Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U534 at Birkenhead  (Read 3880 times)

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
U534 at Birkenhead
« on: March 10, 2007, 04:38:03 pm »

Here are some more U-boat pics to annoy the uninitiated. Note the depth charge damage to the starboard side compared with the port. Well worth a visit inside if you are one of the converted.

PSSHIPS

Re: U534 at Birkenhead
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:45:23 pm »

Good pics, but, it don't look like that anymore! Its been dragged a couple of hundred yards down the jetty and left to rust. The museum closed on the 25th of February 2006 . The Onyx is in Barrow now and the Plymouth and Bronnington are being left to rust away in another berth accross the docks.

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:18 pm »

Hi PSSHIPS, many thanks for the info. The pics were taken in Nov. 2005 and there was a rumour circulating at that time about a possible closure of the museum.  From memory, they would only take 10 visitors at a time, twice a day, when we were there, but business was pretty steady.  What a crying shame that it has all ended like this. It was such an interesting visit to go inside despite the conditions.  I know some surface modellers think us submariners are a bit of a strange breed hence my first 'tongue in cheek' message.

PSSHIPS

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:08:27 pm »

Hi reinhard, over the last three weekends the museum was open we had record numbers of visitors and were squeezing in ten tours of the Uboat ad day at least. its a pitty that it wasn't like that all the time. Mind you even if it was there is no way we could stop Peel Holdings. They own the docks also, so we were in a no win situation with them. The museum didn't go bust as many think, we were forced off site by Peel and the trust walked away due to the fact that Peel would not give. They could have given us a new berth set up, but, oh no!
 Then it gets announced on the news this weeks that their "little" developement won't be completed for 50 years, so why did they do it the way they did last year? There are alot of angry people out there due to this all hoping that Peel will either see sence or go bust one or the other.
 Paul...

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:42:39 pm »

Hi PSSHIPS, to think you have had all that interest and still can't get anywhere. If it was some arty farty picture gallery, know doubt they would get a grant from the lottery. I'm sick of all these developers, period, and go along with your sentiments. They would demolish anything if they thought there was a quick buck to be made.

PSSHIPS

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:48:30 pm »

Thanks for the support, we had a petiton signed by thousnads of people and a hell of a lot from all over the world also who had visited the museum on holidays etc, this didn't even work, they still did it with Liverpool's capital of culture thing comming up and also the Falklands war 25th this year. The museum was dedicated to the Falklands war in the main by the way, the bu99ers still did it. It is beyond beleif.
 Paul...

Pointy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 01:26:28 pm »

Atill can't believe about the closure of this museum  :'(
 What will happen to the U 534 now?

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 06:30:41 pm »

it's a shame we are losing all this history we should be proud of our heritage and we should be doing every thing possible to preserve it.
we should also be proud of the fact that our depth charges work as well lol.
  mark
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 05:21:35 pm »

When she arrived in Birkenhead she didn't have a tower.  That was added afterwards by the museum, deliberately in bare steel to blend in, to make the overall appearance more normal so in effect the condition has significantly improved!!

It is still criminal that business is allowed to dictate the fate of our historical artifacts.  To be honest the best place for her is probably back on the sea bed where she came from and where she can remain undisturbed.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Mayhem Moderation

• Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 11:27:43 am »

Topic Moderated back on track....
But What Do I Know?!?!

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:56:53 am »

Closing the museum was another farcical British management decision  >:(

Maybe she'll go back to Germany where she'll get the restoration and attention she deserves as no one seems interested here in the UK, better that than to be another piece of heritage to be cut up by the scrap man.  :'(
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 05:29:30 pm »

My first impression when i drove down the road towards the museum, seeing that sub was at first "^^^^^^^ hell!", then i couldnt help but admire the beauty in her, and to hear that she is a rusty old piece of unwanted, unloved piece of metal, lying on her side just down the dock is really sad! 

Having been on the sub, (doing a das-boot hatch swing as i moved aft on a couple of occasions - something you cant do on onyx as the hatches dont have the same rim design and so nothing to cling to) i can confirm that only 10 visitors were allowed through at once, guided by curator Frank.

As regards the Falklands issue, it is an insult to the service personnel and merchant navy volunteers who died in the operation to liberate the islands that Plymouth may get cut up because no museum wants her.  All this because the mill that the ships were moored up by are to be turned into yuppie flats at half a mil a throw!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

PSSHIPS

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 07:11:29 pm »

Half a miil's worth of shoe box poorly built, where ya been? The block closest is now being lived in by yuppy type people. Peel holdings have got alot to answer for. A sore point for me these two threads.
 Paul...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.