Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electronic airhorn circuit  (Read 5947 times)

crazy yank

electronic airhorn circuit
« on: May 02, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »

Bad day at Bedrock,

I've been soldering 'til I'm blue in the face, trying without success to work up an electronic airhorn circuit for my lifeboat.  I've been thru 2 different circuits and have nothing but a frown on my face when done.  One doesn't work at all and the other, well, I could get more noise from a wounded cricket.  Basically I've been using a 555 i.c. chip.  Piezo electric buzzers are not buzzers, but are squealers.  I've been that route also.  Anyone got any ideas that are surefire?  I want to keep it cheap and simple.

The Crazy Yank

KIMBO

Re: electronic airhorn circuit
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:09:55 am »

hello , are you trying to make two tone, or straight blast. i would suggest dave markum at the bridlington model boat club, he,s a bit of a wizz with stuff like that, click on to brid boat club his email will be on there. hope this helps

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:45:49 pm »

Hi.

Not sure if Dave will be able to help but he's away this week anyway, Try him next week, you'll find his e-mail addy on www.bridmodelboats.co.uk (He's the treasurer and membership sectretary)
Cheers,
Ian.

crazy yank

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 07:19:16 pm »

Thanks so much from Bridkid and Kimbo.  I've put Dave's email address in my personal address book and have sent off an email to him.  I told him there was no rush on getting things going, as I spent a goodly part of the winter on the boat and my lighthouse station, so a week or two more won't kill me.  Again, many thanks.

Crazy Yank

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:15:04 pm »

Use a digital sound recording chip to store a recording of a real air horn, play it back through an amplifier module through an appropriate speaker.  I've been using this setup in a revell corvette for years, and it works very well.  All the bits are in maplins on-line catalogue.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bridkid

• Full Mayhemer
    • Bridlington Model Boat Society
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:59:23 am »

Yep, Malcolm's right. try these for size.?

http://www.grsites.com/sounds/nautical001.shtml

Ian.

OMK

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 12:26:55 am »

Crazy Yank, you say you are using a 555 chip. Would you have the details of your circuit(s) that I could possibly have a look at, please?

PMK.

crazy yank

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 01:58:40 am »

Hey, PMK,

This be Crazy Yank.  In answer to your question about having a 555 circuit handy, yes.

You can find a copy of it on  Clive Lawford's site which is,  44 ft motor life boats.  This is the easiest way I know how to get it to you.  I redrew it from a Forrest Mimms  book on "Getting started in electronics" from Archer electronics back in the late '70's, early '80's and Clive published it under "Lynn's Modeling Tips", who happens to be me.  Thanks for the follow up.  One of these days I'll try working up the circuit in real time again.  I had to have soldered something wrong or have a faulty 555 chip or two.  They say the third time is a charm,

Crazy Yank

OMK

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 04:44:52 pm »

Thanks for your reply, amigo.
I'll Google-search Forrest Mimms, Lynn's Modeling Tips, Clive Lawford, etc.
If it should turn out to be a no-go, can I get back to you on this?

Thanks once again.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 04:55:51 pm »

Clive Lawford's 44ft Lifeboat(Waveney Class Lifeboat) site can be found at the following location:

www.44mlb.com
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

crazy yank

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 09:04:41 pm »

PMK,

If you can't get ahold of me, try Martin from Mayhem.  He and I have been conversing for over 2 years and he keeps me pretty well posted as do I for him, when I can.  Since he's so busy of late, best to send email to me about the 555 circuit.  Thanks for your interest.

Crazy Yank
(leaich@rworld.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.