Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can it print a model boat  (Read 6087 times)

joppyuk

Re: Can it print a model boat
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

Bee - I saw the 'click' exerpt while having breakfast. They seemed to go into considerable detail, showing various examples produced by the different print methods. I tried to put a heads-up on the topic, but couldn't track it down (looking for wrong title) and had to get of to work. Glad to see someone else got there. Perhaps the sequence can be watched on the BBC i-player.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:13 am »

BTW a version that prints wax is available, and you can get this service at shapeways. They print a master in wax then use that to make an investment casting in sterling silver.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:51 pm »

I also had to decide between a new car or a laser cutter ...... boy do I love my laser cutter , luckily the brochures show it being used for scrapbooking and cutting patchwork squares so it was easy to get the wife on-side

broger

• Shipmate
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 02:11:27 pm »

Hi
I'm 63 and retired at 50 after teaching engineering to adults for a well known confectionery company.
I now have a part time job as a D&T technician in a Technology college (secondary school)
We have 2 lazer cutters and 2 3D printers or Rapid prototypes as they are called.
The children have been using these for the last 5 years to make some fantastic GCSE and A level projects.
I was the first one to build the commercial version of the rep-rap sold by the A1 company and called Rap-Man
This was the one designed by Bath Uni.
It was £850 3 years ago it's now only £550.
http://www.a1-tech.co.uk/
You will need to be able to use a drawing package, to produce STL files.
We use Solidworks
http://www.techsoft.co.uk/products/software/SolidWorks.asp

Just like your PC, the kids can show you how.
As for your first post of building a boat, It can produce perfect parts that will lock together to form a hull or even the complete boat cabins and all.
It not the machine thats good it's your ability to draw it in the first place.

Click was good but the consept of a machine that can make itself, not yet.

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:01 pm »

HEY HEY I do not want to print a model, modelships is way to spend enjoyable time, with the premium of get something make with the hands, maybe something ugly, but a piece of art to me, enjoy the hobby in the old way, best wishes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 23 queries.