Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing in smoking  (Read 14448 times)

pettyofficernick

Packing in smoking
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Hi Folks, tomorrow I pack in the fags after 43 years smoking roll ups. I am on a course of pills to help, has anyone got any tips on how to make it easier, or is anyone else giving up at the moment? a bit of mutual encouragement may be good. O0 :-)) :-))

madrob

Re: Packing in smoking
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:55 pm »

i used the inhaler to help me stop.i was smoking 50 grams of tobacco a day.been stopped over 18mths now

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:30:27 pm »

The use of Nicorette is another way to help give up. It comes as Gum, and patches. Use possibly instead of Pills
John.

pettyofficernick

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:37:46 pm »

Tried patches, only way they would work would be sticking one over my mouth so I couldn't get a fag in. %% {-) {-) :-))

Mi Amigo

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »

Don't take it lightly, you're in for a tough time, be prepared for a fight.

Remember Fags are your enemy, don't let them beat you and continue to rule your life.

Get in a frame of mind where you truly believe it's time to break free from the chains which have slowly been dragging you down financially and physically.

I'd wish you luck if luck had anything to do with it but it doesn't, take it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day, just don't have a Fag though, not even one drag.

Keep in your mind that the addiction and urges get less and less every hour and every day you are Nicotine free.

The bad cravings come in waves and usually only last about 3-5 minutes, learn to handle them and get through them, every craving is a little less than the last one.

Go and do it!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »

Come with me Monday on one of my many visits to the respiratory centre at Southampton General Hospital.

This would convince you that you are doing the right thing giving up smoking. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

richtea

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »

Good luck,
I packed in smoking fags in summer of 81.
Following Christmas someone gave me a cigar, and this idiot smoked it.  :embarrassed:
That started me off again, cigars only but I did inhale.
In 94 I packed in completely after no longer being able to
convince myself that my cough and sore throat had nothing to do with smoking.
After about 2 months the cough and sore throat had dissapeared.
Its not easy, but its worth it in the long run.
Take every day without a smoke as a victory of willpower over addiction.
hope you succeed.
Regards
Richard  :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »

Guaranteed to create a flurry in the chicken run, --- again. Pills patches and shock tactics won't stop you, you have to want to stop. Not cut down, stop, cold turkey.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:09 pm »

Tried every type of patch , going to meetings, didn't smoke at all while on the course.
Finished the course and went straight back to the baccy three times.
Then found all my arteries are furred up
Went in for investigations and put on a ward with three guys who had had amputations
They were still wheeling themselves down for a smoke
I ended up with a aorta to both femoral artery bypass
I stopped before the op and now have had six smoke free years and I still have two legs.
I could so easily be in a wheelchair and it would have been my own fault
Go for it PO Nick it's hard but its worth it

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

You need a reason to give up. Giving up is easy, I've done it loads of times. Whenever I bought a new motorbike I gave up until what I saved paid for the bike. Wife can't argue.
I recently had a throat cancer scare. While waiting for the results I decided that if they came back positive I would spit at the devil and carry on smoking. Surprisingly they were negative but symptoms were caused by smoking or being a bad opera singer. I told the consultant I would give up smoking.
I am one of those people that mean what they say. I went cold turkey after 50years on rollies. I experienced no physical withdrawal symptoms. I did however make a mental note of all the times  I wanted a fag. I soon realized they were just the times I would normally have one. I kept busy . I now have two of the worlds tidiest sheds and a workshop. If you leave anything lying around the garden it's down the tip before you can blink. My wife kept dropping hints about anger management. A smack in th gob soon stopped that nonsense!!
After 3 months I have not noticed any benefits if you don't count the dosh saved. On the contrary, nothing seems to taste or smell right but that could be a result of the surgery. I wish you well in your endeavor and look forward to doing cartwheels when any lifelong non smoker is treated like we smokers were whenever the obese ones have a chippy dinner or chocolate. Cos I have a feeling they're next.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »

Good luck Nick,    :-))

All of us are with you.... except those smelly, selfish, nicotine heads!  ok2

Please give us daily reports as we are keen to support you morally however we can.  

Martin - Admin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 06:40:54 pm »

I smoked up to 80 tailor mades a day,and gave up at least 15 years ago,because the vat, and duty were increased at the same time.My lungs were beginning to play up then,with shortness of breath etc. The damage was done, and I am still reaping the rewards,of having to use 3 inhalers many times per day,and stopping every few yards if I am walking uphill.Only this morning I had to go to my Doc, who has put me on a course of steroids,to help my breathing.I still say giving up was the best thing I did,If I hadn't I don't think I would be here now, or at the very least on permanant oxygen. I could not afford to smoke now,with the price a packet of fags are.Worst thing is, my missus still smokes ( I have cut down says she,crap!) and she is the one who has had a heart attack!.
Good Luck my friend,but please persevere.Suck a fishermans friend instead,they are much cheaper, and help with the breathing!
Mick

Nordsee

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:53 pm »

I packed it in in 1982, noticed the TV screen was mucky and gave it a wipe, the cloth was a gungy yellow brown, as I was the only smoker (Cigars) it must have been me! Stopped there and then. Still had 3 cigars left, but did not theow them away, just put the packet in the sideboard drawer. It was Hell on wheels for the next 3 weeks or so, drunk loads of Orange juice ( I gave up drinking at the same time) and eat packets of crisps. I found I could taste food again, and I put on some weight the crisps did that! I got a wek moment about 5 weeks in, and took one of the cigars from the drawer, I tasted like S--t!! My head swum and I was dizzy sick, but that stopped any longing for a smoke!! Now I am Rabid Anti Smoking, my pet hates being teenage girls with a fag in their mouths and Mothers smoking with their babies in their arms,!!
 I wish you all the very best, keep at it, it is well worth the effort and only you can make it happen! With the cash saved you can buy lots of lovely Models!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 08:38:34 pm »

Hi petty..... Good luck with giving up the weed.  I gave up 40 years ago, can't stand the smell of them now.
It's worth it you will feel better and the mysterious cough will go and eventually you won't announce that you smoke when you enter a room.
good luck Roy

john44

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:28 pm »

Hi Nick,giving up smoking will probably be the best decision you have made in your life. It does not matter what advice you get
it is down to you mate. You are in for a rough time, you will be thinking of fags all the time, you will even go to sleep thinking of fags,
I packed in 12 years ago because I was well and truly fed up with smoking. I went on the 24hr Nicotinell patch, to be honest I
don,t know if they helped or not because I had bad withdrawal symtoms, bad throat, sore tongue, insomnia, etc.
but I did not smoke.

Good luck

john   

stoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:19:27 pm »

Good luck Nick I stopped 9 months ago having smoked for 27 years still find it difficult its not easy but stick at it . My breathing and fitness is so
much better all ready even started riding a pushbike

Paul

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:08 pm »

What everybody has been saying - its down to you wanting to give up.  I had a few tries, some more successful than others, but the one that did it was 20 years ago.  My alternative to lighting up (because the tobacco demon likes a bit of ceremony) was to reach for an apple or a pear or some other fresh fruit.  You can only eat so much fruit, then you no longer dare to have a naked light near you.  I slept better, didn't wake up coughing, food and drink tasted better.  I looked 30 years younger, as well.  The acne came back.  However, it went  away again fairly soon.
I just wish my late wife had been able to give it up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 04:03:46 am »

A huge incentive for me was to put the €5 euros a day it cost for a pack of smokes in a tin and count it every time you crave a smoke, Then think to yourself "If I dont smoke for X more days I can Afford that new boat/sub/tx that I didn't think I could"

I've quit now for just over a year and there has been over €2000 go through the "toys" pot
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

wibplus

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:07 am »

Good luck Nick,    :-))

All of us are with you.... except those smelly, selfish, nicotine heads!  ok2

Please give us daily reports as we are keen to support you morally however we can.  

Martin - Admin.

Those "smelly, selfish, nicotine heads" are actually addicts who are caught in a purpose made addiction. There are chemicals deliberately added to tobacco products that will ensure that it is extremely difficult to get free. Other addiction, such as alcohol,drugs etc etc will get loads of help to "give up" their addiction. Nicotine heads will just be barred from social areas and made to stand outside in all weathers and told to "just quit doing it".   <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-( <*< >>:-(

Now for some real help  :-)) .....................................I found a set of CDs about 4 years ago that will help people stop smoking. The guy on the CDs will literally talk you out of the addiction. (Please dont refer to it as a "habit" it really is a deliberately caused addiction).

This is not a magic "cure" but it will give you a great understanding of the addiction and how to defeat it with much less effort than you might think you need.

I have not smoked in four years since listening to these CDs and, importantly, understanding completely what the guy is saying and meaning. Incidentally, I was not psyched up to "go for it" and, in fact, I was in a foul mood and suffering a gout attack at the time and they still worked their spell.   :-)) :-)) ok2

If you think these will help, I will send them (on loan) to anyone who needs them.  :-))  :-)

petermun

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

I was a smoker for 53 years.  At the age of 68, I decided enough was enough and I went to an acupuncturist.   At the same time I promised myself I would cease smoking.   I saw the chappie four times and have not smoked since.   I am now almost 80.   Give it a try!   Good luck,  Pete.

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:12 pm »

Good for You, You will get out of smoking I know, some advice, every time that You want to smoke, make a short rum and feel the need of air in your chest, day per day You will need more less air and the run will be more long and easy, best wishes You are a real Macho

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:52 pm »

Dear All,

Right, let's get this out of the way! Ok, I smoke, I hate it, but have been doing it since I was 14 - now 45! I know only too well that it has been doing me no good for a great many years. I gave up for 1.5 years, but, one day, 'something happened', and I asked for 'one'... no prises for the result of this.

There is absolutely and totally no excuse for giving up. No one can give excuses for you, and we who smoke can give no excuse for not doing so. It all boils down to determination.... and want to do so.

My Father used to smoke 50 a day... until they told him he had emphysema - and has never since this last 15 years done again. I knew 2 people now deceased who had throat cancer due to smoking. Yet, and guess what, I still do so... what a silly ...................

You see, we all get hooked on something. None of us are exempt in this... absolutely none of us.

Alcohol is one thing, but, you know, smoking is a damn site more difficult to give up. The two run together with some. I must say this, never ever ever replace smoking with alcohol, it would be the worst thing that someone could ever ever do. Never ever replace one serious addiction with another possible one.

I think this is a very good Topic, and one that could be enlarged upon maybe.

Regards, Bernard

pettyofficernick

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:04 pm »

Encouraging words folks, thanks. Well, day one over with, awoke at 06:45, (my usual time), normally, a smoke before my feet hit the floor. Not today!  got up and had a few brews, wanting a fag to go with them, must keep busy, sez I, so it was off out with faithfull hound for an amble along the beach, that kept me occupied for a couple of hours. Then It was off to help with relocating my local model shop for the rest of the day. So far, so good, the trick seems to be to keep busy, anyway, home for dinner and the worst part of the day, favorite smoke of the day is the after dinner smoke, and boy did I want one, so it was out with the dog again till things died down. Am now going to do a couple of hours on the masterpiece, ( keeping busy again) and then to bed, day 1 over, wasn't that bad really, as long as I was occupied. :} :} :} :-)) :-)) :-))

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:30 pm »

Dear PO,

Who am I to say who should do what or not... not I....

You will do as you please, and will do well by whatever... eh?

All I can say is that I hate the blasted habit, and do not for one second think that you are the only Mayhem member who smokes because you are not! Why do we do it, well, in the simplest terms we are hooked... ain't we... it's the strongest who can get out of the habit, and who is going to prove to us all that we can do it...?

If a PO can't do it who can.

Regards, Bernard

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:22 am »

PO

You have discovered one of the tricks to pack in the smokes, keep busy I've tried several times but always crack after 1-2 weeks, yes you must want to stop and its really tough if you're a 'addict'!

make up a plan and try to stick to it, we are all different so you have to find the method which suits you, don't try to stop cold, I found that just didn't work at all...but that's just me, others can do it that way somehow.

I used to smoke fags but gave them up about 20 years ago...tried the pipe but too much maintainence needed!...I'm a cigar man at present!

I always find stress (v. poorly wife here) messes it all up...again... {:-{

Best of luck.

J.

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.