Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairy Huntsman 47ins  (Read 17424 times)

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairy Huntsman 47ins
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 09:24:03 am »

Hi all i have been doing other things and haven't had much time for the huntsman
i have painted the hull with plasti-kote enamel water based paint i like the finish and
its easy to keep everything clean, i fitted the windows and frames, i painted the inside
of the windows black as i don't want to see through, i have put the mahogany deck mouldings
on and stained them as the deck planking i will coat it all with matt varnish to finish,
i like reds cabin door wall removeable for access to the front cabin, i am going to just
have a pair of doors removable so i can get my hand through for access to the bec
battery, i made a box for the battery out of depron sheet its tough and easy to work
with, i have fitted the rudders, servo tray and lower deck with access to rudder workings,
i have the font cabin roof to go on with no access hatch, have put some more pictures on,
i haven't weighed the boat yet will do that when the motors and battery's are in, i will keep
the balance point around where the motors are fitted, thats it for now.

chombo :-)

MikeA

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

whats the little battery for? Usually the esc or in your case esc's have the bec built in so you wont need the little battery for your radio gear.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 12:08:47 pm »

With some escapements you have to turn off the BEC if you run over a certain voltage it can also be safer to run a good receiver pack especially in a big boat that weight is not a big problem but it is desirable to keep the weight down

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 03:44:10 pm »

I didn't want to use the bec in the esc, would have had to seal one off any way, so kept it separately on its own battery,
 to eliminate any problems.

chombo  :-)

MikeA

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 05:11:44 pm »

youl have to seal them both off now you know  :o

triumphjon

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 08:15:14 pm »

i currently have three variants of the fairey huntsman / spear , all of which have twin shafts & motors i normally run with the red lead disconected from  rx to the esc , feeding the rx from a separate power source . jon

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 06:44:28 am »

Thanks for your help, i did seal off the red wires to the escs, i am using futaba servo S3001 will
this be OK for the twin rudders or do i need a metal geared one ? I'm using hobbywing 60amp esc
i used a setup card to set them both up the card was very easy to use, i brough a watt metre at
the same time so should be Abel to match up the best set up i think.

MikeA

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:22:30 am »

i dont understand why people would put up the bonus weight and expense of a receiver battery when the bec works fine  :o

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:42 am »

i dont understand why people would put up the bonus weight and expense of a receiver battery when the bec works fine  :o

because when you are running twin motors you can sometimes open up the throttle full and the voltage drops to the bec  so the receiver can loose signal and so will go in to safe mode, it may only happen for a fraction of a second , if you view the traces from something like an eagle tree you will see what I mean.

peter

MikeA

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 09:15:32 am »

oh :o thanks for educating me :-))

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 06:35:43 am »

as peter said and i have read on some forums they advise to use separate bec battery for the receiver
 and not power it through bec of the esc, as they say its not good for the receiver.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:20 pm »

Just lurking here Chombo - any updates?

Dave

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07:29 am »

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delay I have some more picks to put on soon the boat is near ready to go.

Chombo  :-)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 08:36:11 pm »

Great, Really looking forward to it.

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:55 am »

Some more pictures for you, nearly all done just a few small bits to do, the set up is

MOTOR TORNADO THUMPER V2 4250/06 800KV BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER x2
BATTERY  GENS ACE 5500MAH 3SELL 25C LIPO x2
ESC SEAKING 60A BURST 120A INPUT 2-6CELLS LIPO x2
PROPS GRAUPNER 45MM  M5 x2 PROPS

the thing is do i need a fuse in battery wire to esc if so what size and what type ?
my balance point is about 17" from the stern will have to try the boat out to see how it
goes.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 11:13:41 am »

the boat is looking great I cannot wait to get news of it's first sail, I would go for a 50 amp fuse in the battery line (pos + ) and see how that goes you may have to up it so get a slightly bigger in case it is better to replace a fuse than a speed ctr go for blade type as they have a more positive connection I think.

Peter

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:41 pm »

Nice to see you back on here Chombo.

As I am a nosy so and so ........... what's the other boat in pic three above?

Dave

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »

dont tell him Chombo, he is dead nosy.  O0 you know what Scousers are like  %% %%

Peter :D

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:16 am »

Thanks Peter I hope to take it to the lake soon, I have ordered 2 maxi fuse holders and 50amp, 60amp fuses they are
quite big so will have to be extended into the front cabin, i need a steering wheel and seats next, I mislaid one of
my cabin top vents I cant find it anywhere does this happen to any one else lol.

Thanks Dave, the boat you cant see on the top shelf is my Pat Tritle orca I scratch built this one, the mast has to be done
and the barrels made haven't got round to finishing it yet I tend to go off on another project when I get near
the end, here are some picture of orca and a huffy.

Alan :-) chombo

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 02:41:13 pm »

Thanks Peter I hope to take it to the lake soon, I have ordered 2 maxi fuse holders and 50amp, 60amp fuses they are
quite big so will have to be extended into the front cabin, i need a steering wheel and seats next, I mislaid one of
my cabin top vents I cant find it anywhere does this happen to any one else lol.

Thanks Dave, the boat you cant see on the top shelf is my Pat Tritle orca I scratch built this one, the mast has to be done
and the barrels made haven't got round to finishing it yet I tend to go off on another project when I get near
the end, here are some picture of orca and a huffy.

Alan :-) chombo

yes Paul is using the maxi fuses , what is it with Veron Huntsman owners and Orcas this is red 181 orca thats his onboard soud that he can play whatever sound he wants from the tx, It's a realy nige boat on the water looks and sounds so much better than the vid very realistic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEngFE3EKg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Peter

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 03:01:29 pm »

Hi Chombo,

What did you add as watercooling to the motomount, if I may ask?

Running it as it is (in the picture) will most likely go well in this type of weather, but when summer comes, you'll need addidional cooling...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:45 pm »

if you decide you need heat sinks I can make a pair that will go on the coupling side and all you will need is longer bolts Oh  and some mesurments,

Peter

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2012, 07:00:07 am »

Hi Jan

I haven't added any watercooling to the motors or mounts the mounts are thick and can take away some
of the heat I hope, any way i Will just have to see what happens its a learning curve for me
as I dint know much about electric set ups.

Thanks Peter for the offer will let you know, hope two have a video of the first outing for you all to see.

Alan :-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »

Hi Alan, looking good! wish I had done twin screw on mine, maybe a project for the future! if I smash it up! :}

my seats are from a car boot sale, cut out of a large plastic toy truck, and the steering wheel was from a model boat show vendor, its white lead, I think it was scale hobbies in skelmersdale, he helped me with a few bits in nickel plate and chrome, including the front rail thingy! :-))

chombo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:33 am »

Thanks Paul Ill have to go car booting for some bits some time.
 I seem to slow down at the end of the build and leave some bits to finish and go onto something else,
I did take the huntsman for the first wetting it went very well but wasn't impressed with the length of run time
I had about 5mins flat out and then it slowed off the plane for 5 to 10 mins I didn't time it perhaps I need
bigger batteries I have Gens Ace 5500mah 3S 25C Lipo Battery 1 per motor at the moment, still I did like the way
the boat went I think they are a brilliant boat to have, some pictures below.

Thats it for now chombo  :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.