Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old trawler research  (Read 4423 times)

Minime

old trawler research
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »

Hi all, I'm trying to find some information on an old trawler. Built in 1951 her name was Northella registered in Hull. She was later sold to the faroe islands where she got the name Gullberg. My grandfather used to sail with her, and he now wished to make a model of her.
Here is a page I found with some info: http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.info/index.php/2011/06/s-t-northella-h159/
a picture I found on google is also attached.
Was hoping that there are some blueprints somewhere, but I wouldn't even know where to start looking. Also if anyone knows of any similar ships and blueprints I'd really appreciate anything.
Edit:
file was too big, but here is the google link: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=S.T.+Northella+%282%29+H159&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1173&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbnid=zvVfNZ8RJeYqNM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fleetwood-fishing-industry.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php%253Fpid%253D2343&docid=6rG-9c84wCNaXM&w=800&h=592&ei=maM5TqS2GoSp8APX78zwAg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=470&page=1&tbnh=154&tbnw=260&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&tx=185&ty=67

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: old trawler research
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:02 pm »

Well photos I can help with

The shipyard she was built at is long gone but there is a good chance that the Hull City Library ( possibly the museum attached to the Arctic Corsair H320 ) may have her builders plans. Worth a shout

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »

hull docks museum used to hold all plans for Cochranes and Cook Welton and Gemmell [who i think built Northella],

But when their  long serving curator Arthur Credland retired a couple of years ago......the idiots at the museum did the unthinkable and irreprehensible, ..............

and filled loads of bin bags with all the plans they held, and shipped them off to anyone who would have them........

Beverley [ home of CWG ] museum got a load, but sadly the new curator can't even tell you who got what or even where most went.....criminal in my mind, as they DID hold the finest library of trawler lines and G A  plans anywhere in the world.........

cock up is too kind a word for what the new organisation did.........disgusting in my mind.

However, saying that. they may still be able to tell you as to where they may have gone.

neil

Minime

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:23:24 pm »

ah thanks, they can't have been in their right minds when ruining such a treasure. So is there an email address for beverley I can get hold of?
And once again thanks for the info, though almost a little bit heartbreaking still very useful.

nhp651

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:58 pm »

i don't think there is minime...and by the way their organisational skills have gone teeets up of late they probably wouldn't reply anyway. your best bet would be to phone them here..     

Town Docks Museum Queen Victoria Street Hull HU1 3DX England Tel: 01482 613902 ...

but if you want to try, then their web link is on here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/searches/locresult_details.asp?LR=323

neil.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:34 pm »

Just had a thought , try sending an Email to the archivist at Lloyds Shipping Insurance. I am fairly sure that most of the company boats were Lloyds insured and they keep a copy of the boats plans. I managed to get a set of plans for my Grandfathers last 2 boats from Lloyds about 10 years ago and I think it worked out about £10 per sheet ( A2 size ).

http://www.lloyds.com/Lloyds/Key-Contacts

enquiries@lloyds.com

You need to make sure you tell them the vessel you are enquiring about is the Northella H159 built by Cook , Welton and Gemmel in 1951 for the J Marr Fishing Company ( Hull )

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Minime

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:16 pm »

ah thanks guys, I'll try lloyds and call town docks museum too. You guys have been a great help for me, cannot thank you enough.

Minime

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:53:55 pm »

A little update.
A email to lloyds gave me an automated response that suggested to write Guildhall Library as they hold documents for lloyds.
Also sent an email to Beverley, haven't got a response.
But the Guildhall library seems to be quite fast, if I don't get a response today, I'm sure they'll contact me by monday.

Minime

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:59:02 pm »

got no email today, would you think it's too early to send an email too them tomorrow? I don't want to appear rude or impatient to them, so I'm not sure.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:54 am »

lots of riots and trouble all over London for the last 2 days so give them a little while , the people in that office may be affected by the problems and are not at work
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Minime

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:34 am »

ah that might explain it. Guess we'll wait for riots to end then...

KEMO

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:28 am »

Hiya,
      another line of enquiry for you to try is the Tyne and Wear Archives at

www.twmuseums.org.uk/archives/

they hold a number of trawler plans.

Keith.

Minime

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:56 am »

ah thanks, I'll try and contact them soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.