Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 931006 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1300 on: May 22, 2018, 10:26:24 am »

What happened to discussing subjects closer to most mens interests?

Like Marmite?  :((

Or Bovril  %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1301 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:21 am »

I'll put a bomb into the pan now...………….I prefer MacDonald's ice-cream to those other whippys' and hard ice-cream…..and they're bigger and creamier...………...I'll get my coat now,  {-) {-) {-)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1302 on: May 22, 2018, 11:00:43 am »

Of course it countered old-fashioned but you come out guard  the memory of the traditions, in France we cannot make scenes of Noκl. it does not please the foreigners.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1303 on: May 22, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »

Mail onLine: ... world's biggest cruise ship, Symphony of the Seas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-5694049/Inside-worlds-biggest-cruise-ship-Symphony-Seas.html

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #1304 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:53 pm »

It would take a two week cruise to find your cabin  <*<   How many ports can accept that number of passengers on day trips?
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1305 on: May 22, 2018, 04:26:28 pm »

It would take a two week cruise to find your cabin  <*<   How many ports can accept that number of passengers on day trips?

Interesting point, when you read that this year the people of Venice wanted to ban the big cruise ships coming in, due to sheer weight of numbers of tourists.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1306 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:34 pm »

We were in Ketchikan, Alaska, last year. Its population is normally 8000 but there were four cruise ships in port, over 9000 passengers :o , but the town seemed to cope well. I suppose they are used to it, even depend on the cruise ships. It was the same in Seward, Alaska, which has a population of around 2700, and even Skagway, whose usual population is only 920.

The biggest drawback to the huge ships, as far as I can see, is that they are severely limited as to the ports they can actually dock at, as opposed to tendering passengers ashore, which can be very time consuming.

Peter.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1307 on: May 27, 2018, 05:26:16 pm »

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1308 on: May 27, 2018, 05:44:09 pm »

Ooops

Paddle Steamer Sinks.. No one on board,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5774945/Paddle-steamer-boat-MV-Oliver-Cromwell-sinks-Irish-Sea-Holyhead.html

if that isn't an insurance scam, I don't know what is...…..

As a mod on RCMB pointed out.....the engine had been removed, and all the weight is therefore distributed in the stern, the paddle wheels, prop shaft, greater amount of top hamper on her at the stern...……..and if there were no crew on the boat and she was being towed under no rudder command [as clearly can be seen as she goes down, why were the RNLI called, and actually standing by, just in time to video her taking her last swan dive……very fortuitous I would say.

In the report it said the vessel was well prepared for the tow, but the way all those wooden window covers popped off as she disappeared, they may as well have covered the windows with plastic bags...…….prepared my backside...……..the only preparation was that they had a tow rope AND A CAMERA to capture in on film.

and I'll lay a tenner on the fact that the MCA  wasn't informed that they were attempting to tow her across the Irish sea...……..I'd be interested to know what they say, seeing as the company had removed engine and fuel tanks to avoid any pollution...……...a masterful amount of forethought......as though they were half expecting something like this to happen....

its actually laughable, but also interesting to know that she was of course insured for 0.27 of a mill...………

am I cynical or what.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1309 on: May 28, 2018, 10:02:08 am »

if that isn't an insurance scam, I don't know what is...…..

As a mod on RCMB pointed out.....the engine had been removed, and all the weight is therefore distributed in the stern, the paddle wheels, prop shaft, greater amount of top hamper on her at the stern...……..and if there were no crew on the boat and she was being towed under no rudder command [as clearly can be seen as she goes down, why were the RNLI called, and actually standing by, just in time to video her taking her last swan dive……very fortuitous I would say.

In the report it said the vessel was well prepared for the tow, but the way all those wooden window covers popped off as she disappeared, they may as well have covered the windows with plastic bags...…….prepared my backside...……..the only preparation was that they had a tow rope AND A CAMERA to capture in on film.

and I'll lay a tenner on the fact that the MCA  wasn't informed that they were attempting to tow her across the Irish sea...……..I'd be interested to know what they say, seeing as the company had removed engine and fuel tanks to avoid any pollution...……...a masterful amount of forethought......as though they were half expecting something like this to happen....

its actually laughable, but also interesting to know that she was of course insured for 0.27 of a mill...………

am I cynical or what.
If it was heavy at the stern, why did it go down front end first?  My observations of sinking models shows that the heavy end loses freeboard first.  Camera? I expect that these days, cameras are obligatory, probably as a condition of insurance, and for an unusual job, as the basis for a future low cost Discovery Channel documentary.
Since the wooden panel that popped off was intended to keep water out and not air pressure in, it coming off due to force from the inside should not be a big surprise.
Anyway, calling it a paddle steamer is probably pushing it a bit - it was probably, when it had an engine, a screw driven diesel barge, but with a dummy paddle wheel bolted to the stern.  Quite probably, the towing strains on an almost 100 year old hull were too much for it.
Very likely, whoever decided to bolt a heavy lump of iron to the stern, build a cafe on top and then tow it from a nice sheltered berth in Gloucester and across the Irish sea without ensuring that a hull that old that was designed as a canal boat might have some explaining to do.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1310 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:42 am »

If it was heavy at the stern, why did it go down front end first? 

my cynical mind would say it was weighted at the bow,...…………..but then i'm just cynical.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1311 on: May 28, 2018, 10:54:48 am »

Doesn't it rather depend on where the water was entering the hull?
Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1312 on: May 28, 2018, 12:21:05 pm »

Or where there was a watertight compartment / tank holding air.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1313 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:47 pm »

my cynical mind would say it was weighted at the bow,...…………..but then i'm just cynical.
Cynical means that you don't care - skeptical is the one that implies disbelief.  The two often get swapped.
The Mail Online (benchmark of unbiased accuracy) article says that the owners spent almost the insured amount on modifying the boat for its new job as a static waterside cafe, so probably not a profitable fraud.  Remembering the sight of a booze cruiser in Paphos harbour a few years ago (Nov '06 from the datestamp), these jobs are not always done with as much competence as might be expected.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1314 on: May 28, 2018, 11:47:21 pm »

Cynical means that you don't care - skeptical is the one that implies disbelief.  The two often get swapped.

According to the Collins English Dictionary if you are cynical about something you do not believe that it can be successful, or that the people involved are honest,

Some synonyms are, unbelieving, disillusioned, sceptical, (with a c) or pessimistic. Skeptical, with a k, is an American aberration %)

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1315 on: May 30, 2018, 09:21:13 am »

Or where there was a watertight compartment / tank holding air.

unless added at a later date, which would inhibit movement around an "afloat cafι/restaurant" there are no w/t bulkheads or divisions in an old Dutch barge...…...I used to moor my narrow boat next space to a guy who owned one on the Leeds Liverpool canal and used to go on board often for a G n T...…….the headroom on these vessels is [ like on my narrow boat] because the floor of the boat is almost at keel level but for a space between the bottom plates and a space for 4" slabs of concrete which act as ballast...…...any floors above the normal roof level just add to instability when on open water unless the original floor [which is approximately about 2' below water level on the outside of the boat] is also raised and extra ballast is put in...…………...however these concrete blocks are free other than sitting between cross beams normally, so if extra ballast had been added they would have needed extra cross beams to stop them from sliding under a possibly raised floor...…….thus adding to gross weight and loss of freeboard..……...if these beams had not been added, then the concrete slabs would have been most definitely able to slide around thus adding to instability...……….if not a scam...……….a very foolish venture...…...or even "adventure".

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1316 on: May 31, 2018, 10:51:44 pm »

BBC:
Sailor stranded on ship at Great Yarmouth for 15 months  -  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44320638

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #1317 on: June 01, 2018, 03:03:54 pm »

I've mentioned the Malaviyya company and its crews a few times Martin, there were two ships originally impounded,one in Yarmouth the other in Aberdeen. I didn't know there was a UK crewman though - I thought they were all Indian.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1318 on: June 01, 2018, 03:49:41 pm »

I've mentioned the Malaviyya company and its crews a few times Martin, there were two ships originally impounded,one in Yarmouth the other in Aberdeen. I didn't know there was a UK crewman though - I thought they were all Indian.

Is there a UK crewman? If there is I think more would have been made of it locally where it is in the paper every few weeks. Local reports talk about Indian crewmen.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1321 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:50 am »

BBC:  MEPs to vote on controversial [internet] copyright law https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44712475

What are they voting for?

The Copyright Directive is intended to bring rules around content in line with the digital age.

The two most controversial parts of it are Article 11 and Article 13.

The first of these is intended to provide fair remuneration for publishers and prevent online content-sharing platforms and news aggregators sharing links without paying for them. But it has been called the "link tax" by opponents and raised questions about who will have to pay and how much.

Article 13 puts more onus on websites to enforce copyright laws and could mean that any online platform that allows users to post text, images, sounds or code will need a way to assess and filter content.   :((

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1322 on: July 05, 2018, 10:04:31 am »

Hells bells.

Unintentional consequences or do they just have no contact with reality?
 >>:-(

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1323 on: July 05, 2018, 10:29:35 am »

So isn't Google just a whole lot of other people's links?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #1324 on: July 05, 2018, 10:51:20 am »

Google is more than just a whole lot of others people's links...

Google bots spider and "copy" whole pages from websites ( in fact whole websites most of the time) and store them on Google servers

Type in "Model Boating Dying" in Google and then click the Green arrow "cached"  and you will see a copy of what Google copied and stored on their server

and this is the "cached" copy - look at the url address - it's on Google's server not Mayhem

and here is another example with a copied image

Google "Mayhem at Wicksteed" and this is just one of the "cached" copied pages

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.