Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930849 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1400 on: December 22, 2018, 02:44:24 pm »

Again, imvho, there's a lot of crap reporting going on. This drone isnt some super dooper enhanced vehicle. The talk about massive or even extra batteries shows this up. The DJI Phantom uses a bespoke battery in a bespoke compartment. It gives around 20 to 30 flight time. Similarly, the larger drone photo platforms tend to have 6 or 8 motors.

The batteries might be wired in parallel to give longer duration but you hit the old 'speed of light' problem in that more batteries to give longer flight times result in more weight. Therefore, your flight times do not increase that much. The notion this drone is capable of flights lasting hours is just poor newspaper reporting.
As for why would people use a drone as a hobby, well many people ask the same of all forms of RC. 'Why do you play with a toy boat?' is just a different question but one many people who do not 'get' RC ask. Some people wanted to fly drones because they were seen as easier to fly than a traditional plane and certainly a heli. They were equipped with autonomous flight or at least self levelling if you mastered the art of take off \ landing.
From this has come the drone racing fratenity who, in the States, at least, enjoy tv coverage which can now be watched on sky.
I dont have any issues with the drone flyers per se. It is the divvies who flout the rules but then again, these are the same people you see driving through red traffic lights and parking on double yellows.
Sadly, I think it's going to mean further restrictions on those of us who fly, whether members of BMFA or not and are not part of a club. Ive already had someone call the police about me flying my heli on a public field. Fortunately, being in BMFA, always carrying my documentation and both explaining what I was doing and my flying, the cops were ok with it. But they still (2 of them) turned up in a car from Fleetwood nick to check on me. Try getting them round your gaff if you've had a break in and you start to realise the implications.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1401 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:02 pm »

Busted.. all over them like a rash

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1402 on: December 22, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »

The man being interviewed , Paul Gait, is a model flying enthusiast!

He is a window fitter and his boss says he was working on site at the time of the drone action....
More info here:
https://heavy.com/news/2018/12/paul-gait-elaine-kirk/

I wonder if they have the right man? We don't know how the police got on to him yet.
Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1403 on: December 22, 2018, 06:22:03 pm »

If his boss is correct then back to square 1.
If they have drones it is likely that some recordings would be on their PC, may not show Gatwick but would give indication of what they use them for.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1404 on: December 22, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »

Umm reading the reports and if they are to be believed then it looks like a neighbour might be trying to cause problems..However time will tell..

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1405 on: December 22, 2018, 10:40:34 pm »

Plastic doubt you have as good a viewing platform as this coupled with our high tech  ( lying in the stretcher with a Polaroid) :}

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1406 on: December 23, 2018, 11:42:57 am »

Released without charge.
Nasty neighbours says it all :police:
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1407 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:46 pm »

Released without charge.
Nasty neighbours says it all :police:
Ned
Won't stop people smashing their windows and stabbing their car's tyres - mud sticks.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1408 on: December 23, 2018, 12:27:17 pm »

Probably right Plastic, Facebook and the rest should remove anonimity from trolls.  That would decrease on line abuse.  If he does get any more I would sue the Police.

In the meantime it must have been someone else!  The Police had access to equipment that can interrogate drones especially if they fly close as this one did fleetingly.  That gives serial number etc so should be traceable. 

We shall hear more, it cost the airlines £15M so they may want better security for the money they pay in landing fees.
  Currently Heathrow charge £25 per seat, there could be 500 seats!  (£12500)  I think Gatwick is half this figure.
Whatever, there is a lot of money involved.
regards  Roy

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1409 on: December 23, 2018, 12:37:16 pm »

SO !   The real culprits are still out there and presumably capable of doing it all again   Sussex Police - Nil.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1410 on: December 23, 2018, 12:41:17 pm »

SO !   The real culprits are still out there and presumably capable of doing it all again   Sussex Police - Nil.
I'm still feeling this is a false flag operation.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1411 on: December 23, 2018, 12:54:49 pm »

And your evidence for this is?
Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1412 on: December 23, 2018, 01:05:30 pm »

I'm still feeling this is a false flag operation.

excuse my ignorance but what is meant by that...…...I haven't a clue.

could you explain to me please.

thanks

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1413 on: December 23, 2018, 01:22:56 pm »

If it was a 'false flag' operation then the arrest of the couple would have been done to distract from what was really happening.  Most unlikely both in the timing and the lack of coordination on the Friday. 

I am afraid that the Police took an easy option of arresting the nearest known drone owner.
This was a case where expert knowledge was needed at the outset but makes you wonder who was in charge anyway.  They should have had a proceedure to follow as this was a known possible situation.  Brought to their attention in 2015.

regards
Roy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1414 on: December 23, 2018, 01:37:14 pm »

Inept policing (and Im not a police basher). meanwhile, an innocent couple have their names, faces and adress platered all over the internet and news media.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1415 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:36 pm »

Really this should have been a two stage operation, first the technology side of identifying what was being used and where an operator may be.  This should have been in a practiced proceedure that could be actioned within the hour.

Then the Police be asked to do the appropriate but targetted enquiries otherwise the police can only observe much as we do as these drones are operated from a distance.  They are in the dark until then, and it might give them a bit of time to organize themselves.

I understand that Gatwick is the busiest single runway airport in the world, so nothing specai then!

I don't blame the police I do blame airport security though.

regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1416 on: December 23, 2018, 02:06:40 pm »

It does seem to have taken a while before the authorities realised that this was a targeted attack on the operation of the airport and not just an incursion by some plane spotting enthusist who went too far. And then it took quite a while to cobble together some kit that could at least track the drones.
There certainly doesn't appear to have been a coherent plan in place to tackle this scenario.
Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #1417 on: December 23, 2018, 02:15:35 pm »

This is why I suspect a false flag.

The government has been twitchy about drones for years with lots of completely fabricated 'near misses' to drip-feed the public that 'drones are bad' (like at 10,000 feet???). NONE of the stories were ever comfirmed.

It seems the government don't like Joe Public having the ability to snoop around where a traditional razor wire-topped fence used to be complete security - so I think this operation is to get public backing for draconian laws making any owners of drones jump though so many hoops that it makes ownership too expensive and too much hassle. I suspect anyone selling a drone will have to complete all sorts of complex paperwork to force them to stop selling them.  The owners will probably need to apply for a license and be over 18.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1418 on: December 23, 2018, 02:49:43 pm »

Chinese man not care a damn about Mrs May.
Still sell frying machines anyway.
Ned

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1419 on: December 23, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »

To be fair I do know of 2 idiots who regularly loose control of their drones....

The worse part is one of them has said he likes ISIS and he wants to try and get a drone
As close to a plane as possible.....

I have also seen drones fly into substations I have been working in any damage can affect thousands of people.

With idiots like this about I don’t blame the police or army if they push for bans

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1420 on: December 23, 2018, 02:51:27 pm »

This is why I suspect a false flag.

The government has been twitchy about drones for years with lots of completely fabricated 'near misses' to drip-feed the public that 'drones are bad' (like at 10,000 feet???). NONE of the stories were ever comfirmed.

It seems the government don't like Joe Public having the ability to snoop around where a traditional razor wire-topped fence used to be complete security - so I think this operation is to get public backing for draconian laws making any owners of drones jump though so many hoops that it makes ownership too expensive and too much hassle. I suspect anyone selling a drone will have to complete all sorts of complex paperwork to force them to stop selling them.  The owners will probably need to apply for a license and be over 18.

So either there never were any drones or HM Government took it upon themselves to import a couple and buzz them around to stuff Gatwick for 36 hours on the Xmas getaway to drum up support for legislation .   Perhaps a Brexit diversion as the public has gone deaf on that subject.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1421 on: December 23, 2018, 02:56:23 pm »

Plastic, are you seriously suggesting that the Government was responsible for the chaos and heartbreak of the last two days simply to secure support for laws on drone flying? And when Chris Grayling had actually recently shelved the introduction of increased control over drone flying because his department had other priorities?

Drones are here to stay as they are extremely useful for all sorts of legitimate purposes, they are not going away and no way are they going to stop being manufactured.

Yes, there will need to be more regulation if only to stop increasing numbers dropping on people's heads. The vast majority of the public probably couldn't care less if more stringent regulations are applied as long as they can still get their roofs inspected without paying for scaffolding or parcels delivered from Amazon etc.In this situation people are not complaining about drones, they are concerned that the authorities cannot seem to be able to guard against them on civilian premises without deployment of military grade equipment.
The people you really need to worry about are those who have satellite surveillance facililities, they don't need drones.There are all sorts of ways to compromise 'secret' establishments - computer hacking would appear to be a lot more effective than plastic helicopters.

As always, this is simply new technology that can be used for good or ill, just like Facebook(!) and we need to find the right level to get to grips with it.

There are always idiots out there who act irresponsibly like those with laser pointers but to take your argument to its logical conclusion - all remotely controlled flying machines should be banned including model aircraft and helicopters as they can also carry cameras and go most places a drone can go.
But, close down Gatwick for three days just so some extra laws (that have already been temporarily shelved) can be passed? Don't you think you are not being just a tiny bit paranoid?

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1422 on: December 23, 2018, 03:01:06 pm »

The worse part is one of them has said he likes ISIS and he wants to try and get a drone
As close to a plane as possible.....
Gynger, if you are serious about what you have said there then I hope you have reported it as it is exactly that sort of thing which has preceded actual terrorist attacks.
Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1423 on: December 23, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »

just slip this in.   Not spotted it before.

Sussex Police said the pair were no longer suspects.
Meanwhile, Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley told Sky News officers had found a damaged drone near the airport.
He said they would be working with the "forensic opportunities that the drone presents".

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1424 on: December 23, 2018, 03:09:50 pm »

Needs reporting Martin.
Ned
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.