Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930833 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1375 on: December 21, 2018, 04:01:01 pm »

They have, but ours currently lacks the laser beam. It's called Drone Dome.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6519211/The-2-6m-Israeli-Drone-Dome-Army-used-defeat-Gatwick-UAV.html
Colin

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1376 on: December 21, 2018, 04:57:08 pm »

There must be a combination of pellet size and charge that would make a shotgun reasonably effective with minimal risk to anyone as long as the gun is fired upwards.   Perhaps some of the local shooting clubs could be recruited to provide a response force??

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1377 on: December 21, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »

That question has already been asked with the answer that shotguns simply do not have the necessary range to put enough pellets into the target at the height it is flying.
Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1378 on: December 21, 2018, 05:51:05 pm »

Moron is at it again !! 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1379 on: December 21, 2018, 06:02:09 pm »

Yes, it's dark now. Hopefully the new equipment in place will pay dividends.
Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1380 on: December 21, 2018, 06:05:24 pm »

Hardly.. Gatters is shut again
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1381 on: December 21, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »

I've been away and isolated from most of the news the last few days, but a few thoughts on the snippets of this that I ran across.  You get lots of time for thought while queueing to pass a broken truck halfway up the M6 roadworks just north of Stoke.
If it is battery powered, how big must its battery be?  It seems to have considerable duration.
Unless someone has actually invented perpetual motion, the thing must land to refuel/recharge.  At such times, it must be trackable, and its tender findable.  Or they are disposable items and there are lots of them.
I didn't hear any guesstimates about its size, or the altitude it was operating at.
When the word "drone" is used, the immediate assumption is a remote control quad (or more) copter being under radio control.  Fixed wing devices have better duration.  Why "must" it be RC?  I am quite sure that a combination of GPS and a pre programmed on-board control could have it take off from a location, fly to its assigned area and then stooge around.  Retrieving it undetected is a problem, but only if it needs to be retrieved.
Hopefully the perpetrator can be found and made to face individual civil actions from everybody whose Christmas he or she has messed up.  At the very leasy put them on Santas naughty list.
"2 new replies while typing..."
The new gear, whatever it is, can only be effective while the "drone" is operating, so hopefully it is now a target and can provide the start of a chain of evidence.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1382 on: December 21, 2018, 06:54:25 pm »

There are reports that the drone type has been identified and that they (there are more than one) are heavy lift commercial type models costing serveral thousand pounds. The supposition is that the controllers may be operating from a van which is mobile. Obviously a lot of thought and expertise has gone into this by the perpetrators so the are not going to be easy to locate. There is speculation that the lift capability may have been used to extend the operational range of the drones by increasing battery capacity.

Hopefully the military grade gear now deployed will enable the threat to be neutralised.

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1383 on: December 21, 2018, 07:07:21 pm »

When were Drones a hobby?
No kits or scratch builds.
Nowt but a toy

Wouldn't agree there Ned have a look at the Drone Forums an awful lot build their own andLoads of body parts and frames available

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1384 on: December 21, 2018, 07:55:12 pm »

I don't get it - it's a drone - a very expensive one, but still fairly limited battery life so you get a couple of helicopters to follow it to its destination when it has to recharge. You either get the drone or its handlers.

This should all have been done & dusted within a morning. Makes me wonder if this is a false-flag exercise by our caring government.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1385 on: December 21, 2018, 08:11:56 pm »

I don't think it is as simple as that. If you are in a helicopter then trying to eyeball a rapidly moving tiny by comparison drone against a background of changing contrasts will be incredibly difficult even assuming that you can pick the thing up in the first place. As one of todays's papers pointed out, it is just a speck in the sky.

The drone will be moving across a huge area and the chopper could be a mile or more away to start with. The chances of being able to get onto its tail and follow it without some form of radar (which I don't think police choppers carry) is very remote.

The best solution might be another drone. I think the issue here is that the police and airport authorities lacked the necessary technology to track the drones. Now that military equipment is in place things may be different but these Israeli Dome Drone kits apparently cost £2.6m apiece and the country has less than 20 of them at the moment.

I think people need to be realistic about these things. If there was an easy straightforward solution it would have been taken. No need for conspiracy theories!

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1386 on: December 21, 2018, 08:29:49 pm »

I often go flying with a friend in his helicopter - at 1000 feet up you can see everything on the ground very clearly. Following a large drone would be a piece of cake - in my opinion.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1387 on: December 21, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »

Yes but I get the impression these are not large drones

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1388 on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:11 pm »

In the news we are told these are huge professional £10k drones - not little toys.
This is the Cutty Sark from 1000'

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1389 on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »

In the sort of visibility we have had down here in the last couple of days? And remember you have to be placed so as to pick the thing up in the first place. Gatwick Airport covers 1,670 acres with a perimeter of around 6.5 miles. The drones could be originating anywhere around that. What are the chances of your chopper being in a position to zero in on a drone in order to track it when the drone(s) are only appearing intermittently. Helicopters can't stay aloft indefinitely. Doesn't sound like a viable solution to me. You need military grade hardware designed to pick up and track fast moving targets which hopefully is now that they have got.
Large drones are not actually all that large in terms of diameter.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1390 on: December 21, 2018, 08:59:18 pm »

Commercial drones of the size and price that are being mentioned are probably a small market, probably most of the owners are known to each other.  Direct imports from the manufacturers would be all but impossible to trace, but a trade importer will probably have a customer list.  These considerations make them traceable, and enough publicity, financial loss and publcity has been generated for resources to be put into finding out just whose they are.
Hopefully, the perpetrators, while obviously technically competent, might not be as good at covering their tracks, and anything with a price tag like that leaves a trail.
The news pictures of what might be one are fully in the "UFO conspiracy theorist" range of acceptable proof of UFOs, but are fuzzy enough to pass for anything.  So, just as in the TV conspiracy programs, little use for actually providing an answer.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1391 on: December 21, 2018, 09:00:28 pm »

Just out of interest, the Royal Yachting Association has a guide on what you can see at varying distances see below. Even a large drone is unlikely to be more than a metre across and most of its image will be empty space so it will be harder to pick up than a solid image.

Colin

Standing on a boat deck, eyes about 12/14 feet above water level, with clear weather, here is what one can see. 4 Nautical Miles
  • Looking towards the shore: Possible to recognize the shape of houses and trees. A beach is not distinguishable.
  • Looking only over the water: One can recognize the superstructures of a large ship. Sailboats are white dots.
2 Nautical Miles
  • Looking towards the shore: One recognizes doors and windows but not human beings.
  • Looking only over the water: One barely starts to identify large buoys. At night, boats navigation lights start to be visible.
1 Nautical Mile
  • Looking towards the shore: One can see details of houses and of traffic. Persons are small dots.
  • Looking only over the water: One can make out crewmembers on deck. Sailboats’ rigging are visible.
As darkness falls at the end of the day, it becomes more and more difficult to appreciate distances. Therefore keep an additional safety margin at night.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1392 on: December 21, 2018, 09:22:16 pm »

In the news we are told these are huge professional £10k drones - not little toys.

Yes well that's the news for you , small £2k drone does not sound as good, I doubt very much the drone is very large or even £10k, more likely a Maverick type or a Phantom.  But that is just my opinion from the poor pictures I have seen, the others are just stock pictures of very expensive drones..  But will be interesting to see if they capture one ..

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1393 on: December 21, 2018, 09:25:41 pm »

the Drone Strike closure of UK's 2nd busiest airport has now made OZ National News....I hope we don't get any copycat fools over here >>:-(
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1394 on: December 21, 2018, 09:40:59 pm »

Amen to that Derek. The UK has around 40 commercial airports and the Israeli Drone Dome system costs at least £2.6m  apiece so not less than £100m to put one set in each airport. Money which could be better spent on other things.
Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1395 on: December 21, 2018, 10:25:11 pm »

I often go flying with a friend in his helicopter - at 1000 feet up you can see everything on the ground very clearly. Following a large drone would be a piece of cake - in my opinion.
Following it  Aye once you have sighted it, I was  observer in  a Sioux (Think Mash) for a few years and camera shots and Eye shots ain't the same

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1396 on: December 22, 2018, 12:28:16 pm »

Looks more like a hovercraft than a drone
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1397 on: December 22, 2018, 01:21:24 pm »

This has been taken by a camera with a decent zoom lens, most drones use cameras with a wide angle lens to give a greater field of view. The picture is thus much smaller and often has considerable edge distortion. On the picture from a normal drone camera the Cutty Sark would be nearer car sized in the center, people wouldn't show up and it would show a large section of Greenwich.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1398 on: December 22, 2018, 02:09:39 pm »

2 Eco Warriors have been caught according to the Daily Mail a man and a woman in conjunction with the Gatwick Drone

Dave

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1399 on: December 22, 2018, 02:17:09 pm »

This has been taken by a camera with a decent zoom lens, most drones use cameras with a wide angle lens to give a greater field of view. The picture is thus much smaller and often has considerable edge distortion. On the picture from a normal drone camera the Cutty Sark would be nearer car sized in the center, people wouldn't show up and it would show a large section of Greenwich.
Jim
Nope - it's a cheap camera - at 1000' feet up you really can see everything on the ground - it feels really low - you can clearly see all the washing on the line, road markings, sleepers on the railway lines, leaves on the trees - roof tiles, drain covers etc. Seeing something moving about 4' across would be simple. Think of Google maps - the detail you can see on there is not as good as you can see out the window.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.