Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930903 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1676 on: August 13, 2020, 09:57:33 am »

Slow news day.....

BBC: 
  Paignton boat builder had to remove patio doors = https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53314228

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1677 on: August 13, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »

RST

« Reply #1678 on: August 15, 2020, 02:17:30 am »

As long as I grew up as a kid -the Union Canal was blocked due to an old breach but the whole canal was re-vamped between Edinburgh and Glasgow as part of "millenium" including the Antonine Wheel in Falkirk.  Please accept this video as an imprssive breach of the canal the other day -just a shame they couldn't turn their phone for a video, don't imagine there will be much passage of boats there for a good while.  The canal flooded the fields then down and then cut-off the main rail line between Edinburgh and Glasgow.  What a mess.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53768273

RST

« Reply #1679 on: August 15, 2020, 02:38:31 am »

Slow news day.....

Paignton boat builder had to remove patio doors = https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53314228

Better news:  Perhaps Wee Jimmie Crankie and BoJo were too busy in their diary to pose a visit to Stonehaven -not really surprised by Jimmy but I supose watever Charles has a vested in interest -even if he was just local at the time out in the lodge in the Cairngorms -he probably hs no concept what kind of train de-railed, the loss of life and the fact it cuts off the main rail line to east of Scotland for months now.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #1680 on: August 15, 2020, 12:38:20 pm »

-he probably hs no concept what kind of train de-railed,

Actually he probably does. He's quite well informed about railways, he spoke to me [name-dropping mode off... :-) ] at the NRM a couple of years ago when he opened the 'Great Gathering' event where all the A4 Pacifics left in the world came together, and I was surprised at the depth of his knowledge.
Regards
Kit

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1681 on: August 17, 2020, 01:45:48 pm »

Did you see the Austrian Motor Gp on the box yesterday?   Valentino Rossi doing over 100MPH had a riderless cartwheeling bike spin across the track inches in front of his nose and a second spinning machine fly across inches over his head. In the pits a few minutes later he was visibly shaken to the core. No serious injuries to anyone but probably some undergarments were the worse for wear.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/motorsport/53802383
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1682 on: August 17, 2020, 05:33:38 pm »

Yes, I saw that highlight... scary!

( .... Actually I don't like watching superbikes etc.  as it thrilling as it is,  it just looks So dangerous!  ) {:-{

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #1683 on: August 17, 2020, 05:41:40 pm »

I'm used to do it, I must have been mad.   Nearly killed myself back in '72, I still suffer for it now.
 I can't ride a motorbike now, I can't stop shaking.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Re: End Of IE
« Reply #1685 on: August 19, 2020, 12:51:01 pm »

Internet Explorer ends Next year
https://www.itpro.co.uk/infrastructure/network-internet/356807/microsoft-to-end-internet-explorer-11-support-in-2021?_mout=1&utm_campaign=itpro_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

And you can't NOT use the latest version of 'Edge' either.

"The new version of Microsoft Edge is included in a Windows system update, so the option to uninstall it or use the legacy version of Microsoft Edge will no longer be available."

Totally ignoring the fact that the new Edge is junk! >:-o
Regards
Kit

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1686 on: August 19, 2020, 01:13:39 pm »

Hi I am on Widows 10.  I do not use I.E. I use Firefox and Thunderbird.  However I do use File explorer, is that affected?
regrds
Roy

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #1687 on: August 19, 2020, 01:29:08 pm »

Widows 10, a bit of a Freudian slip there......

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1688 on: August 19, 2020, 11:34:01 pm »

For those who are not Apple people ;) , Windows 10 running Chrome as the browser with Outlook Express as the messenger :P  functions very well

Quite a lot of water will flow under the bridge between now & 2021 .......so lets hope Microsoft will still provide counter support for the interface

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #1689 on: August 20, 2020, 12:44:03 am »

For me, I gave up on IE some 10+years ago when I discovered mozlla firefox.  Most companies I was with since allowed / preferd us to use mozilla and firefox browser is all I will use now.  My current company now does things on IE as a basis but pushes us towards Chrome (nothing really works on an IE browser page).

"Edge" I came across years ago and everone I met since has same opinion of: total and utter useless junk!!!!!!!.  Let it run in the background but anyone using it for access to the world is certinly missing out big time.

...It's not surprising microsoft doing a re-shuffle again, it's probably not so much hassle as it's made out again for most of us users in  reality.

My advice:  Go Firefox!!!!!!!!

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #1690 on: August 20, 2020, 07:17:25 am »

For those who are not Apple people ;) , Windows 10 running Chrome as the browser with Outlook Express as the messenger :P  functions very well

Quite a lot of water will flow under the bridge between now & 2021 .......so lets hope Microsoft will still provide counter support for the interface

Derek

This is what I use too. It works fine for me.

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1691 on: August 20, 2020, 08:13:01 am »

When Edge first appeared, it was, indeed, junk.  And that is being kind. 
Over time, M$ have tried to make it look and feel more like the Chrome on which it was based, and, from a users point of view, it works well once the preferences like search engine and home page have been sorted.  That sorting needs persistence rather than the kind of herbs that seem to be smoked in Seattle.
It certainly did have less impact on my laptops resources than Chrome, but again, I started using Chrome instead of whichever IE it was at the time because Chrome woke up a lot faster.  This advantage has been steadily eroding as Chrome has bloated itself over the years.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1692 on: August 20, 2020, 09:28:52 am »

Outlook Express Derek or do you mean  OE Classic?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1693 on: August 20, 2020, 09:35:43 am »

Hi all,  I only have experience of Firefox and Thunderbirds as these were the main progs supplied on AOL. I was a lite user i.e. free about 25+ years ago now.  Half an hour on a BT phone line with a Modem at 50 kbauds was £5.00!
And what a dreadful phone service they gave!
Roy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1694 on: August 20, 2020, 10:59:22 am »

..so jaymac asks...."Outlook Express Derek or do you mean  OE Classic?" ............sorry :embarrassed: no, now it's just plain Microsoft Outlook ...

The version as provided in what was Microsoft Office 365, but now called the shortened name Microsoft 365 ......

Tried uploading MS Office 2013 on this machine 11 months ago & Mr Gates informed me I had exceeded my Subscriptions limit hence I chose the option of $99.00/PA subscription for 2 x PC's

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1695 on: August 20, 2020, 12:15:28 pm »

So not  ''The'' Outlook express  there is a  kind of replacement called OE classic.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #1696 on: August 20, 2020, 12:55:14 pm »

Well it's called Outlook Express, for most of us that's enough information.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1697 on: August 20, 2020, 03:13:34 pm »

Thanks for the clarification Derek as I understand it M/soft will uninstall Outlook express on every  update on Win 10. That is why I queried it. I still run The original OE on my old Win XP pc which has now snuffed it but  I can access  my Emails via my webmail inbox.I believe if one has ''OUTLOOK'' you can import folders from   express

RST

« Reply #1698 on: August 22, 2020, 10:24:11 pm »

PS Waverley seems back on the water again...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53873218

...I'll get back on her again one day maybe.  Doubt I'll ever close to the bridge again though.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #1699 on: August 23, 2020, 08:46:06 am »

Lets hope they can get the Balmoral up & running again soon too. Although she's not owned by the same people anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 ... 95   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.