Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Trimline  (Read 9683 times)

pww1955

Using Trimline
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »

Hi Folks,
A bit of help needed if you don't mind. I purchased some white trimline tape to do the boot topping line on my model as it was recommended on this site (read it somewhere in here when I first joined) Anyway, my problem is that it just does not want to stick!!
I've tried rubbing it down with my nail until smooth but by the following day it lifts wherever there is a change in level of the surface ie across hull plates, rivets etc. I'm at my wits end and feel like ripping the lot off but I know I'll never get a good finish any other way....
Anyone have any good suggestions or ideas......please

Paul

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Re: Using Trimline
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:02:50 pm »

Hy Paul
Try it useing the heat from a hairdryer, it melts the glue so that it sticks better, not to close, and not to hot.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »

Also when applying it DON'T STRETCH IT !!!! Especially over surface level changes.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

pww1955

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:12 am »

Hy Paul
Try it using the heat from a hairdryer, it melts the glue so that it sticks better, not to close, and not to hot.
Bosun
Also when applying it DON'T STRETCH IT !!!! Especially over surface level changes.
Mike

Thanks for the tips Gents, much appreciated. I'll remove and reapply following your 'combined' advice and let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Paul

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:54:08 am »

Is this the stuff you mean?

How long have you had it? I found it only has a shelf life of about a year before it becomes less tacky and wont stick as well.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

pww1955

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »

Is this the stuff you mean?

How long have you had it? I found it only has a shelf life of about a year before it becomes less tacky and wont stick as well.

Hi Essex2visuvesi ,
Yup, that's the stuff. I bought it some time ago  & unfortunately I can't remember how long though but I must admit it's been sitting in it's tube on my shelf for a while, probably months!! Not as long as the boat itself though, thats nearer 10 years :embarrassed:
I always wanted a scale model so brought a kit and I just work on it when the fancy takes. If I hit a problem then I tend to leave it and think about how to solve it and return to it when I have had an idea.(I seem to have lots of problems :} thats all)

Paul

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:29 am »

I have had good results using Great Planes striping tape for boot topping. It's intended for model aircraft use and is impervious to damage by model aircraft engine fuel. The adhesive is very strong, and actually cures after a time, rather like epoxy. It's thin, quite flexible and conforms to curves very well, and is available in a range of colours and widths.

Peter.

pww1955

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 08:38:39 am »

I have had good results using Great Planes striping tape for boot topping. It's intended for model aircraft use and is impervious to damage by model aircraft engine fuel. The adhesive is very strong, and actually cures after a time, rather like epoxy. It's thin, quite flexible and conforms to curves very well, and is available in a range of colours and widths.

Peter.
Hi Peter,
Thanks for this, sounds just the job! If I can't sort the problems with the trimline then this will be my next move to try. I certainly don't want to resort to masking and spraying yet again. I've already had to respray the hull once after meths removed the surface layer of paint. I was trying to remove some sticky residue from the masking tape I used and it took the paint as well. And that was Humbrol Acrylic spray!!
Surprisingly, White Spirit, which I thought would be harsher, worked OK

Paul

Chuffy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:01 am »

Paul

Just a word to the wise, when I'm painting a model and It's usually a boat I always make up a couple of, in my case formica squares, covered with the same paints that I have sprayed on the model with notes written on the back. One I keep as a master and the other one I masked up and used to either paint with subsequent layers before painting the boat and then the master or in your case I would use it to see if the paint is effected by any other process, i.e., in your case meths or thinners, can be a bit of a pain when you just want to crash on but saves a lot of heart ache later.

Re the Trimline tape I am still using tape that Is 3 years old, I store it at room temperature in its box. As others have said apply it without stretching especially over moulded parts and when you go round corners. takes of bit of practice.

Paul. 

pww1955

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:02:57 pm »

Paul

Re the Trimline tape I am still using tape that Is 3 years old, I store it at room temperature in its box. As others have said apply it without stretching especially over moulded parts and when you go round corners. takes of bit of practice.

Paul. 
Hi Paul,
I certainly have not had my tape that long and it was kept up in the bedroom in it's tube until I was ready to use it. I've just peeled it off the hull a lot easier than the masking tape!! As for the Great Planes tape, Ripmax is the only UK supplier and they don't sell it, only Trimline >>:-( You can get it off of E-bay but only from the States and then there's a stupid delivery charge.
Oh well, keep trying....

Paul

CF-FZG

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »

You can get it off of E-bay but only from the States and then there's a stupid delivery charge.

Paul,

Try Tower Hobbies, they charge $7.98 shipping, I added about 6 rolls to my basket and it stayed that price :-))  very good service from them too :-))

Mark

pww1955

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 05:39:29 pm »

Paul,

Try Tower Hobbies, they charge $7.98 shipping, I added about 6 rolls to my basket and it stayed that price :-))  very good service from them too :-))

Mark
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the heads up on that site, very useful information. I'll have to see if I can persuade the finance director (the wife) to let me place an order as I'm always 'spending more money on that thing...?' :}

Paul

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 10:53:14 pm »

Hi Mark,
 I'll have to see if I can persuade the finance director (the wife) to let me place an order as I'm always 'spending more money on that thing...?' :}

Paul

The inevitable question always is "Do you really need it" and the correct response is "Of course I do sweetheart" O0 O0 O0 %) %) %)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:05 pm »

Try Tower Hobbies

That's where I get mine from, and quite cheaply, too, given the exchange rate between the Aussie and US dollars. Postage is quite reasonable.

Peter.

pww1955

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 08:23:42 am »

That's where I get mine from, and quite cheaply, too, given the exchange rate between the Aussie and US dollars. Postage is quite reasonable.

Peter.
Hi Peter,

I'll probably go that route but a slight aside for the moment.....Do you think 1/4 inch wide would be OK on a 1/24th scale. This would make the topping around 6inches wide to scale. I'm currently using the 5mm Trimline which looks about right.
I suppose I could always try and trim the 1/4 down by rolling the reel against a sharp blade. Any thoughts or comments?

Paul

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:48 am »

Paul, it would depend on the full size vessel as to how wide the boot topping should be. However, as some wise person once said, if it looks right, then it usually is right %)

Peter.

pww1955

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 12:29:56 pm »

Paul, it would depend on the full size vessel as to how wide the boot topping should be. However, as some wise person once said, if it looks right, then it usually is right %)

Peter.
Cheers Peter, :}
I think I'll be placing an order shortly!!!

Paul

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:58 am »

I have found that Trimline tape sticks best over a gloss surface. This doesn't mean you have to have a shiny boat - you just apply the desired finish over the tape - it also helps to blend it in.

Barrie

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 11:40:48 pm »

I have found that Trimline tape sticks best over a gloss surface.

Very true, Barrie, much the same as decals. A matte or semi gloss clear coat can be applied over the tape or decals if required.

Peter.

pww1955

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 07:36:08 am »

Hi All,
Thanks for the help so far and I've placed my order for the striping tape from Tower......So, next thoughts, the best way to apply it.
I suppose it's best to chock the hull so the waterline is horizontal, place the reel on a block at the correct height and then attach the tape to the hull and move the block/reel along the hull keeping things level.
Anyone have any better method they'd recommend?

Paul

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:41:47 am »

I would recommend a pencil line around the hull.  If you use a soft pencil around a 3B size you don't have to press so hard and scratch the paintwork.

The pencil can fitted into hole in piece of wood measured up from the bench at the height you require.

When pulling out the tape, ensure it relaxes it's tension before applying it to the hull.

Best of luck. Show us some pictures when you're done.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

Presumably you already have a paint line between the topsides and underwater part of the hull, in which case just apply the tape carefully along that without stretching it. It may help to run ordinary masking tape just above or below the demarcation line and check that it is straight by sighting along the length of the hull. When you are happy just butt the boot topping tape up against it.

If you haven't already painted the topsides and bottom of the hull then you should do this first and then apply the boot topping tape along the demarcation line.

Colin

pww1955

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »

Hi Guys,

This is what I'm trying to improve on......this is what started off this thread.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.