Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing in smoking  (Read 14449 times)

pettyofficernick

Re: Packing in smoking
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:48 pm »

Day 2 nearly over, could kill for a fag but hanging on. Chest feels better allready, so its now time for some model boat therapy before bed. :-)) :-))

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

Do not expect any sympathy from this direction or any other. You have already let the Cat out of the bag eh...

As an alleged PO now prove yourself to us all. If you can prove absolute then I Will get very serious. Please set the example.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »

... my prevous time gave me the opinion that PO's don't whinge.... I think that you are made out of better metal......................

john44

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 10:27:48 pm »

Well done PO,you should be proud of yourself. You have just done without fags for 2 days, just tell yourself if you had one
now it would taste horrible, make you feel dizzy and you would probably puke. It just aint worth going back, you are getting
there 1 day at a time.

You can do it :-))

john

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:24 pm »

Dear John,

There is no quarter to hold. There are no excuses. I am the last one who should pontificate on the matter! since I would be the most crass of individuals!!!

As to a PO, well , they are supposed to be the best to set by example. We shall see eh... Hard maybe, but ain't a PO brought to be so? Hard, very tough, and very forthright... whow betide a rating who crosses same... eh!

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:23 am »

Dear Nick,

Well, you sent me a PM, I responded briefly in return: so it's up to you really isn't it. Who dares wins and all that gen. crap maybe eh???

Regards, Bernard

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:50 am »

oh, I notice a 4 letter word beginning with cr was replaced with rubbish... no matter all means the same!!!

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

... for TTT's sake please prove me right Nick :-)) Over to you..............

wibplus

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 12:25:49 am »

Did anyone notice that I offered to loan these CDs that very much helped me to stop completely...................... ???? or do you just not believe they work ????????????????????????? %) %) %)

dave301bounty

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 08:26:35 pm »

P O .  Dont think about it ,just carry on ,your doing good ,one day at a time ,yes and keep ahead on whats next ,if you walk the beach ,walk then dig holes ,use up your excess ,so when you turn in ,you sleep the sleep ,good on yer mate ,stay smoke free .

pettyofficernick

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 09:42:24 pm »

£ days now, getting the hang of it. The Champix helps a lot,by taking the edge off the cravings I have a 3 month course and go and see my local practice nurse once a fortnight and have CO levels checked started off at 40ppm, went this afternoon and levels are allready down to 27ppm, so its working. :} :} :} :} :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:52 pm »

£ days now, getting the hang of it. The Champix helps a lot,by taking the edge off the cravings I have a 3 month course and go and see my local practice nurse once a fortnight and have CO levels checked started off at 40ppm, went this afternoon and levels are allready down to 27ppm, so its working. :} :} :} :} :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Good on you mate :) ites been just over a year now for me and It's still a battle but when I crave a smoke I go and look at the nice things I have bought with the money I saved by not smoking.
Latest not smoking treat is a Sig Manufacturing Pitts special RC plane kit :)

one word of advice.... Dont weld or solder prior to visiting the nurse as these will both put your CO levels back up and can cause some awkward questions to be asked
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

MikeA

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »

my misus decided one day to stop smoking because she WANTED to. after 10 years of smoking she went cold turkey and not started again in two years. shes only had like 2 fags since she quit but it hasnt made her restart. I smoke and i have to smoke in the garden now. i wish i had the WANT to stop. Ive tried many times to quit for health reasons but i allways fail. Im rooting for ya POnick good luck m8.

john44

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 04:14:42 pm »

Well done PO, it will soon be 1 week. again well done mate.

john

Nordsee

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »

Don't falter, keep at it!! We are all rooting for you!!

RichyB

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »

Hi PettyOfficer Nick.
    I packed in smoking 17 Years ago, and I to used to smoke roll ups, being ex Navy and having smoked Duty Free tickler for 14 years and then commercial brand tobacco after I left the RN.  Had tried on several occassions to stop, and It was'nt until my wife took a heart attack and required bye-pass surgery, that I realised I did'nt want to go down that route.  I started by rationing myself to 20 a day and then made myself light up the first one ten minutes later each day and an extra 10 minutes each day between fags. 2 weeks later I had given up, although the cravings were strong.  I visited the wife each evening in Hospital and I called it running the guantlet, as you leave the hospital entrance, the twenty or so people puffing away outside.
     A number of things helped.  1.The thought of major surgery.  2. I had to stop before the wife came out of Hospital, as she also smoked up until the heart attack.  3. Posters in the cardiology unit showing then, over a period of 10 years smokeing just 20 Cigs a day, you burnt £12,000. 4.  Clean out and removed all my ashtrays in the house.  5. Everytime I felt like a cigarette, drink a glass of water.  6. When the wife came out of Hospital, we put aside the money we would have spent on Cigs and Tobacco and used to go for a run in the car and treat ourselves, like going for a meal in a posh restaraunt or buying a new CD for our music collection. Think of any modelling tools or equipment you would like, and the money saved by not smoking will soon mount up.
     A far as the cravings were concerned, I found the first week was the worse, but as each day went by the cravings became less, and I started to taste and enjoy my food again.  I was in my 40's when I stopped, and in my 60's now, I feel fitter and more active than when I smoked.  It is a struggle, but just convince yourself you can do it and you will.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »

Dear Ricky,

Sound Post. Time I gave up for good. The last time was for 1.5 yrs., and indeed I felt considerably better for it... and I know smoking's not doing me any good these days. Horrible habit!... and I actually hate and resent it.

Regards, Bernard

pettyofficernick

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 11:14:02 am »

Well folks, thats the first week over with, still choking for a smoke, but its getting easier. Chest feels a whole lot better too. :} :} :} :-)) :-)) :-))

richtea

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 04:32:13 pm »

WELL DONE Nick,
keep up the good work, it will get easier, but that first week is the hardest.
Regards
Richard  :-)) :-)) :-))

omra85

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »

Well done so far, Nick.  I stopped quite a few years ago, but unfortunately I returned to the drug after three and a half years - so you can't let your guard down for ever!! Having said that, you are now over the most difficult part - the first week.   If it helps, I did two charts which I looked at every time I wanted a smoke.
The first shows the pain you are going through.  You will see that the first few days are the worst, then things start to get better.  Over time, the pain reduces to almost nothing.
You will see from the second chart that, over the same period, the money you now have "spare" keeps growing.
The money is based on the conservative estimate of your having smoked one 50 gram packet of tobacco per week (Sainsbury's = £14 !!)
Print them off and carry them with you to gaze at whenever you feel the need :-)

Hope this helps

Danny
(I WILL give up one day ....  I really hate myself for being a sucker and smoking!)

john44

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 02:26:14 pm »

Dear Ricky,

Horrible habit!... and I actually hate and resent it.

Regards, Bernard
Well Bernard, you go for it mate. You will get endless support from fellow X smokers.

john

pettyofficernick

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »

Greetings all, baccy money saved over the last week or so has provided me with a propane torch, a bottle of propane and Tubal Cains book ' Soldering and Brazing ', yes folks, I am going to build a boiler. Still rattling but beginning to see the benefits.
Cheers all. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)) :-)) :-)) :} :} :} :} :} :-)

MikeA

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

congratulations. its easier to quit if you keep busy. a boiler should keep ya going for a while. now since youve quit, have you had a fag on the sly? be honest !! :-))

pettyofficernick

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 06:24:05 pm »

not as yet, but I have come close a couple of times, my mate, thinking he was being amusing, wafted one under my nose to 'test' me, didn't work.  >>:-( >>:-( :} :}

john44

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »

Well done nick you have got over the worst bit. :-))

john
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.