Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: In the News !!!  (Read 930839 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #1950 on: November 17, 2021, 05:49:00 pm »

Pilot OK but £92,000,000  of assets gone into the drink.

Yes, but you know what moern electronics are like. Pop them in the airing cupboard on the hot tank all 0vernight and they'll be fine in the morning....

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1951 on: November 17, 2021, 06:47:55 pm »

Need a few tons of rice to cocoon
an aeroplane even if your airing
cupboard has room for it😊
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1952 on: November 17, 2021, 06:59:10 pm »

Back in 1960, I was training at Lee on Solent
as a Air Radio Tech in the fleet Air Arm.
We had Venoms and Vampires from the Suez
Campaign to train on.
We also had an old helo that had ditched in the sea.
We had to remove anything salvageable from it.
It literally decomposed over the couple
of weeks we worked on it.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1953 on: November 17, 2021, 07:02:32 pm »

Electronics in a Tuppaware box a bit of silicone no worries it'll be back in the air next week  %%

Joe

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
How the Mighty Have Fallen
« Reply #1954 on: November 18, 2021, 02:56:38 pm »

RST

« Reply #1955 on: November 19, 2021, 03:05:37 am »

We saw a 2 minute video on Australian television on the vessel [Sir David A] including the Moon Pool.....however without any detail

Just thinking about it, there must be many +/- potential currents running around such a vessel just waiting and wanting to commence corrosion <*<

So are these structures we see in the image from Joe made from galvanized steel with impressed current protection or from stainless angle & channel irons?

Derek

I agree it looks like they must have a decent impressed current system in there.  I have only installed a system to protect pipework before so if that lot is all stainless or galvanized (and I'm not sure it is or even needs to be rather than just painted grey) it must be complex.  I'm nt sure why it would need to be anything than just CS plate though?  However when you look at the description on the BAS website how they describe a moonpool to those of us in the offshore sector they are kind of missing the point and explain the benefit of them rather badly anyway.

Jaymac ref your last post what is it about on itpro?  I must have gone through at least 200 cookie questionnaires on 2 different computers so far and still never get to reading your article so I just gave up!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How the Mighty Have Fallen
« Reply #1956 on: November 19, 2021, 08:59:51 am »

Just been reading about and got a notification that Amazon are ceasing to accept Visa credit cards from mid January.  Wondering which of the two will back down first on this particular chicken run.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1957 on: November 19, 2021, 09:13:29 am »

I seem to remember ( could be mistaken) that at one time M&S refused all credit cards and would only allow debit cards or cash, Cheque as they had introduced their own card. Do not think they carried on that way for long.

If more companys did this it might get them to drop the high rates they charge for some cards.A lot of places will not accept Amex because of this.

Just checked and I was correct they had a blanket ban on all  credit cards accept their own charge card upto 2001.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1958 on: November 19, 2021, 09:23:19 am »

Not missing out on the Christmas Bonanza
Waiting until Mid January %)
Ned

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #1959 on: November 19, 2021, 09:48:17 am »

Doing a bit more reading it looks like Amazon is not the only one thinking about this Ban, seems to be a result from Brexit, in Australia Amazon apparently charge the customer a surcharge for using a Visa Credit card. Should get intresting I think..

https://www.ft.com/content/510ddfaa-ee32-48fe-b929-fee6d5aa5b49

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1960 on: November 19, 2021, 10:49:13 am »

Jaymac ref your last post what is it about on itpro?  I must have gone through at least 200 cookie questionnaires on 2 different computers so far and still never get to reading your article so I just gave up!

The link goes straight to the  page if you  mean the Climb down one  Apple   now  allowing self repairs

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1961 on: November 19, 2021, 04:53:23 pm »

I think its more a question of their interchange fees and how long they take to actually pay Amazon. If you use your credit card the retailer doesn't actually get 100% of the price as there is an internal service fee to the credit card issuer but the retailer increases their sales because they do take credit cards.

In general interest rates are high on credit cards because the credit card company actually purchases the goods and you reimburse them but unfortunately some people get out of control with a credit card and they are unable to pay what they owe and there are of course fraudulent transactions if a card is lost or stolen and copied and these losses are sustained by the credit card issuer so the rest of us have to pay for it with the high interest rates.

However there is significant protection when using a credit card and if something goes wrong you can typically claim your money back from the credit card company as you did not either pay for the goods or receive them which is really the huge benefit of using a credit card as you don't directly suffer the cost of fraudulent transactions.

A credit card also makes you a preferred creditor so if something goes wrong with a company there is a greater chance of recovering your funds.

What's interesting is that most people will switch from a credit card to a debit card which makes any Amazon purchase very much less secure as the legal protections are not the same.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Cheers

Geoff

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #1962 on: November 19, 2021, 06:01:59 pm »

It'll be interesting to see if there's any announcement from Mastercard :-))

RST

« Reply #1963 on: November 23, 2021, 10:38:54 pm »

I agree it looks like they must have a decent impressed current system in there.  I have only installed a system to protect pipework before so if that lot is all stainless or galvanized (and I'm not sure it is or even needs to be rather than just painted grey) it must be complex.  I'm nt sure why it would need to be anything than just CS plate though?  However when you look at the description on the BAS website how they describe a moonpool to those of us in the offshore sector they are kind of missing the point and explain the benefit of them rather badly anyway.

I'm a huge R4 fan and while I was driving today they had a programme on the RRS Sir David Attenbourgh.  Something alarmed me when their technician said they opened the doors then "filled" it to the same level as outside (sic). 

>>>>now nothing other than when I was a junior I knew about the "moonpool".  I have however worked with a young guy (the best technician by far) who openly admitted that the first time he was asked to fill the moonpool he ws a legend in the company for having at least 2 fire hoses in there for a full shift.  He was one of the best chemical pumping / precommissioning contractors I had work for me.
They also said on the R4 programme the moonpool was 4x4m and you could "lower a land rover horizontally through it".  I thought that was a bit optimistic -most specs I can find for land rovers now are lonvger then 4m so no you couldn't!
It's all small details but don't believe ANYHING you hear on media these days, it's all hammed up a little bit so it sounds good.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1964 on: November 24, 2021, 06:28:53 am »

With regard to Amazon's Visa CC ban. Personally, I think it is good. The banks have been leveraging everything they can with little regards for customers. Amazon is also a customer, and like the rest of us have had enough. For years now many small traders have refused to accept credit cards because of high fees. Now one of the big players (Amazon) has stepped up to the plate. It will also have an impact on Amazon, but I suspect that bank customers will start asking for an alternate CC like Mastercard, or start looking for a new bank, because using Visa is inconvenient.
In the short to medium term, I would not be surprised if companies like Walmart and Tesco also do the same, when and if it becomes clear that Visa are getting worried and are showing signs of buckling..
In the longer term, I would expect that Visa will be forced into line with the rest of the market. Not a day too soon as far as I am concerned.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1965 on: November 24, 2021, 10:11:53 am »

How long before there is a charge for using Cash probably masked by discount for using card, Handling and storage, Health risk contaminated virus or more likely  narcotics  given as cause.  Going cashless  is worth far more to them than the public

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #1966 on: November 24, 2021, 10:20:39 pm »

This week our son managed to use up some cash he has been trying to.use up for nearly a year. Our daughter has not used cash since Covid struck.  A few shops over here refused to take it during our last lockdown.  >>:-(

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #1967 on: November 24, 2021, 10:27:42 pm »

My daughter swears by Apple pay and never carries cash. As a graphic designer she had occasion to meet a client in a Costa coffee shop. The client also didn't use cash. Unfortunately the shop's card reader was off line. Result -  two thirsty customers  {:-{
Don't Assume Check

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1968 on: November 25, 2021, 02:11:51 am »

Going cashless  is worth far more to them than the public

Agree.
Cashless is convenient, but not designed for OUR interests. 
I live in China now, and it is almost cashless. Even the beggars have large cards with QR codes. This means that beggars must have an address (in order to get a phone and a bank account), the homeless will be forced to rely on cash, and fewer and fewer people carry any at all to give away.
The government here decided that businesses must accept cash, because there are so many older rural people who still rely on cash because they are not tech savvy, and possibly have never had a bank account (their middle aged children take care of banking, bills, etc.). Perversely, the banks will not accept cash, although they still issue it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1969 on: November 25, 2021, 11:57:14 am »

Prospective hire of a video camera thirty years ago was met with "We don't accept cash" had to be two cheques, one for deposit and other for hire. Was trying to get all expenses covered two weeks before sons wedding and the company were delivering to home address as a fraud "Precaution"

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1970 on: December 10, 2021, 08:10:57 pm »

I was a big ( after school ) Monkeys fan in the 60's!

BBC:  Michael Nesmith: The Monkees star dies at 78 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59606993

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1971 on: December 10, 2021, 08:36:26 pm »

I'm with you Martin I thought their shows were all about fun and madcap adventures, just one of the lads left now, who I also used to watch in reruns of Circus Boy

Joe.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1972 on: December 10, 2021, 08:43:35 pm »

I used to love that show, and the music. Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, and Davy Jones, were a  “manufactured “ group that became very successful. In hindsight the TV show was mediocre by today’s standards, but I used to enjoy it. I still like the music.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #1973 on: December 10, 2021, 08:59:31 pm »

Sad news,

If you want cheering up in these uncertain times just watch Michael's fabulous video Rio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpcTsy10dE

It is an absolute classic.

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1974 on: December 10, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »

Sad news,

If you want cheering up in these uncertain times just watch Michael's fabulous video Rio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpcTsy10dE
It is an absolute classic.
Colin

Love that song!   O0

Monkeys playlist - such great tunes & on reflection well-thought-out lyrics ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0&list=RDsUzs5dlLrm0&start_radio=1&rv=sUzs5dlLrm0&t=20

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.