Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Woman Captain (RN)  (Read 1350 times)

joppyuk

First Woman Captain (RN)
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »

Slightly misleading title, but I was trying to be succinct. Was waiting for the wife in the library reading room today, reading the Sun (all the good stuff was taken) and came across a small piece, the gist of which is - Lt.Cmdr Sarah West has been appointed captain of the Type 23 Frigate HMS Portland. According to the paper she is the first woman to be appointed captain to an RN frontline warship, though she has captained various auxhilliaries before.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: First Woman Captain (RN)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »

Any relation at Admiral West I wonder?

pugwash

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:55 pm »

Unusual to have a 2 1/2 ringer in charge of a frigate unless (a) it is in refit or (b) she is due to be promoted to commander
but that would make her a very junior commander to get a major warship command - Best of luck to her.
Geoff

Just checked the web - she is due to be promoted January 2012

mikearace

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »

I would hazard a guess from my previous drafting knowledge (although officers arent drafted as we know they are appointed following an appointment interview with their personal appointing officer in whitehall) the appointment follows selection for the third ring being given.  This usually was the case that upon any promotion to the next ring a suitable appointment was given in advance of the promotion.  So at a guess I would say she is already selected for Cdr and her apppointment is as a result of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.