Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 927093 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #725 on: March 13, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »

Re United States:
There are reports that asbestos was removed when she was towed to Turkey to be stripped in 1992, no idea if that was all of it though. One of the problems in bringing her back into service was that her accommodation layout is based on several passenger classes with duplication of public spaces and totally unsuitable for the modern cruise market. There would have been problems with the power plant too, which was based on the Midway class aircraft carriers I think. When she was originally in service the engines had to be kept warmed through while she was in port by slowly turning the props all the time to avoid metal expansion and contraction. It would be nice to see her preserved but it would only be a superficial shell of the original ship laid up alongside somewhere as nothing of her original interiors and fittings remains.

Queen Mary has been luckier but still has a rather precarious existence financially and much of her interiors are still intact. We spent a night aboard back in 2001 and my Wife had to literally drag me off the ship next morning to continue our trip.

Colin

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #726 on: March 13, 2015, 01:36:35 pm »

Your correct in what you say about the Asbestos being removed , that was only in the machinery spaces / boiler rooms , what they found was that nearly EVERY cabin was a fireproof box lagged in the stuff & , interestingly, there is/was next to no WOOD on the ship (taking PARANOIA a little too far?)
The QE2 would be a fine attraction moored in the UK as a floating hotel , but typical of this country's 'brains' it was disposed of , I still think it'll end up scrap . . .
Bill

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #727 on: March 13, 2015, 02:12:03 pm »

It's a bit ironic about the asbestos on the United States then. The designer William Gibbs was indeed paranoid about making the ship totally fireproof and wouldn't allow wood anywhere, reputedly just a piano and the butchers block were wood. In making the ship fireproof he created a potentially greater hazard but they used asbestos for all sorts of things in those days. United States was a beautiful looking ship though, I saw her a few times at Southampton. Also I was making sandcastles on the beach on the Isle of Wight one day and watched her steam by, quite a way out to sea. About 20 minutes later a huge wave came flooding up the beach and around the deckchairs of the people sunning themselves! It caused quite a commotion!

I agree that QE2 is probably now a lost cause. All the engines are now permanently shut down and there are basically just a few caretakers/night watchmen left aboard which means that she will deteriorate fast now. If she had been switched to a new shoreside role immediately after being taken out of service there would have been a chance for her but there was no business plan in place acceptable to Cunard at the time and they certainly didn't want the ship being operated by anyone else.

Colin

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #728 on: March 13, 2015, 03:27:25 pm »

Well, I'm going to be contentious.
While I can just about see value in preserving a few warships or other vessels that have significantly interesting interiors, I really can't see the point in preserving liners where the only real interest is the external appearance. It's basically a box of (small) rooms inside. I'm sure there is the odd item of aesthetic value inside, but they are really just floating hotels.

For my money (literally), with a few exceptions like HMS Belfast or some other historic iron (eg. Mallard), if a large vessel, loco, aeroplane, etc, can't be 'preserved' as a working item then it's probably not worth the cost of keeping it at all.

People will say "Oh, it's history" but they aren't usually at the front of the queue to donate ££££s to the cost of upkeep of these things. Expecting a commercial company like Cunard or 'the government' to cough up cash for these projects is ... well ... unrealistic.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #729 on: March 13, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »

Sanitarium was founded in Melbourne by Edward Halsey, an American who was a baker at Kellogg's Battle Creek, but who migrated to Australia in 1897. Sanitarium Australia and Sanitarium New Zealand are 2 separate companies, but they work together, they are both wholly owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Because they are owned by a church the companies pay no income tax, something that has been severely criticised by their competitors.

Peter.
Sanitarium, does however sponsor, financially assists, Seventh Day Adventist schools, now called colleges, throughout Australia, which helps to keep the fees low for parents.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #730 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:31 am »

Sanitarium is actually owned by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the founder of the company was a member. They also own and run the Sydney Adventist Hospital in the northern Sydney suburb of Wahroonga. I was a patient there for a short time in the late 90s after suffering a kidney stone episode, it was like a 5 star hotel run by nurses and doctors, absolutely brilliant.

Peter.

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
USS Theodore Roosevelt
« Reply #731 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:47 pm »

The USS Theodore Roosevelt and the USS Winston S Churchill are arriving in Portsmouth on Sunday.
 Royal navy web site http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2015/march/20/150320-us-carrier-visits-portsmouth
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #732 on: March 23, 2015, 11:24:15 am »

BBC: The 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings  -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31712158

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #733 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:10 pm »

Happy to see Thundebirds back to TV tomorrow!
   :-)

Thunderbirds 4  on  River Thames

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2015-04-02/thunderbirds-are-go-along-the-river-thames/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #734 on: April 03, 2015, 07:44:15 pm »

Re United States:
There are reports that asbestos was removed when she was towed to Turkey to be stripped in 1992, no idea if that was all of it though. One of the problems in bringing her back into service was that her accommodation layout is based on several passenger classes with duplication of public spaces and totally unsuitable for the modern cruise market. There would have been problems with the power plant too, which was based on the Midway class aircraft carriers I think. When she was originally in service the engines had to be kept warmed through while she was in port by slowly turning the props all the time to avoid metal expansion and contraction. It would be nice to see her preserved but it would only be a superficial shell of the original ship laid up alongside somewhere as nothing of her original interiors and fittings remains.

Queen Mary has been luckier but still has a rather precarious existence financially and much of her interiors are still intact. We spent a night aboard back in 2001 and my Wife had to literally drag me off the ship next morning to continue our trip.

Colin

I visited the Queen Mary last year, she looks quite tired could do with some paint and a clean on the outside and a lot of her decks need repairing. The inside is really impressive, especially the engine room.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

inertia

« Reply #735 on: April 04, 2015, 11:10:01 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-32173459

The Clown Prosecution Service strikes again. I was particularly impressed by the last sentence; somehow it makes it all seem worthwhile. Croeso Cymru.

Dave M

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2015, 06:45:14 am »

I blame the CPS but Tesco didn't really need to press charges. What did they get out of it? 21.50? including victim compensation?
How much bad PR does this kind of thing generate? I am surprised Tesco head office allowed this to go forward with all the bad publicity they have had of late.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:45 am »

He was abusive and potentially violent. Tesco sticking up for its staff.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

inertia

« Reply #738 on: April 05, 2015, 08:54:35 am »

Then the charge was the wrong one. 'Criminal damage' says to the Tesco staff that a bottle of milk is more important to Tesco than their employees' H&S. Anyway, there's no offence in being potentially violent, unless it's a terrorist-related or conspiracy charge you're talking about. As for being verbally abusive, come on Dougal - you can hear much worse stuff than that from kids on the street.
Broadening the question, does anyone know whether the victim of a crime gets to decide if charges are pressed or not? For example, the guy who was assaulted by Clarkson has said that he doesn't want to press charges, yet the police are still investigating the incident and presumably will present a case to the CPS if they find enough evidence to charge him.
DM

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #739 on: April 05, 2015, 08:59:05 am »

I blame the CPS but Tesco didn't really need to press charges. What did they get out of it? 21.50? including victim compensation?
How much bad PR does this kind of thing generate? I am surprised Tesco head office allowed this to go forward with all the bad publicity they have had of late.
He was abusive and potentially violent. Tesco sticking up for its staff.  :-))
Quite right. How much is an acceptable level of misbehaviour or violence towers staff? A lot of shops have signs that say "We always prosecute shoplifters" and most people think that's reasonable.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #740 on: April 05, 2015, 09:04:06 am »

Then the charge was the wrong one. 'Criminal damage' says to the Tesco staff that a bottle of milk is more important to Tesco than their employees' H&S.
There probably wasn't enough evidence to be sure of a conviction on a more serious charge. We don't know the details but reading between the lines it sounds like this bloke was 'known' and Tesco/police decided he needed a proper warning off.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #741 on: April 07, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »

A new take on 'bread & butter' construction.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-32201995

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »

Should be Keelhauled made to pay for the rescue let alone given a criminal charge

Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #743 on: April 07, 2015, 08:20:49 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32202771

Oscar II SSGN Orel K-266 on fire in drydock , Wiki says she was due to have her stern shaft realigned and the reports are saying the fire was in her stern so probably caused by them cutting out sections of the outer hull to get at the shaft ( that or work on the aft dome of the pressure hull )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_Orel_%28K-266%29
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #744 on: April 10, 2015, 09:59:36 am »

BBC:  Cricket legend Richie Benaud dies aged 84.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32182999

inertia

« Reply #745 on: April 10, 2015, 12:07:58 pm »

My favourite Benaud story:
About 55 years ago my Dad was outside on the drive one bright Sunday morning, washing the family Hillman Minx, when three or four large black Humber saloons pulled up outside. A bloke leaned out of the passenger window of the first one and in a broad Australian accent said "Excuse me, sir, but could you tell us how to get to Radcliffe Golf Course? We appear to have turned the wrong way somewhere". That was the day Dad met Richie Benaud (and the rest of the Australian Test team), but he remembered it most as the day an Aussie called him "Sir"!!
DM

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #746 on: April 11, 2015, 12:34:16 am »

There are not too many people to whom the term "Legend" can be truthfully applied, but Richie Benaud was undoubtedly one of them. He was the voice of cricket, not only in Australia but in Britain as well. Always fair minded in his match commentary, his insights into the game were worth listening to, even if the cricket was at times dull. He will be sadly missed by all cricket followers around the world.

Peter.

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #747 on: April 11, 2015, 12:50:12 am »

There were to my mind two great cricket commentators - back when I was a kid we always listened to the Test Matches
on the old steam radio and it was John Arlott with his distinctive gravelly voice, then with the advent of cricket on TV
Richie Benaud became the the No 1 voice of Ashes cricket.  These type of characters probably won't be repeated in the
future

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #748 on: April 11, 2015, 03:08:13 am »

The first time I saw Richie Benaud was at the Royal Easter Show in Sydney, in either 1952 or 53. In the days before TV (Australia didn't get TV until 1956) we had to rely on newspaper photos to know what sports people looked like, and I can remember thinking how tall and broad shouldered he was. He was giving a batting and bowling demonstration at the show, and I, as a young lad of 15 or 16, was very impressed.

As Richie aged and his health diminished, his spot as principal commentator for the 9 Network was taken by Englishman, Mark Nicholas, whose work I enjoy immensely. However, Richie Benaud and his trademark light coloured jackets will never be truly replaced in the minds of cricket lovers.

I have just read that the Australian Government has offered his family a state funeral, an honour richly deserved.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #749 on: April 16, 2015, 10:23:48 am »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 94   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.