Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: german U-Boats  (Read 2505 times)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
german U-Boats
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:07:18 pm »

Nice model reinhard..Here hopefully are a few of my type V11 C, U 69 hope you like her

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: german U-Boats
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:02 pm »

Hi Sub Driver, you have made a super model and I like your very detailed conning tower. Is it the OTW kit? What is it's length? What is it's scale?

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:48:45 am »

Super model, well done. I also think you have judged the weathering just right.

Roger in France.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:52:51 am »

This is the best example of the Robbe kit you are ever going to see.  It looks even better in the flesh than it does in the pictures.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:49:57 am »

:) Thanks Guys....Reinhard the model started out life as the Robbe U-47 Kit, 1:40 scale about 68 inch long.  I intended to re-work the entire boat when I got it , I chose the Robbe for the basic Hull shape as I believe it is one of the most accurate representations. The Tower was er thrown in the bin...and I bought the Accurate Armour kit, not cheap but great quality, All the metal work was white metal...not strong enough for our purposes so I re-made all the metal work from Brass took ages but worth the effort...I have quite a few books on U-boats Anatomy of the ship etc, these show you all the rivet detail and stringers from the actual ship yard drawings etc this enabled me to detail the hull....about 10,000 rivets all by hand !!! (was seeing rivets in my sleep). I redid all the operating linkages and hydroplane shafts etc...not good engineering ( square bars in round holes etc ) re-cut some of the deck with hatches etc vent holes, torpedo doors blah blah.
The model is converted to static dive with the Engle piston tank system and electronics etc running on 3.7NIMH cells at 6v each x2 giving 7.4 Amps should be enough.
Like Reinhard I chose an Atlantic cammo pattern ( I love the stripes on U-Boats makes em look real ) 4 different shades of grey and all the horizontal surfaces ( when seen from the air ) painted the darker shade as per full size ( you can see the demarcation line on some shots ie forward Cannon ) All air brushed with Tamiya acrylic paints and weathered with Rail match Rust ( 3 different shades ) then Humbrol Acrylic satin varnish. Roger thanks for the comment on weathering..took ages didn't want to overdo it, just wanted that first patrol look. Bunkerbarge.. ;) .Humbled by your comment...I agree but then I'm biased   ;D ;D ;D. Once again guys  thanks for the feed back.
Back to my type XX1 I'm building hopefully to the same standard .  Remember All surface boats are targets ! and may you always surface the right way UP !!!

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 01:10:25 pm »

Hi again Sub driver, many thanks for the info. The Accurate Armour fitments are really nice. I've only ever seen one Robbe boat, and that was a long time ago, and I don't remember it looking anything like as good as yours. It certainly had me fooled! Anyway, I look forward to seeing your new boat. Is it based on the Metcalf or R&R hull or something else? I am also building a new boat of the same war period. It's an OTW Type XX111, 55" long and 1/25 scale. Perhaps we could compare notes.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:02:59 pm »

:) Hello Reinhard...its another Robbe, this time the U2540...but its had the same treatment as the type V11...much more detail and totally revamped the whole deck area and access points.Totally re worked the tower, again with the Engle Dive system and electronics, its 1:40 scale and is 79 inch long, they will look great together both at each ends of the second world war period and the same scale. I have always fancied a XX111, at that scale you should be able to get the " Fish " or "Eel's " as they called them working....I would love to see some shots of her. Any close ups of your V11. ;D I will try and show you some of the XX1, but be gentle with me its still in the building stage with loads more work and detailing to do.
I scratch built a type 1X a few yrs ago and a couple of Nukes too, still going strong.
Where in the world are you ?.
I could guess but would probably get it wrong !  ;D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.