Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The kit bashers have never had it so good :-)  (Read 3854 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
The kit bashers have never had it so good :-)
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:53:23 pm »

Whilst looking through some 'old' magazines this afternooon - of the 1964 vintage - I was looking to see how many kit manufacturers were around then. %)   In the Model Maker I could only could 4 (Graupner was one of them; Aerokits was another, KeilKraft and Veron were the others) and there werent many kits (as in models) to choose from and definitely a poor selection of fittings.  So those who have been bashing the kit manufacturers of today for poor quality - and instructions etc., - should really count themselves very lucky that they have these new manufacturers to choose from.   Instead of bashing them on an open forum - maybe a letter or an email to them in confidence rathern than airing grievances would be better.

Another pointer, in 1964 the average takehome pay for a journeyman was £22 pounds a week. <:(

A big Taplin twin diesel engine was £22/0s/1d   the Sea Queen from Aerokits was £5/16s/8d - big chunk of the wage then. 

I wonder how many of today's kit bashers were around modelling in the 1960s?

The last thing which springs to mind is when you see some of these lovely put-together kits at shows - and you speak to the actual builder of the kit - and you mention that its a kit - you can guarantee the first thing they say is 'Ah but I have altered it from this that and the other - been modified etc., and made to look like this and I often wonder to myself when I walk away - why purchase a kit in the first place when they have altered it so much,.

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Capt Podge

Re: The kit bashers have never had it so good :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »

I left school in 1969 and my first job paid a measly £5.00  >>:-(

Yes, I was modelling in the early 60's - but only of the AIRFIX type :embarrassed:

Building from kits was a route into the hobby though - and sometimes kit bashers make alterations to "personalise" a kit, I suppose, so that theirs finishes up slightly "different" to others. O0

Regards,

Ray.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:20 pm »

John is quite right, for all the criticisms we may make, kit builders have never had it so good in trems of choice and value. Something to keep in perspective perhaps.

Colin

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »

Well, this paperlad started on five bob a week although with 'extras' I did make up to 30/- sometimes...1966 and MB mag was 2/6- Aerokits  Sea Commander cost me just under £4 and the diesel engine was £2/10/- secondhand, kit bashing sounds appropriate..can't say I 'built' it but it did sail ok...freerunning too, radio control? how much? :o

I'm about to start the Revell Corvette, at long last, I'm not worried if the kit parts are not perfect, bought the book today and I'm wondering which ship to model now...?  USS Tenacity looks good or maybe HMS Burdock which is a little striking in yellow and blue!!! dunno yet and I can't answer your last question  :D

JB.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »

I'd always been into models as a kid but I didnt get into RC until around 1977 when I started out with gliders. Everything was balsa made back then. plastic vac forming of glider fuz's was in its infancy.

The Futaba Medalion 2 channel tx and rx had just come out which set me back about 50 quid IIRC.

Now, you get buy a foam P51 D Mustang with 57 inch wingspan RTF and the like with retracting gear, flapsm brushless motor, esc, lipo and servos ready to fly for about £225. The choice now is unbelievable.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »

I built an Aerokit Sea Commander and a Keilcraft Freya 36. in the late 60s early 70s

I altered the Freya 36 and am thinking about doing it up.

Freya 36

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Capt Podge

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:47 pm »

That's a bonny little boat you've got there Dicky, a few guard rails, some cleats and a couple of lifebelts should enhance her somewhat. O0

Regards,

Ray.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:28:59 pm »

Thanks Ray. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

grump52b

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:03 am »

just been looking at your gear and boats for sale do you still have the mtb i am in west yorks but coming over to chorley on sat the 9th to see grandson would be interrested if we could arrange to meet it would be about 6 o clock ish my mobile is ********* if you prefer thanks andy (grump52b)

It's not a good idea to put your telephone number on open forum.

To contact this member please use the email system

********  Moderator *******

Philipsparker

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:41:30 am »

The last thing which springs to mind is when you see some of these lovely put-together kits at shows - and you speak to the actual builder of the kit - and you mention that its a kit - you can guarantee the first thing they say is 'Ah but I have altered it from this that and the other - been modified etc., and made to look like this and I often wonder to myself when I walk away - why purchase a kit in the first place when they have altered it so much,.

Because you use the kit to do the difficult bits such as the hull and main supersture and then make other modifications to suit yourself. Plus people have thier own favorite way of doing things and sometimes prefer that to the way the kitmaker says they should do them. I bet very few model OR real fishing boats are exactly as they left the factory for example.

Or maybe they just didn't read the instructions.  ok2

Phil

rickles23

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:23 pm »

Hi,
Back in the dim dark years of my youth there used to be a series of kits made by PBM (?).

The one I made was a paddlewheeler.

Regards

tony52

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:30:12 pm »

Hi,
Back in the dim dark years of my youth there used to be a series of kits made by PBM (?).

Regards

Is this the one?

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:22:07 pm »

Hi,

Regards

i made there leander frigate back in the late 70's

phil

rickles23

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:03 am »

Hi,
Yes that was the one, pity they don't make them any more!
Regards

tony52

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »

Hi,
Yes that was the one, pity they don't make them any more!
Regards

I have put it on the list of future jobs to scratchbuild one, from the plans in archive. The advice I received from a previous owner, is to build the model approx 1/2" deeper and add ballast to improve stability.

A 'spin off' from the PBM kit is offered by W Hobby/Forest Classics - P S Lady. Smaller in size and advertised as a static model. Again I have the plan in archive and hope someday to build.

http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/paddle_steamer.htm

Regards,
Tony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.