Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Huntsman 47ins  (Read 17426 times)

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
Fairy Huntsman 47ins
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:29:51 pm »

Hi all just joined this forum today and must say how very helpfull the topics are i have been reading them for some weeks now, i have been model boating for some years on and off and am now scratch building a Vic Smeed plan huntsman 28 47ins i would like to ask if someone can point me in the right direction and advise me wot elect motors set up is best for this model, i would like to put twin motor in something fairly fast but not to pricey, i don't know a lot about electric motors I'm used to nitro having been into model aircraft most of the time.

thanks  chombo

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Fairy Huntsman 47ins
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:36:00 pm »

Welcome  I think you will find it is 42" if it is the vic smeed boat have a look at this for starters http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.0

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairy Huntsman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:20:49 pm »

Hi Peter thank you for the reply, yes i got the size wrong its a 41" Reds post is brilliant i have read other parts but
not this one, i will get on and read it now.

thanks. chombo

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:24:12 pm »

Hi Ive gone with 2 tornado thumper V2 4250/06 800kv motors with 60a esc on exposed shafts with p brackets,
still researching wot battery's to use, i have couple of pictures of the build as it progresses along,

:-)

start sheeting over next and motor set up back soon. :-)

chombo

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »

before you start sheeting you need to do something about shafts, I would make a pair of keels imaging the main keel and parallel. have them notch in to the bulk heads like the original does I have some pictures of a fire boat I did also where the prop comes out and the angle is important the new keels will cover the last two compartments, I have a picture of a fire boat I did that way some years ago and it worked well,I am helping with a 46" boat now but that was finished so it was a different method, there is a picture of the position Paul ( red181 ) put his centre shaft and rudder in and it is where you need to put yours, by the way your hull looks great takes me back to when I built mine a long time ago
Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:19:37 am »

Hi Peter
       thanks for your pictures it really helps when you can see things on pictures and paper,
i was wondering how to do the servo for the rudders i see now from your set up, i have set
my shafts at an angle of 12degrees same as the drawings, have a look at my pictures of the
set up, I'm going to use a rubber coupling as the one in the picture,

back soon chombo  :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

not a fan of the couplings, as they can be a bit stiff are are normally used on IC boats , so what are you using for power, I am helping with a 46 fire boat at the moment that was built so we came at it from a different direction, but hear are some pictures of the rudder set up.

Peter

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:17:14 pm »

Hi Chombo,

May I suggest you consider longer propshafts to reduce the angle of the propshafts as much as possible.
The shallower angle will give you a better riding attitude, specially as what you're about to install has considerably more grunt than two IC engines, specially at low revs...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:52:49 pm »

the fire boat that I posted pictures of the rudder has 11" outer shafts this gives a nice shallow angle. on Paul's (red181) huntsman 28 42" which is single shaft he uses 12"  we are also using M5 shafts , the first thing we did with Paul's was to lower the angle as the plans are old and the propulsion at the time was Ic  we lowered the back of the shaft by about 1" plus extended the lengh .

if you look at Paul's boat   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.msg311874#msg311874 it is the same as yours you will see the inner  end of the prop shaft is quite low

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:17:14 am »

Hi all thanks for the comments, i have moved the motor forward into the next compartment and lowered
the shaft angle, the shaft will be about 16" long m5, i think you also need a strong coupling to be on the safe side,
 all good fun.

back soon chombo. :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:25:38 am »

there is no need to fully move them in to the next compartment I would keep 12" as a max and go M5 as you have to watch for vibration on high speed shafts, if you are using outrunners that most people do, they should fit in the second compartment using 11" outer shafts with plenty of space if you look at red 181 he got all his running gear in the 2nd compartment even using a bulky gear box ill find a picture, what part of the UK are you in ?

PM me if you don't want to put it on the web in case you are close and you could see Paul's set up and get some ideas have you decided on motors batteries.
have a look at this and you will see the angle and postion that we got the shaft to, we decided on the Max size for a prop and made a disc to go on the prop end then got that where we wanted it and lowered the inside there will be plenty of space for 2 out runners and couplings think about using the prop shop ones bit more expensive but very strong and if you are using 2.4 ghz there is no problem with electrical noise, you will only ever have to buy them once if you run plastic ones you will buy a set a run with decent motors

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.0   post 24

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:59:01 pm »

Hi Peter thanks for reply, the problem i have is the motor mounts cant go any lower in the hull
because the v of the hull stops them if you see wot i mean, reds has a gearbox lowering the shaft
to the keel more, my shafts are 3 & nine sixteenths centers, unless i just get them as low as i can
and keep them in the same compartment any pictures you have to help would be appreciated it helps alot, the motors are outrunners
tornado thumpers 800kv, I'm  in Poole, Dorset right by the sea,

chombo

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »

Yep I know  about the gear box I made it and did part of the fitting and it still has a part of the original motor bed , we lowered it slightly but put a 1/4 ply piece on top if you look at this picture you will see there would be plenty of space to a brushless for direct drive , the number one thing is it must be a dead straight connection that is why we use the belt system to guarantee that even when we go towards 1 to 1 in gearing, the bottom pulley in the picture is not far of the size of motor you are proberly using (what dia is the motor is it the 42mm one) if so its the same as I am using on my fire boat. I make up a bit of ply or plastic to work out the angles and spacing use a strip about 14" long and you can lay out where the shaft hole starts and the angle and if it will fit all from a scrap of wood the picture was from a small fire boat I did a few years ago there is a blog on the fire boat web site but it was a fiberglass hull  but this method will still tell you if it will fit without damaging your nice hull

http://modelfireboats.com/blogs/display.php?blogid=15

Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:32:03 pm »

hi there chombo

If you are pushed for clearance between your hull and your motor mount, have you considered turning the motor and mount upside down so that the motor is now hanging from the motor mount?   This often gives you that extra bit of clearance which you require.    Making and fitting supports for the motor is a lot easier this way.

Have a look at the pics I have put on here.

Also, this will do away with trying to construct or find offset gear boxes.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31199.0
food for thought there.

aye
john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:16:25 pm »

I'm  in Poole, Dorset right by the sea,

chombo

Hi Chombo

Could you put this in your profile please then members will know where you are.   :}

regards
ken

ps   Poole is my favourite place. Had to give up the caravan for financial reasons but loved it there.

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »

all the motors want is a siimple side to side mount a simple flat ally plate if you make it from some heavy ally you could water cool it the last think you want to do is box a out runner in  they need plenty of air and watercooling on the front plate as the heat wells up dramatically as soon as they stop, on red181s boat we are going to water cool the new gear box plate and have a pump to circulate when stopped but he is pulling 80amps on a run according to the Data , on the new twins in the fireboat there is a brass mount on the shaft and that has a watercooling plate sandwiched between it and the motor, outrunners normally have a great big prop cooling them in a plane , so keep them wide open to the air a front Mount is simple to do I did one years ago in a fire boat for brushed motors  that was a lot bigger than you will need but it gives you an idea of what I mean have you got any machining capabilities down there Mill ? this can be still done with a hacksaw and drill though  make it slimmer and thicker and drill for water cooling.

Peter

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:29 am »

Hi Chombo, been reading with interest, looks like a really nice build you have there, and those motors look real good, cant wait to see how you get on.

Really inventive idea Bluebird, hanging motor uipside down, however, with these motors that chombo has selected

They will rapidly overheat as they will have no cooling under the mount, at the bottom of the hull. Whilst there will be negligible air flow the right way up, any will help! Also being outrunners, and loose items that may end up at the botom of the hull risk being caught in the motor, just a thought :-))

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 07:12:56 am »

Hi all and thank you for all your help, have to say reds huntsman and his thread is a real credit to him and has been
a real help to me, I'm going to be hard at it now to install the motors, reds picture is the motors I'm using they
are 42mm dia, i was going to use the v2 4260 500kv same make, they have a cooling fan in them, they were all sold out
 so went for the 4250,  one thing i cant see is how do you water cool the motor mount, i understand all the set
 up but how does it connect to motor mounts. I will post some more pictures as soon as i have the motors setup solved.
Peter i don't have a machine workshop i have a spare bedroom i work in and do most things by hand. Reading the
 fire boat blog.

chombo  :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:04:18 pm »

you can buy or make watercooled mounts that is why I suggested a side to side in heavy ally 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 8" , you could drill holes to lighten it and drill holes from top edge to bottom edge for water cooling or use the pre made ones from the likes of astec if you want to make one ill do a sketch

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31966.msg316331#msg316331  reply 33

or

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=182

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:12 am »

yes i get the idea, have a go and make my own, if you have time for drawing scetch
would be much appreciated.

chombo

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 08:01:45 am »

OK ill do something today send me a email address to my PM and I will send you something it's a pity we are so far away "Up North"  or you could come and see how we are doing it ill also send you a picture of our new way to do it, it's interesting.

peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:47 am »

Hi all thought id post some more pictures of the build, took Peters advice and used a 1. 1/4" x 1/4" home made motor mount
i have left out for now the water cooling holes in the mount as i think it will weaken it to much, 1/8" drilled top to bottom,
could i drill front to back or would this have little effect i dont know,the mount is bolted in so i can take it out if need be,
drilled the p brakets in and the rudders all lines up perfectly, have kept the shaft angle as low as posible so i can go up to
a 2" prop, dont think i will need to im thinking 1. 3/4" might be ok. Cut and put the ply skins on and planked the deck
i wasnt going to plank it but changed my mind its only balsa planking so i can stain it havnt tried this before so see how it
turns out if you dont trie you dont know thats me, i shal get on now to finish all the hull fit the keel band and all the
stiffners then prime the hull. back soon.

chombo  :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59:27 pm »

the mount looks great , can you send me a larger picture to my email addres so I can have a good look .
You could slip one of these in between the motor and mount, just longer bolts, nice mount you will probably find if you weigh the mount you have made and the weight of two small mounts the one you have made will not be any heavier,

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=rcbp1814011

Have you seen how red181 has done the bulkhead behind the motors , he has cut the centre out and used a thin false bulkhead that is removable, you can then have a solid front roof and keep it waterproof.

Peter

olly49

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 10:56:54 pm »

Hi To all,
I have a wooden 46" Predecent Huntsman built in the 70's, it was powered by a merco 61cc.
I would like to convert it to brushless, could anyone tell me a suitable brushless motor and ESC?

It has been suggested that I go for a Leopard 48 series or the 56 series.

Many Thanks

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 07:31:51 am »

Hi i don't know wether you meant to post this question for me or you meant to post as a new post,
your best bet is to look at the other posts with the same boat as yours there is plenty of good information
on them i cant advise you as i am the same as you new to this electric set up sorry i cant help further.

chombo :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.