Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrol boat rebuild/refit  (Read 2803 times)

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
Patrol boat rebuild/refit
« on: July 25, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

A trip to a local car boot sale last Wednesday saw me the owner of a 49" wooden 1/24th scale Perkasa  in need of tlc (first picture)  for the vast sum of £10 !!  This will make a change and give me a break from building lifeboats for a little while.  :-))

The hull was dropped into my test tank in the garden and found to be watertight so the outside was sanded down and cleaned up followed by a couple of coats of primer (second picture),  new coamings were also fitted around the big hole in the deck.

New motor mounts were made and fitted for a couple of spare 850's I had lying about (third picture).

The old superstructure was thrown into the bits bin and work commenced on a new, much lighter, version (fourth picture). As many people know I like to build obscure version of boats so instead of a "bog standard Perkasa" I have decided to model this one on the prototype built by Vosper Thornycroft and called  'Ferocity' as the upper part of the superstructure was different to the rest of the class as well as only having two, not three, engines. She was later sold to the German Navy and then on to the Greek Navy then.....??

This is to be a quick and dirty refit so forget the rivet counting !!
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Patrol boat rebuild/refit
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:39 pm »

Mmmm, it ain't going to be orange though Mike?  Oh well if you feel you must, I'm sure you will get well soon  {-)

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:58:00 pm »

b****y hell mike, that was dear for you mate, wasn't it.............. {-) {-) {-) {-).....now, how much work to turn it into a mersey......... %% %% %% %%

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

I choose to ignore the two posts above  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

The superstructure has now had the basic form built up from liteply and light weight balsa to resemble Ferocity (first and second pictures) and filling the gaps etc stated as well as the basic sanding to shape.

Whilst this was drying the stern of the hull has been attacked with a cone cutter to produce two 33 mm  diameter holes (third picture). These take the 35 mm film canisters that will be bonded into the hull to simulate the exhausts for the twin gas turbines (fourth and fifth pictures).

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

The running gear has been fitted and the boat now handles in a prototypical way on the plane. She has two 850s with 45x racing props with a 12 volt 7ah sealed lead acid fitted.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

CLASHED

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »

hi mate anymore on this project im on with pretty much the same at the moment  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.