Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manly advice required please.  (Read 8054 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Manly advice required please.
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 03:30:30 am »

:D...just another thought of misconception  {-) ..a jigsaw cut finish is not really intended to be a final/finished   surface of a finished    product  :P

Scroll saw cuts  are also subject to wander >:-o >>:-( <*< .....

As others have suggested...patience, lower speed, lower force/pressure, blade selection, blade alignment & a fence....... :-)) ....all good points Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 04:28:40 pm »

Off the top of my head I can't remember what make it is, and it's far to late and dark to venture into the dark and scary cellar. However, I suspect it was B&Q's premium budget line.....if that makes sense. :embarrassed:

The blades have a bayonet fitting and there's a roller sits against the back edge of the blade. It also has speed and pendulum settings which are beyond me......especially as I've filed the instruction manual somewhere. >>:-(

Saw this and my heart stopped.    :o

Are we fighting a computer control wizard. What does this mean --- 'pendulum'.  Do you reckon the machine is doing it's thing ?

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

rmaddock

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:51 pm »

Okay, thanks everybody.
I bought some new blades this morning.....no choice except "proper" brands in our local B&Q. I did discover that the one I had were very short...designed for fretwork etc. That wont have helped.

Anyway, I took my new blades and all your advice and did some zen sawing of old Ikea units today. Lovely results. I've now got a boat stand for the Nobby to be (reasonably) proud of. You can see the results HERE.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 03:43:58 am »

Okay, thanks everybody.
I bought some new blades this morning.....no choice except "proper" brands in our local B&Q. I did discover that the one I had were very short...designed for fretwork etc. That wont have helped.

Anyway, I took my new blades and all your advice and did some zen sawing of old Ikea units today. Lovely results. I've now got a boat stand for the Nobby to be (reasonably) proud of. You can see the results HERE.

Well done :-)) :-))

Nordsee

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 08:34:30 pm »

Off the top of my head I can't remember what make it is, and it's far to late and dark to venture into the dark and scary cellar. However, I suspect it was B&Q's premium budget line.....if that makes sense. :embarrassed:

The blades have a bayonet fitting and there's a roller sits against the back edge of the blade. It also has speed and pendulum settings which are beyond me......especially as I've filed the instruction manual somewhere. >>:-(
Speed controls are used for various thicknesses of wood, Pendulum is for when you cut straight , no pendulum when cutting curves. Fine teeth blade, high speed, coarse teeth , slow speed. Buy good blades, that is the begin and end all. Cheap blades are mostly a waste of cash.Do not push too hard, let the saw do the work. If you are cutting laminates you need a special blade for them.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 07:00:12 am »

NEVER buy cheap tools they always break or go wrong at key moments, people ask me why I use expensive Snapon tools, the short answer is I lose fewer knuckles.Mick B.
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:58 am »

Agreed on the tools front

tho some of my tools are cheapies the ones in regular use are all either snap on or draper
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

catengineman

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 10:14:55 am »

I loaned out some tools once.
The chap saying they were "cr8p" so he left them in his garden shed and why did I not loan him my snap-on stuff?
now let me see?
nope can't think of a reason why I would loan out MY tools

treeboa

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 10:41:36 am »

anyone wanting to borrow my snap on gear is told to go forth and procreate  O0, i came to this decision many years ago when i lent someone my black impacts, got them back 2 weeks later  covered in surface rust, his attitude was its only a bit of rust --wire wool will sort it, got a bit shirty a few weeks later when i refused to lend him  my mig

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 10:42:03 am »

I used to with a 500 quid deposit  :D
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.