Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 47” Wooden Huntsman 31 twenty years old, Webra 40 powered  (Read 9681 times)

Craig Dickson

Hi folks
I’ve only joined this excellent forum today so firstly I’d like to say hello.  I’ve been reading many of the really interesting topics and it is great so see such friendly advice and comments given.
This first post from me is about my Huntsman 31 that I started building 20 years ago. It got left in my garage for 19 years and I decided to dust off the cobwebs and see about getting it ready for the water: This pic shows how it remained for all those years (after dusting off): The deck varnish and hull paint has remained in surprisingly good condition:

If you click on any of the images they should open a separate window enlarged.

The big test was to see if an old Webra 40 glow engine (last used 25 years ago) would fit into it and actually work without blowing up! All of the associated hardware for the engine (manifold, pipe fuel tank etc) is also vintage stuff:

Having installed new radio gear it was time to give the boat its first run and thankfully that trusty old Webra engine fired up straight away and ran faultlessly. Thankfully its original bearings held up without failing.  I can see from other threads that the Huntsman is a popular model and I am glad I took the plunge to get mine test run ready prior to final finishing of the top and deck fittings. They are great boats on the water.

Cheers
Craig

Craig Dickson

Re: 47” Wooden Huntsman 31 twenty years old, Webra 40 powered
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:32:24 pm »

If this link works, it shows the boat in action on its maiden test run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73bGZ02PGvw

Cheers
Craig  :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »

Crikey that's good Craig.  Can't wait to see what you come up with in today's boating market.

Welcome to the club.   :-))  Glad you like the content.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

An unnecessarily over powered noisy model boat - Love it!!
   :-)) {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ACTion

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »

Takes me back a bit this does, but it's yet another one without a windscreen. Was it really that  difficult to do?
DM

Craig Dickson

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

Takes me back a bit this does, but it's yet another one without a windscreen. Was it really that  difficult to do?
DM

Firstly, thank you Ken and Martin for your compliments.

DM, thank you also for your prompt response to my first posting on this forum. Please bear in mind that this boat is way from being finished. After twenty years from starting it my prime aim was to see if it would run well with the old hardware I had used.

Now that I know it does, my next aim will be to finish the upper section. That will include the windscreen,mast and a solid bow rail silver soldered plus various other key bits and pieces to make it more scale looking.
Cheers
Craig

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »

DM

... at that speed, it may have started the run with a windscreen Dave!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Craig Dickson

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:10:27 pm »

Okay Dave

I have an identical twin brother (he's five minutes younger than me lucky bloke!). This image shows his Huntsman same wooden hull as mine: With the stock wind screen installed:

His boat has a 10cc glow engine installed. This short clip shows it on the water (it now has a fabulous bow rail installed not shown here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsjZp7wu80

Cheers
Craig ;)

craftysod

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:46:01 pm »

You two are buddy mad,
These were for fast pleasure boats not missiles.
Love the boats and the noise,as per real boats
Mark

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »

DM
Did you not read the original post where he states "Test run before completion?" >:-o
Jim

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

Did you not read the original post where he states "Test run before completion?" >:-o
Clearly not properly.
Please excuse my oversight or put it down simply to nostalgia clouding my eyes. It's over 39 years since I designed this model and I have certain fixed ideas about how it should look. That deck is splendid - far better than my own plain veneer sheeting. My worst memory of Huntsman is seeing one with a HUGE  SLA battery on board (and  no windscreen.....), lumbering round a lake like a heavily-pregnant narrow boat. BTW the prototype was fitted with a Hirtenberg HP61 F R/C; the very first model engine to produce > 1 BHP. Talk about greased weasel pooh! My favourite memory is seeing a version with a Gannet 4-stroke 15cc petrol engine (or was it a Channel Island Special?), built by Dennis Jenvy of the Nottingham Model Boat Club. I was so  proud............
Good on yer, Craig - please post some more piccies when it's all finished.
Dave M

MikeA

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:06 am »

Clearly not properly.
Please excuse my oversight or put it down simply to nostalgia clouding my eyes. It's over 39 years since I designed this model and I have certain fixed ideas about how it should look. That deck is splendid - far better than my own plain veneer sheeting. My worst memory of Huntsman is seeing one with a HUGE  SLA battery on board (and  no windscreen.....), lumbering round a lake like a heavily-pregnant narrow boat. BTW the prototype was fitted with a Hirtenberg HP61 F R/C; the very first model engine to produce > 1 BHP. Talk about greased weasel pooh! My favourite memory is seeing a version with a Gannet 4-stroke 15cc petrol engine (or was it a Channel Island Special?), built by Dennis Jenvy of the Nottingham Model Boat Club. I was so  proud............
Good on yer, Craig - please post some more piccies when it's all finished.
Dave M

Did you design this or mass produce this model or something  :o

MikeA

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:34:34 am »

wheres that boating lake at craig?

ACTion

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 07:57:52 am »

Did you design this or mass produce this model or something  :o

The design work was done between April and August 1972 when I was but a mere slip of a lad. The original kits were produced by Model Avionics from 1973. There were two models; a 1/8 scale (46") and a 1/11 scale (34"). They were heavily adapted in the mid 80s to use die-cut Liteply (a mistake, in my view) and the kits are still available from Anglian Model Centre. They can also be purchased with GRP hulls.
DM

aslo44

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 09:42:40 am »

Excellent boat Craig, welcome to the forum (I'm a newbie myself). I'm having a go at restoring one of these myself
but I keep leaving it for a few days then doing a little bit more "I keep making mistakes especially with the paint job".
Your boat goes fast with the IC motor in it but I am limited to electric where I sale. Anyway well done Craig. Alan

Craig Dickson

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 05:17:26 pm »

wheres that boating lake at craig?

Hi Mike

That lake is at Carnaby near Bridlington. It is part and parcel of the Bridlington Model Boat Society and has fabulous facilities dedicated for model boating of all types.

Cheers
Craig

MikeA

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 05:22:16 pm »

not round here then :( where do u sail in Brigg do you go on the canal?

Craig Dickson

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 05:29:35 pm »

Hi all

I'd like to thank you all for your encouraging comments and input.

The history of the kits from Dave was interesting. I agree about the die cut ply being a mistake. No doubt an attempt to cut production costs and keep the retail price point down. Almost all of those parts that came with my original kit were in my opinion not accurately enough cut so I replaced them with thicker ply cut by hand.

I have a 49" Perkasa which from memory came from Model Avionics. That kit had much better quality pre cut ply components.

Cheers
Craig

Craig Dickson

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »

not round here then :( where do u sail in Brigg do you go on the canal?

I only run IC powered boats so the Bridlington club is the only place I run them. 50 mile trip about an hours drive but well worth it.

Cheers
Craig

MikeA

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 05:34:31 pm »

cant you ic boats on the any of the waters in brigg? i wonder if i can use IC in scunny

Craig Dickson

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »

I am not aware of any waters allowed in Brigg. For Scunthorpe I am sure you could used the big lake near Morrisons bottom of Motlash hill. But you would need a rescue boat etc.

I joined the Bridlington club simply because it has all facilities at hand on a safe secure site.

Cheers
Craig

MikeA

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »

I do sail there i dont have a rescue boat though. last time my boat got stuck i stripped down and went in maiden votage it was too.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 09:22:09 am »

great videos! these boats handle so well at speed :-))

Craig Dickson

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 05:32:37 pm »

great videos! these boats handle so well at speed :-))

Thanks for your reply Red181. I agree the great thing about these boats is that you can run them with a multitude of different power plants. And they command presence on the water even when running slower.
Cheers
Craig

Craig Dickson

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

Hi folks

My twin brother's 47" Huntsman ran well this last weekend, 10cc glow engine. Hopefully this post will show 3 still images and a short movie clip of it on the lake:

And the short movie clip (click below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0YZN4yFo1k
Cheers, Craig
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.