Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 931255 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1625 on: April 22, 2020, 08:07:03 pm »

Bob,
I have had one of these for a while.
Superb bit of kit, does exactly what it says on the tin.
It can take up to 2 days to fully charge a decent size battery.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1626 on: April 22, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »

Yes, the low charging rate is the only downside. I have a Halford's 'intelligent' charger I bought some years ago. You can select between sealed and vented batteries and car or motorcycle and the charge rate is up to 8 amps before it switches to trickle charging.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1627 on: April 22, 2020, 10:16:33 pm »

CTEK do the battery chargers in numerous sizes and configurations from 0.8 A to 120 A
I was recommended the 3.8 A version by the RAC
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1628 on: April 23, 2020, 09:53:56 am »

Hi I also have a Halfords one as per Colin, works nicely.  I purchased another one to keep our club 5 inch gauge electric loco batteries charged.  Excellent.
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1629 on: May 03, 2020, 08:51:31 pm »

Deme Orion 'new design' floating vessel Liebherr crane collapse on first load test.

Video shows boom flipping over completely backwards, over the gantry!   :} :}

https://www.offshorewind.biz/2020/05/02/orions-heavy-lift-crane-collapses-video/?fbclid=IwAR0JRPNjo4ii0TeU2xsCZdTFVu9bPGgcEa1Rk_R7bakDvm6lAWmiQ69inG0

https://youtu.be/xYu0f57XAz0?fbclid=IwAR3wQy3ttR9lNtOlH9Buer9V0z9wZPFe_cMp2MTCv8aDWYHv0CDgdWM2ik0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #1630 on: May 04, 2020, 09:45:53 am »

That is what load tests are for.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1631 on: May 04, 2020, 11:51:10 am »

True.....  but a bit unusual for a brand new crane to fail at just over half the rated load?!?!!!!!   {:-{

Edit - now appears to be a hook failure .....

"The crane’s twin boom and jib appears to have flipped over the rear while lifting a test load at the Liebherr yard in Rostock. We are told that the incident was caused by the failure of a wire rope during an overload test, but this has not yet been confirmed. The collapse was captured on video which you can see below.

Update:
We have now learnt that it was not a rope that failed, but the hook block - the four leg hook broke free of the neck/shaft. The sudden release of the heavy test load caused the boom to catapult back over the rear of the crane and crumple."
https://vertikal.net/en/news/story/35316/5000-tonne-crane-collapses-during-test

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1632 on: May 04, 2020, 11:54:55 am »

small  computer error, decimal point in wrong place. correct and re-run design programme
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1633 on: May 04, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »

Surprised the crew in the cabin next to where it came to rest I bet, and also surprised there is no footage of the failure, to capture that on the links it had to be filmed during the test and thats not being show - unless you know better  O0
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1634 on: May 04, 2020, 03:18:05 pm »

That ship was supposed to be heading north to lift these things which are part a hundred turbine wind farm off the Moray coast.

https://www.energyvoice.com/otherenergy/239434/first-turbine-jackets-arrive-at-moray-firth-offshore-wind-project-despite-challenging-conditions/

A couple of years ago they used two other monster heavy lift ships on the Beatrice wind farm, the Stanislav Yudin and the Oleg Strashnov.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1635 on: May 06, 2020, 03:50:10 pm »

The Capt. Tom Moore honours keep coming!  -  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52550309

NB: I hope some has started a campaign to get him Knighted ASAP   O0

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1636 on: May 06, 2020, 05:34:06 pm »

I reckon he feels prettty chuffed at being a Colonel, Knighthoods seem to be a bit indiscriminate sometimes.  He might need to get his uniform sorted asap.
Roy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1637 on: May 06, 2020, 06:58:22 pm »

If I remember correctly, Hornblower was made a Colonel of Marines when he had his dubbing so........... %)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1638 on: May 19, 2020, 11:58:51 pm »

The Capt. Tom Moore honours keep coming!  -  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52550309

NB: I hope some has started a campaign to get him Knighted ASAP   O0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52732300   O0 O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1639 on: July 05, 2020, 09:42:49 pm »

I know I know nothing about Football but seems, neither does BBC Sports!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52162235

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1641 on: July 12, 2020, 11:55:32 pm »

Many Naval vessels undergoing major refit have literally scores of oxy-acetylene activities going on, but at the same time the vessels may have their Fire Suppression Systems [FSS] pumps out of operation

Warships do not have hull length manifold supply of any flammable materials/gases.....seeing pockets of fire along 2/3 the length of the vessel suggests the fires/explosions were not localised?

Such refit activities I have witnessed on RAN vessels were always complimented with numerous 4" shore side standard canvas fires hoses connected into the vessels FSS and continuously pressurised, so if any Fire sensor was activated, the on-board system would be operational

Again, in Australian dockyards, every oxy-acetylene activity on an Australian vessel is complete with a Fire Watcher.........

[opps <*< .....one of our RAN Patrol Boats in maintenance up North excepted]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #1642 on: July 13, 2020, 02:16:27 am »

[opps  .....one of our RAN Patrol Boats in maintenance up North excepted]
H.M.A.S. Bundaberg.   I still wonder if they had a hidden stash of Bundy rum on board.   :embarrassed: Sorry all you RAN sailors.  >>:-(

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #1643 on: July 13, 2020, 11:43:23 am »

According to one source at San Diego on one of the other ships moored along side they think it was a munition that exploded as it was being lowered below the flight deck. By sounds of things the ship is a write off.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

old_gunner

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1644 on: July 13, 2020, 01:11:51 pm »

According to the US Navy it was a 45 gallon drum of "volatile liquid" used for cleaning tools. I wonder if a tool was having a crafty smoke net to the drum? Nearly said fag but being a US ship.
Old Gunners never die, they just drop shorter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1645 on: July 13, 2020, 01:53:03 pm »

:D ........

For obvious reasons, volatile US MIL-Spec fluids are supplied to surface vessels in 5 US Gallon drums...this includes hydraulic fluids
Aviation Gas [kleen kerosene] is bulk supply..as is Gas Turbine fuel [not as kleen Kerosene] and diesel oil....

The video footage shows fire/smoke in 3 distinct areas ...say 100 ft apart  :o

Big Boss in the White House will be in charge of the next comments to the Media...........we may never hear the final Reports from Defence at the conclusion of the Investigations sometime in 2024'ish.....

Suggesting anything more would place me on shaky ground with MBM Rules

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1646 on: July 13, 2020, 10:43:35 pm »

Certainly looks like the ship will be a total write off.

Colin

RST

« Reply #1647 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:37 pm »

Such refit activities I have witnessed on RAN vessels were always complimented with numerous 4" shore side standard canvas fires hoses connected into the vessels FSS and continuously pressurised, so if any Fire sensor was activated, the on-board system would be operational

Again, in Australian dockyards, every oxy-acetylene activity on an Australian vessel is complete with a Fire Watcher.........

pfff....every fire watcher I found so far was usually more occupied with facefarce or candy crush somehow on their phone.  These guys were usually not observed wearing lace-up boots either.

We did have almost an incident once where the main gas line to the vessel was apparently smouldering and shut us down.  Shipyard fire chief for the job insisted it was OK, then I remember my project boss showing me the charred fire arrestor for the full vessel, after he threw it on the table earlier in the HSE meeting, and strangely, the yard fire chief (apparently a well known fire chief for the area), was never mentioned or seen again.

...Well understood the most likely chance a vessel has of catching fire is in port, or undergoing maintenence for fairly obvious reasons.  A previous company I worked or spent a fortune doing life extension of their xxx vessel, had a fire in last few weeks which ripped through and cost something like upwards of 2x the damage of the life extension.

A company I visited in the states years ago had an airborne content of hazardous chemicals way over and above what any visitor should be subject to (nevermind workers) but rules change these days, they declared 2 fires based on not electrically earthing a 45gal chemical drum each time before opening and de-canting before the flame spread to other areas.  This is why companies use Scully type systems now.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1648 on: July 15, 2020, 05:49:06 am »

All RAN Officers and Seaman are trained in fire fighting and fire control........this is the same training irrespective of related main Trade activity be it ET [Electrical] ME [Mechanical] MP [Propulsion] and so on for other speciality Trades   

During the RAN drydock refit work at Fleet Base, Garden Island NSW, oxy-acetylene activities were carried out by Mechanical Trades being Dockyard employees. The Fire Watcher role was carried out by the Ships Seaman categories dependent on the location of the work

The philosophy employed was...'this is your ship, don't let Dockies burn it <*<

I cannot comment on Naval work conducted by other external providers [HMAS Bundaberg incident - destruction by fire]

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.