Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930611 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: In the News !!! Russian carrier in dry dock that sinks
« Reply #1350 on: October 30, 2018, 04:26:43 pm »

Russia's only and clapped out Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov in dry dock for repairs when power cut causes dry dock to sink . Dry dock crane makes big hole in flight deck .At least one casualty.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46030113
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1351 on: November 19, 2018, 12:14:32 pm »

CNN: US Navy sailor on board Norwegian frigate that sank after collision

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/18/europe/norway-frigate-sinking-us-sailor-scli-intl/index.html
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1352 on: December 03, 2018, 11:56:31 am »

BBC:
  The ferry using Rolls-Royce technology that sails itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-46350188/the-ferry-using-rolls-royce-technology-that-sails-itself

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #1353 on: December 03, 2018, 04:07:19 pm »

But would you want to travel on a ship without a captain or crew?

I'm surprised that it's even legal to do that! {:-{
Regards
Kit

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1354 on: December 03, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »

When you read about stuff like this you can think "Possibly OK on a short trip in a slow boat in an enclosed space on nice flat water." 
But the same people seem to be thinking bigger.  I suspect that every one of them is an accountant, or possibly a marketing executive, who has never seen a ship, or the sea, and from the comfort of his boardroom is blissfully unaware of just how fast things can go wrong out there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
in the news: WHY I LOVE DOGS
« Reply #1355 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »

More than the human race at times...

they are incredibly loyal, trustworthy, give unconditional love...………..and have no conception of lies.

this photo says it all. <:( <:( <:(

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1356 on: December 21, 2018, 10:21:51 am »

Hi all, the drones over Gatwick cold be anyone from a lonely lad in his bedroom through eco warriors to a foreign power.  I have been interested in the technology although do not have one myself.  But from what I have picked up, two drones, one slaved to the other with a net slung between them could go hunting for a drone.

I think trying to interfere with the frequency hopping mobile phone network is at best going to be disruptive to users but otherwise difficult.

Failing that,distroying the drone would not help a lot as it would be simple to put up another.  I believe the type has been identified.  However batteries do not last forever so someone must be replacing them which suggests there is more than one involved.  Both in people and drones.

It does show up the big gaps between what we are told about security and the real world.
Anyone else with thoughts on the issues this uncovers?
Regards
Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1357 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:00 am »

My thoughts are that their are many methods of addressing the problem, just look on the web , some range from blocking the signal to using trained birds of prey (in Denmark) nets fired from a bazooka . My issue is with a hapless Government that has known and been warned of such a possible disruptive attack for years but has done nothing and made no contingency plans for such an event.
 It will probably transpire that the culprits are a local band of eco warriors who are against the current proposals to double the capacity of the airport despite having given assurances to local residents many times over the years that it would never happen

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1358 on: December 21, 2018, 10:38:38 am »

Hi all, the drones over Gatwick cold be anyone from a lonely lad in his bedroom through eco warriors to a foreign power.  I have been interested in the technology although do not have one myself.  But from what I have picked up, two drones, one slaved to the other with a net slung between them could go hunting for a drone.

I think trying to interfere with the frequency hopping mobile phone network is at best going to be disruptive to users but otherwise difficult.

Failing that,distroying the drone would not help a lot as it would be simple to put up another.  I believe the type has been identified.  However batteries do not last forever so someone must be replacing them which suggests there is more than one involved.  Both in people and drones.

It does show up the big gaps between what we are told about security and the real world.
Anyone else with thoughts on the issues this uncovers?
Regards
Roy

It makes me wonder if it was a demonstration with a view to trying extortion in the future,  "Pay me... or the drones come back!"  Apparently the cost to the airlines has been huge but the cost to ordinary travellers has been heart breaking.  The "Geo-fencing" idea hasn't worked as the Drone is obviously a custom item.  Bringing it down seems to be the only answer.  If they're worried about using a rifle they should try a shotgun, pellets don't go as far if you miss.  I've also seen film of them being brought down with high pressure fire hoses and those you might be able to find around an Airport.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1359 on: December 21, 2018, 10:43:52 am »

My thoughts are that their are many methods of addressing the problem, just look on the web , some range from blocking the signal to using trained birds of prey (in Denmark) nets fired from a bazooka . My issue is with a hapless Government that has known and been warned of such a possible disruptive attack for years but has done nothing and made no contingency plans for such an event.
 It will probably transpire that the culprits are a local band of eco warriors who are against the current proposals to double the capacity of the airport despite having given assurances to local residents many times over the years that it would never happen

There's already been a quote from the local noise abatement people.  These are the people who buy a house next to the busiest single runway airport in the world and then complain about the noise.  The statement basically said "isn't nice and quiet for a change!"  I'll bet they wouldn't say it to the lady who had to take her kids home rather than Lapland to see Father Christmas. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1360 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:44 am »

I would have thought the high pressure hose had a more limted range.  I agree rifle shooting is best avoided.  A rifle bullet spins at 20,000 rpm and even when spent and maybe travelling at 50 mph can still have fatal consequences.
Perhaps there is a mobile laser device?  It might heat up the electronics.  I saw someone with a rather strange gun device.
The military must have something they could use, after all enough money is spent on them.
I await the outcome.
regards  Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1361 on: December 21, 2018, 10:50:41 am »

There's already been a quote from the local noise abatement people.  These are the people who buy a house next to the busiest single runway airport in the world and then complain about the noise.  The statement basically said "isn't nice and quiet for a change!"  I'll bet they wouldn't say it to the lady who had to take her kids home rather than Lapland to see Father Christmas.

The current row is that they want to convert it to a two runway airport by upgrading the present smaller emergency and taxi way strip doubling the capacity of the airport. Something they have many times assured local residents they would never do.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1362 on: December 21, 2018, 10:51:38 am »

Having no flights for 30 odd hours makes me think someone is also monitoring air quality without aircraft flying. now that could become a new issue.
regards
 Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1363 on: December 21, 2018, 10:59:24 am »

The current row is that they want to convert it to a two runway airport by upgrading the present smaller emergency and taxi way strip doubling the capacity of the airport. Something they have many times assured local residents they would never do.

It was never stated that a second runway would never be built. The 1979 agreement was that no new runway would be built before 2019. Using the taxiway could be a better solution than building an entirely new runway outside the present site and vastly increasing the noise footprint.

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1364 on: December 21, 2018, 11:27:42 am »

***We are straying into politics here gents.
Please avoid this.***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1365 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:55 am »

Just stating a fact TT. There was an agreement which lapses next year. There are discussions going on as to what happens next. I think the airport regards the taxiway conversion as a compromise solution for further expansion. The public debate will continue.
There is the other issue that increasing capacity at Gatwick will take the pressure off Heathrow to some extent.
I don't think there are many people on here who would be particularly partisan about such issues, only relatively few of us live anywhere nearby and I'm 25 miles away.

Colin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1366 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:47 am »

***We are straying into politics here gents.
Please avoid this.***

I really don't care about the perpetrator's motivation or causes.  They have wilfully messed with innocent people's lives and possibly endangered hundreds more.  Who ever it is and why ever they did it, they need to be hung up by their thumbs.  There was a little lad on the telly who was trying not to cry and saying that he could go and see Santa Claus, next year instead.  I don't know how the scumbag responsible for this can sleep at night.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1367 on: December 21, 2018, 12:06:13 pm »

The damage this will do to legitimate RC flying in the UK both by the public perception and potentially stronger legal means is very worrying. BMFA has argued very strongly against the European proposals to legislate model flying and drones. Someone, whatever their beliefs, has cast a huge shadow over all the innocent RC flyers.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1368 on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »

Now it is in the news money will be spent.  A bit similar to the 9/11 situation that left the President in his aircraft flying high but out of touch.  This was the birth or take off of wifi and the world wide phone coverage we have now.
Whether this will be for good or bad it is difficult to say.  There are always unexpected consequences.
regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1369 on: December 21, 2018, 12:28:52 pm »

The basic problem is that something which was once simply a hobby has now spilled over into the commercial sector. Drones are now being seen as very useful in all sorts of legitimate ways but if that means that the airspace just above our heads is going to become very crowded with quite substantial flying objects then some form of regulation is inevitable and model flying cannot avoid getting mixed up with it as it shares the same environment.

And to add to TailUK's point about people affected by the Gatwick problem, there were passengers on TV who were going to miss their Father's funeral.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1370 on: December 21, 2018, 02:44:02 pm »

When were Drones a hobby?
No kits or scratch builds.
Nowt but a toy apart from the
ones used by the police and
such.
Much wringing of hands over
the outcome for model flyers.
Most don't fly Drones because
Drones fly themselves and there is
no skill attached.
If the combined forces of the UK
cannot knock a toy out of the sky
I can't wait for missiles incoming.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1371 on: December 21, 2018, 03:02:53 pm »

You misunderstood me Ned, my point was that drones have had an effect on traditional model flying - rather like when CB messed up model boaters on the 27 meg band although that went away after a while.

Yes, you could probably bring it down with a missile but over a populated area? What goes up tends to come down in many pieces and potentially painfully.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1372 on: December 21, 2018, 03:16:03 pm »

Perhaps not a hobby but FPV racing is there.  I watched a rather desparate Cable TV prog with drone racing, it was not very good and I only stayed for 5 minutes.
They are useful though with surveying and of course searching.  Several Police forces have drones at £12K each that have replaced using helicopters and with infra red detection great for low light or night work.

They are more interesting when 16 (or more) of them are computer controlled making impossible high speed patterns.  See You Tube.
Many have a function that gets them back to 'base' at the press of a button, perhaps this could be activated after capturing control which I am sure is possible.

I was listening to Radio4 news and it was let slip that Heathrow has combat drones on site!
regards Roy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1373 on: December 21, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »

If a destroyers radar can fry Aircraft electronics
As in last weeks discussion, why can't the services
Deploy summat the same?
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1374 on: December 21, 2018, 04:00:15 pm »

Quote . Chris Grayling .

Asked if the military capability included lasers, drone-catching nets and radio-wave fences, the minister  said only: "There are new technologies that are now available, some purely in the military arena, some beginning to appear on the commercial market, that are able to take action against drones."
Grayling said his department was now talking to other U.K. airports to ensure flights could operate safely.
"Heathrow is one that has got one of the newest generation systems in place that may make a difference. We’re talking to Heathrow about any additional measures that may be necessary, but I’m not going to share those publicly," he said.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.