true British 'one-off' should not go unnoticed. I particularly enjoyed his comment about being gay - "I never really came out - I just slowly emerged...."
RIP Brian Sewell. They really did break the mould.
Dave M

inertia

« Reply #831 on: September 27, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »

Another candidate for a Darwin award............ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34374121
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #832 on: September 27, 2015, 11:40:57 pm »

That idiotic act even made it on to our news last night - definitely a top contender for the Darwin Award O0

Peter.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #833 on: September 28, 2015, 07:52:12 am »

Nah - he didn't qualify because he survived.  The prime qualification for the Darwin award is that the stunt should be both fatal and happen before breeding takes place.

inertia

« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:25 am »

Nah - he didn't qualify because he survived.  The prime qualification for the Darwin award is that the stunt should be both fatal and happen before breeding takes place.
It's only a matter of time, Malcolm.................. 8)
DM

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #835 on: September 28, 2015, 08:15:35 pm »

A new location for Mayhem's 2050 event has been found -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34384101

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2015, 08:52:53 pm »

Dear, Oh Dear, its Martin not Martian.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

inertia

« Reply #837 on: October 06, 2015, 12:02:10 pm »

There's very little I can say other than one wonders if the Founding Fathers had this in mind when they declared the universal right for every citizen to carry a gun. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841
If you follow up the link to the Gun Violence Archive the figures they give are truly mind-numbing. It's a shame for the sake of these ex-people that the NRA still prevails. I'm sure there is a word for its members.....
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #838 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:23 pm »

I don't think it is just the NRA, the love of guns seems to be engrained in the American psyche. There was an article in, I think the Sunday Times, over the weekend in which an American was attempting to explain why carrying guns is a natural feature of the American way of life and that us (presumably wimpish) Europeans just don't 'get it'. As for assault weapons in civilan hands, apparently they are just ordinary common or garden guns with a few extras bolted on so nothing to get excited about.  %)

Also the local sheriff and pastor in the town where the latest mass shooting occurred were of the view that it wouldn't have happened if all those poor students had been armed. Presidential candidate Jeb Bush's comment was that 'stuff happens'.

When you look at the Middle East, the countries there seem to be full of religious zealots waving guns. When you look at America it seems to be much the same...

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #839 on: October 06, 2015, 01:31:24 pm »

You only have to look at American TV programmes.  It seems the majority feature lots of people waving and firing guns.  In these 'sanitised' dramas the 'good guy' with the gun always saves the day by killing the 'bad guy' with a gun.  To most of them 32,000 gun fatalities a year seems acceptable.
I visited a gun shop in Nashville a while back and was surprised at how cheap these over the counter WMD were. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #840 on: October 06, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »

When I lived in the States, and I was about 8-9 I had a Steel BB Rifle, myself and a few friends used to cycle along the main road with our guns openly strapped to our backs to go and shoot at Tin cans on the dry River bed about a mile from my house, not once were we stopped by anyone, and to be honest never thought we would.  I wonder if I tried that now if I would make it to the spot without being stopped. ?

While there using the gun Not once did I ever feel the inclination to take a pot shot at someone or even point it in jest at anyone, and if I had , I would not have done it a second time if my dad had found out., who also had his service revolver.

inertia

« Reply #841 on: October 08, 2015, 07:05:28 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34478784
Messi is paid $50M per year by Barcelona. Sponsorship deals probably double that income. Let's call it $100M, or £74M.
He is said to be worth $74M (Forbes List 2015). Gets through it, doesn't he?
The average annual public sector salary in Argentina, where he comes from, is about £10K - before tax. Many people earn far less than that.
In Spain, where he works, it is approx £14,500 - before tax. ---------------------------------- ditto ---------------------------------------------

I hope his fans recognise his conduct for what it is.

He might be a 'great' footballer - but as a man he is beneath my contempt.

Dave M

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #842 on: October 08, 2015, 11:14:57 pm »

Too much money, not enough intelligence >>:-(

Peter.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #843 on: October 12, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »

Henry V warship Holigost 'may be buried in River Hamble
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-34503044
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #844 on: October 19, 2015, 07:28:49 pm »

Worst ever Football stretcher bearers!  {-) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34570876
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #845 on: October 19, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »

Stavros

« Reply #846 on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:05 pm »

Thank goodness these don't have a job in the Blackpool Hospital where I visited over the weekend

Dave

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #847 on: October 23, 2015, 09:16:12 am »

Looks like I have to change all me passwords again!   >>:-(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34611857 - TalkTalk cyber-attack: Website hit by 'significant' breach

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #848 on: October 23, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »

If you think that is bad whatever you do don't die in Spain (this is from actual experience). When I lived in Spain in Rojales Hills a man was out running and collapsed having had a heart attack, my neighbour, a nurse by the way, and I went to assist then realised we need an ambulance. The abridged version is the Policia Locale arrived and stopped us giving the guy first aid compressions etc they were followed by the Guardia Civil 4 cars telling us not to go near or touch the man. I ended up screaming and shouting at the Guardia and Policia to no avail, the poor man who I believe could have been saved was left lying in the gutter by these callous people covered by an aluminium foil blanket. I did not allow this and under threat of arrest laid the man onto the pavement. The ambulance arrived after approx. 30 minutes and refused to take the man as he was no longer alive, this resulted in this deceased man lying dead on the pavement in around 30 degrees heat for over two and a half hours.
     Afterwards I thought to myself what would my wife do if that happened to me outside our property! this and a number of other very important things prompted us to return to the UK.
     As a nation we need to realise that it is only the UK who abide by the rules of being in the EU or as it was sold to us Common Market.
        This only my opinion just to be politically correct, GRRRRRH!
              Rant over.
                    Faz.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #849 on: October 23, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »

I've heard that in some countries, the first person that come to the aid of someone in distress, HAS to foot ALL the subsequent bills if they do not have health insurance!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 94   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.