Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930853 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1275 on: May 19, 2018, 09:45:54 pm »

Hi, I think tourism is our biggest source of income.  It is just 10 % GDP for manufacturing, (U,S, is only 11%) Then there is money laundering, sorry banking and on downwards.
I am afraid we are here to be stared at, have you watched the programme running at this time on Heathrow?
regrds Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1276 on: May 19, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »

Its nothing to do with politics - its all about money. An event like this is a massive tourist attraction with an ongoing knock on effect in tems of attracting visitors to the UK. As UK citizens we all benefit from that.
I know a lot of people may have turned up their noses and refused to watch it on principle but that was rather silly really as it was certainly worth watching as a spectacle and the American pastor was quite entertaining although I doubt if he will be invited back.
You don't have to believe in all this stuff to acknowledge that it was a big plus for the UK overall and is likely to bring us significant financial benefits. Plus most of the ladies in the UK will have really enjoyed it, I bought mine a box of chocs to enhance the experience. Fortunately there are still some left.
Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1277 on: May 19, 2018, 09:54:09 pm »

Roads were quiet  :}

Great day they had to have a Wedding...

Best of British pageantry..

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1278 on: May 19, 2018, 11:59:45 pm »

I personally didn’t watch it...
But I did see some of the news coverage and could not believe
How it is playing across in the US, there were organised parties and events to watch the wedding.

Regardless of personal feelings with the pros and cons it will for sure put the uk in a good light
Across the globe for those who saw it.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1279 on: May 20, 2018, 07:46:30 am »

I wasn't going to watch it, but ended up doing so - it was either that or sit by myself in another room %) . I quite enjoyed it actually, although the American pastor was somewhat OTT, but typical southern evangelist and, as Colin said, entertaining. I am an unashamed Royalist, even though I'm 4th generation Aussie, I believe that the current system gives stability. I also love the pageantry and the history behind it; it was spectacular, made even more so by the glorious weather. We have been to Windsor and its castle a couple of times, which made it even more meaningful to us. It was certainly a much different event to any of the other Royal weddings I have watched on TV.

Peter.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1280 on: May 20, 2018, 08:21:22 am »

Regardless of personal feelings with the pros and cons it will for sure put the uk in a good light
Across the globe for those who saw it.

Yes, it is was nice to see a story coming out of the UK that was not gloomy, or overcast.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1281 on: May 20, 2018, 08:28:02 am »

Ref the Bovin potatoes.

Potatoes cooked in stock are still on a lot of menus today, going under the name of fondant potatoes. No reason why the stock could not be beef stock or even Bovril.
Saute potatoes can also be boiled before a quick fry to brown the outside. Frying in beef dripping also makes sense, especially at that point in history.
No reason not to combine the two.
The use of 'Franglaise' on menus also makes sense.

Someone also mentioned that this menu was during the last day of sea trials. Maybe a lot of owners were on board for the final shake down, hence the 1st class menu. It might also have been treated as a dress rehearsal with guest VIPs, and a shake down for the kitchens. Just a couple of thoughts.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1282 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:51 am »

I did like the Rolls that Megan arrived in, proper old school good looking car..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1283 on: May 20, 2018, 06:12:13 pm »

I did like the Rolls that Megan arrived in, proper old school good looking car..

Yes indeed, and I liked how it bowled down the avenue.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1284 on: May 20, 2018, 10:18:53 pm »

Ref. the Bovin potatoes:P..I always include an OXO Brand Chicken Stock Cube.....[they are actually a rectangular prism/box type shape] when boiling  potatoes ....

This Brand actually has real chicken in the blend....yes [Chicken Fat 3.4% and Chicken Extract 2%.........]

Other Brands market their product as Chicken Style stock cubes but are OK for Vergins as they are meat and meat by-product free >>:-(......Derek

oh BTW....yes I thought the Wedding was spectacular ....

I am sure someone will enlighten me .....why Harrys Military Wings faced down, bur Wills Military Wings faced up  %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1285 on: May 20, 2018, 10:38:26 pm »

Harry attained his wings as an Army helicopter pilot, whilst William's attained his as a RAF helicopter pilot and ne'er the two be mistaken.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1286 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:25 pm »

When I asked oxo about beef in their cubes at the time of the foot and mouth outbreak early 2000 they said no problem there is no Beef?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1287 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:11 pm »

Unless its changed  you had to pass fixed wing before you could go Rotary at least in the army

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1288 on: May 20, 2018, 11:55:22 pm »

Its nothing to do with politics - its all about money. An event like this is a massive tourist attraction with an ongoing knock on effect in tems of attracting visitors to the UK. As UK citizens we all benefit from that.
I know a lot of people may have turned up their noses and refused to watch it on principle but that was rather silly really as it was certainly worth watching as a spectacle and the American pastor was quite entertaining although I doubt if he will be invited back.
You don't have to believe in all this stuff to acknowledge that it was a big plus for the UK overall and is likely to bring us significant financial benefits. Plus most of the ladies in the UK will have really enjoyed it, I bought mine a box of chocs to enhance the experience. Fortunately there are still some left.
Colin

two words sum it up, Colin...….. National Pride...……..something GB has been lacking for a while...…….

I thought it was lovely...…..and the best part of it was watching Fergie's antics...……….i'm sure she'd been on the gin all morning before making her appearance...…...best part of the day {-) {-) {-) 

seriously though……….it was a great do, and probably a good shindig afterwards.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1289 on: May 21, 2018, 03:30:41 pm »

Unless its changed  you had to pass fixed wing before you could go Rotary at least in the army

both done elementary flying at RAFC Cranwell, but Harry was in the Army, Wills the RAF when they did it, hence
the different flying wings  :-))

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1290 on: May 21, 2018, 08:48:55 pm »

I don't think it has been picked up yet by the National's or anybody else for that matter but, the E-Type is a one off special, at present, for it is electrically driven. It has a far better performance than a "proper" E-type the drawback however, is that it only has a range of 168 miles!

At least it is the same colour as my XJs convertible :-))

LB

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1291 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:43 pm »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p065ffm0/the-royal-wedding-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-2-live-coverage 

Old Rolls Royce - 2:46:00

Faulty door?! -   2:59:35 ?!?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1292 on: May 22, 2018, 01:23:17 am »

Phantom 1V 1950 - 1956...…………….I believe the one in the Queens' garage is a 1950 model with the 5.7 V8 engine in her.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #1293 on: May 22, 2018, 07:31:31 am »

COME BACK OLIVER ( Cromwell)All is forgiven, rid us of this blight that is sucking honest tax payers money from the country's coffers.
I've never been a monarchist and would be a parliamentarian if I lived 600 years ago. You are all grown men and are fawning over an event that would be considered fodder for the womens institute. What happened to discussing subjects closer to most mens interests?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1294 on: May 22, 2018, 08:42:23 am »

What happened to discussing subjects closer to most mens interests?

Like Marmite?  :((

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1295 on: May 22, 2018, 08:53:31 am »

COME BACK OLIVER ( Cromwell)All is forgiven, rid us of this blight that is sucking honest tax payers money from the country's coffers.
I've never been a monarchist and would be a parliamentarian if I lived 600 years ago. You are all grown men and are fawning over an event that would be considered fodder for the womens institute. What happened to discussing subjects closer to most mens interests?

Oliver Cromwell !!, You had your chance an you blew it, as soon as the DICTATOR was dead you brought back the Fantastic Monarchy and put Great back in Great Britain… 

And Yes marmite Rules UK..   :} :}

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1296 on: May 22, 2018, 09:10:36 am »

Old Noll was not big on the things that interested men or women for that matter. He banned music in the streets, closed the pubs, he outlawed horse racing and BANNED Christmas (bah Humbug!) He made Mince pies illegal.  What kind of sad individual make Mince pies illegal?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1297 on: May 22, 2018, 09:39:46 am »

Old Noll was not big on the things that interested men or women for that matter. He banned music in the streets, closed the pubs, he outlawed horse racing and BANNED Christmas (bah Humbug!) He made Mince pies illegal.  What kind of sad individual make Mince pies illegal?

I believe Model boats were next on his list..

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1298 on: May 22, 2018, 09:53:29 am »

At last the voice of reason {-)
..well can you land on this?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1299 on: May 22, 2018, 10:01:27 am »

The word Monarchist suggests that there should be one person overall.  I suspect Olliver was jealous as he wanted to be the 'one'.  Then he caused a lot of trouble.  Like you are all going to do what I want you to do.  From what I have read of modern times once given 'the power' it is difficult to relinquish it. No names of course but look towards where the sun rises.

It is much easier to have a family with 'the job' whether they like it or not.  You can have a moan at what you don't like.  It is also a lot cheaper, no fighting etc.  Also you do not get incarcerated for having the wrong thoughts and people like us, more the enlightened I like to think, can get on in their own way with the things that matter.
 Sailing model boats in the park, and rather than talk about things (chattering masses) actually do something constructive and perhaps be a small source of entertainment where you actually have to have some talent.
regards Roy
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.