Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What model shops are there left?  (Read 28648 times)

dondecap

Re: What model shops are there left?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:36 pm »

hi guys.
just found another ........a few miles north of Bristol.
http://www.puffinmodels.com/category.php?dept=190
main dealer for petrol and electric motors plus some fittings and servos etc.
couple of kits

regards
don

mikgo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »

Hi
There is a very good model shop in Langley Mill which is near to Nottingham. Its called Mick Ward models he is a very helpful fella carries a lot of boat stock plus cars and planes, he also has a good selection of secondhand boats. It is always a pleasant visit when I call in he has alot of time to help beginners.
if we didnt have boats, we'ved  have webbed feet

tonysmoke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 01:29:26 pm »

No Model shops here in jersey,  just use the Webb,   cheers all from sunny  jersey,
t le b

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »

I don't knowe whether this one has been mentioned before, but seeing as  Redbank models has gone there is one called Speedy's models for those in the fylde area on the A6 just north of the Broughton M6/ M55 / A 6 junction heading North towards Garstang, just before the first set of traffic lights on the right hand side. I went yesterday he's open from 11.00 am to 4.00pm most days and seams well stocked and said thsat if more boaters used him he'd stock even more for us.

well worth using or loose him.

neil.

He is a bit unreliable at times. The car club I used to help run tried to use him but he rarely fulfilled orders. He even said he'd leave my order in the petrol station you mention (I used to travel home from Newcastle so couldnt get there by the time he closed). When I called into the station they said they'd had a few people told he'd leave stuff there to be collected but never left anything with them!

Not wanting to knock him but hopefully he has improved.

I shopped here soon after he first opened, shop was then only half the size it is now, he's a car man and knows a lot about them, aircraft kits, engines and R/C gear for planes then appeared, he's was not very well informed on flying planes but as long as you knew what you needed then fine, stock and prices for planes etc were not what we were used to though, he may be better with aircraft now, I see from the website he is stocking boats, I haven't been to the shop for some time due to a slowdown in my modelling.

You can park outside the door...if there is room...failing that there is a small car park just down the main road on the same side near the post office/shop, we used to park on the pub car park opposite the shop as the owners allowed this if you parked near the back away from the pub side entrance, the pub has changed hands now and I don't know if this is still allowed, might be an idea to google PR3 5JB on the maps before going for the first time, its a busy junction and something of a bottleneck at the traffic lights.

I might try and go for a look and see what boat gear he has, depends if I can park easily, he could fall over if he sees me!  that happened at the Preston shop after I hadn't been in for a long time...%) I'll see if I can find out what he has and try to gee him up a bit...!!!

Speedy's website here

http://www.speedymodels.com/index.asp

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

mikearace

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:44 pm »

For work reasons I have to visit Hereford once a fortnight or so.  Normally I park my car go into the offices, do whatever business I need to do for however long it takes then get back in the car and drive back to my normal office or home depending on how long I am there for, which is sometimes the whole day.  I never normally venture out of the office which is just next to the town centre.  Today though as I had no lunch with me I decided to go out and find a bakers or sandwich shop.  I went out of the office turned right walks 50 yards and was then in front of a very large model shop - the herefrod Model Centre!!!  All these months going there and I hadnt a clue it is there.  And it wasnt a bad shop at all. Mainly focus seems to be model railway but there was a bit of everything.  Lots and lots of Airfix, Tamiya kits etc. But there was also significant RC stuff both planes and a few boats mainly Robbe and a few others.  Very well priced too. There is a robbe sea jet on sale for £119.  Most places that are selling this at around £140-£150 so at this price its a bargain if anyone is after one.  Good range of glues and paints and evergreen and other materials.  Well worth a visit.  Much better than my two or three local ones in the Bristol area.  I know where my next lunchtimes in Hereford will be spent.     Anyone after a Robbe Sea Jet give them a bell!!!

CJ1

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

sorry, I've repeated myself!

CJ1

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50:10 pm »

I can recommend The Model Shop in Northampton. I bought my first models 50 years ago from old Mr Evans, and it is still being run by his son. They are always helpful and so I always pop in to buy something when I am passing to help keep it going. Mind you, it is still competitive despite the presence of the Web, and seems to be doing OK. (and you can park outside)
see;
www.modelshop-northants.com
Chris

dondecap

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »

HI mikearace ,
sounds good .....online as   herefrod Model Centre .co.uk 
but all train stuff you have to do a search for any thing else. boats only brought up a nail pusher and two other things
but there is contact details so a phone call prob would not go amiss.
regards
don

sentry

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »

nice one in Scunthorpe North lincolnshire called Shemansnot a lot o boat stuff but very friendly and helpful staff.
 regards Sentry.

Stiggolas

« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2011, 12:36:27 pm »

I can recommend Williamsons Model land in Doncaster, it's an Aladins cave full of stuff from cars to helis and planes. They do quite a bit of boaty stuff and stock MFA / Robbe bits, Chatting to the lady serving, she seemed to know what she was talking about and wished she could stock more boaty bits. General modelling stuff - paints, dope, sanding sealer etc were all well stocked. If you don't like dogs - beware, there's 2 bloody great German shapherds roaming the shop most of the time (daft as you like, likely to get licked to death!).
We also have a TAG models. If you want trains it's ok, but even they advised me to go to Williamsons for the bits I wanted!

http://www.awml.co.uk/shop/

newboy

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2011, 12:27:40 pm »

I live in  Winsford Cheshire and we have an excellent Model shop called 'Barnstormers'.

They are mainly Aircraft, Helicopters and Cars but seem to be getting more stock of Boats.

They are also very helpful and will order in anything you require.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2011, 04:30:33 pm »

Two in Grimsby but nothing for boats apart from the usual plastics and adhesives and paints

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:11 pm »

Here in Calgary Canada on the other side of the pond there are several  hobby shops, the largest & a very large stock is PM hobby. However they lack a kn owlgable boat person, the service is poor to say the least, I had to go 3 times before I got any help to purchase my Smit Nederland. Needless to say I now buy most of my stuff from the U/K, good to great service depending on which I have dealt with, ACTion electronics being the best followed by Westbourne & Cornwall. NOTE, I have no connection to these companies other than purchasing supplies from them. Mick B.
Mick B.

markymar93

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »

we have smc in worthing, sussex. a great model shop and although it does not sell lots of boat bits, they are very helpful and can get anything in.  i have used them for the last 20 years and have found them to be great.

Chippie

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2011, 09:35:15 am »

in hull we ave (the model shop) and (just kits)only ones ive found so far

Would that be the model shop that existed on Ferensway and has ceased trading?

I only know of Just Kits.. {:-{

The long Build

« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2011, 10:07:29 am »

We Have Steve Webbs as the main shop around, a few others but more railways , cars etc.

Webb's tends to be more Cars and Planes as that is where Steve's expertise is, the shop has been around in Frodsham for as Long as I can remember, but does have boats kits on the upper floor and will try to get anything you tend to need, stocks lots of small bits & pieces and balsa etc..

www.stevewebb.co.uk

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2011, 10:16:38 am »

We Have Steve Webbs as the main shop around, a few others but more railways , cars etc.

Webb's tends to be more Cars and Planes as there it where Steve's expertise is, the shop has been around in Frodsham for as Long as I can remember, but does have boats kits on the upper floor and will try to get anything you tend to need, stocks lots of small bits & pieces and balsa etc..

www.stevewebb.co.uk

Have dealt with steve on more than one occasion and he is a pleasure to deal with. both on line and via telephone.  One of the few companies left that actually call back when they say they will
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Spook

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »

Does anyone know if the model shop in Abergavenny is still going/any good? I was thinking of going for a pootle up that way in the car and might pop in for a nose/spontaneous purchase if it's worth it.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »

Ah, the Dolls house shop.
I think it's under new management. I haven't been up there for a year or so, so I cannot really say. You might try telephoning first. They were quite good for boat bits and gave 10% discount for boat club members.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Spook

« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »

Cheers Ken. Might be up that way week after next. :-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.