Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Build (record time?)  (Read 1820 times)

catengineman

New Build (record time?)
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:10:53 pm »

Hi, out there.

Well I hope that some of you will find this interesting.
I had fun doing it and the 'crew' were all amazed (inc ME) at how short a time it took. there were some small changes to the original build plans but nothing too drastic.

Diary of events started as follows....
Wednesday morning travel to work and make a detour to good old Westbourne's to collect some items for build
Wednesday evening remove model parts from box and start to assemble them.
Saturday mid afternoon (or there abouts) first test on the water at Southampton
Test complete livery and finishing touches to build and set up of VS units 
There was only a few items that required attention one being a VS unit running out of true but with some info from Westbourne's that was soon put right via a slight tap with a hammer ;D
The original name should be PARAT but this build is named VENTURE  deriving its name from the joint venture between myself and captain jack, I construct he paints and attaches the finishings.

From the pict you should be able to see that I have floated resin into the bottom of the hull which secures both the frame work the VS drive support rings and seals any penetrations made by the six support tubes for the VS table. I did not make the anchor hawspipe penetrations as there was not going to be any working anchor winches, I did fit an extra wooden brace to the stern area as the altered hook would be used for some serious towing, and also fitted a very secure ring eye to the bow forward of the windlass again for some serious towing. The stern deck has a reinforced plate bonded to its underside below the modified hook, the towing gog is solid and was bonded to the hull and deck.
The wheelhouse interior had some consoles made and varnished to cover the other wise ugly hole in the center and the telescopic fire monitor was left out as this was felt to be a gimmick 'we' did not have a requirement for.
To our surprise this build required NO extra ballasting and actually sat trim in the water, fire monitors are controlled via a servo operated switch and the VS motors are independently switched on / off again by a servo controlled switch system.

So Here is the build in pictures

catengineman

Re: New Build (record time?)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:16:26 pm »

Following on from first post

Captain Povey

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 07:58:46 pm »

Wow what a fantastic piece of work, I am impressed as some of my builds have been on going for years. The quickest was about 6 months. Cheers, Graham  ;D

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 08:12:31 pm »

Thanks though I must say that I was drug induced
ITS OK,
THE DRUGS I take are on perscription and one of the side effects are NO sleep and I mean NO SLEEP just ask capt jack ;D
has some advantages but when I change pills the proverbial atom bomb wont wake me ask the second engineer. 8)

capt jack has the venture on test this leave and as my phone went swimming I've not had any contact to say if all is well, Got home on Saturday morning and now have new phone (old number) so I wait :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.