Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with parts for building plank on frame boat  (Read 1852 times)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Help with parts for building plank on frame boat
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:13:07 pm »

Ok so I'm still learning and want get things right so here goes what glue do I use for building my Mary Ann also how do I make a building slip or should I by billings one also do I need pins or any thing to pin the planks, sorry for all questions I just wanna learn and get it right and enjoy the hobby please no digs if u think these are silly questions

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
    • Luton & District Model Boat Club
Re: Help with parts for building plank on frame boat
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 03:23:44 pm »

Rchammer,

If you look at the following link and click on the 'Mary Ann' link you should find some photos of my build of the Mary Ann.

http://lutonmodelboat.co.uk/frame_gallery_index.html

The glue I used was 'Titebond II' a water resistant aliphatic resin (similar to PVA).

Let me know if you need any help with your build.

If you are going to fit Radio Control I strongly recommend fitting all the radio equipment before planking the hull and then trying to remove every
item through the available apertures. You will find that this makes the fitting of the electrics much easier than trying to fit it later.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »

'Titebond II' is the glue for me too  :-))  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:44:18 pm »

Yeah I see your build the other day I emailed your club member asking questions but never got back to me asked wat motor prop size and prop shaft you used very nice model

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 04:13:59 pm »

Hi there Rchammer

Another alternative glue which I have used for a number of years is EVO-STIK for exterior use.

Although this is similar to titebond;  it is not 100% waterproof and needs to be protected with a coating of either varnish or paint to seal it.   

As far as fitting the motors and electrics is concerned, I am a bit dubious of fitting them first before planking, but, if it has to be this way ensure that you cover all of the open apertures of the motor with sellotape to prevent any dust/debris working its way into the motor - the same applies to any other electrical components which you instal prior to planking.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:46 pm »

Bluebird,

Sorry but I obviously didn't make myself clear.

I fitted all the electrics before planking because it is a lot easier and there is not a lot of room in this model to fit them afterwards. I then took the electrics out again through the available openings just to make sure that if anything broke in the future it could be replaced.

I left the electrics out while the hull was completed knowing that refitting later was possible and everything would line up correctly. If I had tried to fit the electrics after the hull was completed I would probably need a set of tweezers grafted onto each finger tip to do it. There is not much room in this boat.

Rchammer,

Sorry you didn't get a response to your question, don't know where your email went to.

The propshaft I used was a cut down Graupner shaft. The prop was from Prop Shop but I can't remember the size at the moment.
In fact I was out sailing the Mary Ann this morning at the club lake and will look at it later when I recharge the battery.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan

Bob_V

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:46:05 pm »

Rchammer,

Prop for my Mary Ann is 30mm (1.2") standard scale 3 bladed with a thread size of M4 to fit a 4mm shaft.

With regard to a building slip; If you look at the photos you will see that I made my own from some scrap wood.

As far a planking goes some people regard it as a 'black art'. In fact it is not too difficult providing you have plenty
of patience and take care to ensure each plank fits before applying glue. Everyone has their own techniques as I
have and find it works for them. I did find though that for me the stern of the Mary Ann can be a bit tricky to plank.

Hope this helps.

Bob.
Bob Vaughan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.