Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174336 times)

ukmike

Aquarama Build
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

Just started to assemble this Amati Riva Aquarama. It's the first time I have built a model boat so I expect there will be mistakes along the way.

I decided to go with brushless motors as I have used these in some of my model aircraft in the past as they have immense power for there size and weight.
Decided on a pair of Turnigey 540L inrunners with water jackets and 2  70amp esc's, watercooled with reverse.
The power is going to be 2x 2cell LiPo's  30C  5500 mah.
What attracted me to the 540L was the fact that they have internal cooling fans, which must add to the cooling.
May also add a fan assisted extraction system to the engine bay as this appears to be a close compartment.

Anyway chaps and chapesses here are some picts to look at and by the way please chip in with any suggestions and help and if you see that I am making monumental errors
please let me know as I'm sure there will be some.

Mike.

ukmike

Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:30 pm »

Will have to reduce the resolution on my camera as it's not possible to post more than a couple of photos per post.

Sorry.
Mike

Timo2

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

Hi mike

Ref Motor   Look good lots of power not over revving  :-)  but i think it;s a 3cell pack supply  ok2

Try Photo Re-sizer :-       VSO Image Resizer

Timo2

ukmike

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »

Hi Timo.
You are correct, the batteries that I have ordered are indeed 3 cell, my mistake.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

ukmike

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:51 pm »

A few more photos, thanks to Timo.

MikeA

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:40:23 pm »

this is going tio be a nice boat. I noticed the picture of the cooling jacket if you use this in conjunction with the fans inside the motors you wont need to but an extracter fan in the engine compartment. plus you can run the cooling to the esc's. advatage with water cooling is its needs no motors to operate so no additional loads on batteries. And a fan is just a way another way of getting water inside your boat.

ukmike

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 04:44:46 pm »

Did a little more on the boat yesterday, mostly bow and transom sections.
The majority of the build has been with super glue and activator, the good quality ply seems to quite like it.
Just a couple more photos showing this.
The laser cutting of the ply and hardwood is quite superb

Mike

ukmike

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:05:30 pm »

Did a little bit more to the model today, started to add the mahogany fwd cabin sides and the cockpit sides.
Am starting to get a little concerned about the amount of space available to hide the electrics. Don't have the motors, esc's or batteries yet
so maybe save the worrying for later.
The parts fit of the the kit is really quite good providing all of the frames are installed perfectly square and upright. Will have to make my own rudders
and posts as the commercially available ones are totally the wrong shape but that should be quite an easy job.
Anyway here are a few more photos of the build so far.

Mike

ukmike

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:49 pm »

More pics.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 04:00:59 pm »

One comment Mike, have you tested the strength of one of the joints yet? I only say that as the burnt ash edges
produced by the laser cutting surface? On my Bismarck ( half build  <:( )  didn't take the glue too well I would
suggest you go round all joints again with a tick superglue to 'fillet' all the joints for extra strength.

What do other Mayhemers think?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CF-FZG

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:32:03 pm »

Ref Motor   Look good lots of power not over revving  :-) 

35,000rpm is not over-revving %)  a tad overpowered maybe ok2

The 'Amati' power pack is two geared 540 motors, both running from a 15A esc - around 120 watts.  

Your BL setup is capable of nearly 1.5 kilowatts - that's why I think it's a 'tad' overpowered

Look at what prop rpm you'd get from that setup, and go for something similar (or slightly quicker) in a brushless setup.

What do other Mayhemers think?

Martin, I think there's 2 extremes of 'how to treat laser-cut edges' - first the school that just sticks them together, and the second that insists on sanding away all the edge until they're down to bare wood.  I've found, (along with many others that have been using laser-cut kits for several years to build aeroplanes), that you only need to 'take the burnt bits off before glueing. 
On balsa the edges should be a light brown - can be glued straight away.
Plywood, (lite and regular), should only need a light rub with 180 grit paper to get a glueable surface.
Thick plywood - the only wood you should see a black 'burnt' edge on due to needing the higher power to cut through the wood, (on thin ply or balsa, black 'burnt' edges indicate sloppy setup of the laser), and can require a 'good' sanding to get down to good wood, but be careful as you can take too much off the edge and end up with a sloppy fitting joint.

Mark.

Timo2

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »

Hi All

CF-FZG

Ref  Motor 540L   810 Kv on 3s / 11v Lipo    =    Max  8910  RPM       Not   35,000 rpm

Timo2

P.S. High torque inrunner, excellent for running propellers without needing a gearbox

ukmike

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »

Thanks for the advice Martin but not to worry, all the burned carbon sanded away b4 glueing.
Also, any advice re the prop sizes would be appriciated, abouth 8500 revs I think.
Timo2 you are correct.

Mike

CF-FZG

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 05:33:22 pm »

Ref  Motor 540L   810 Kv on 3s / 11v Lipo    =    Max  8910  RPM       Not   35,000 rpm

You're correct, sorry my mistake :embarrassed: 

I couldn't find the motor at first so went with the link from the photo which gave me a 2800kv motor.

ukmike

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »

CF-FZG.

No, it's a 810kv motor.

Turnigy 540L.

Mike.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:16:57 pm »

Is this the same kit as in the Model Boat, September 2011?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

CF-FZG

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »

Is this the same kit as in the Model Boat, September 2011?

Just reading that article myself - and yes I think it is, interesting conversion :-))

I have one gripe with the review so far - he says he used the Graupner Jetdrive 6 and a JP brushless motor....  arghhhh - which one, (and that Jetdrive isn't listed on the suppliers website either)

Mark

ukmike

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 12:54:15 pm »

Hello.
I have reached an impass with the build and really need some help / advice.

The problem is this, the cockpit floor and footwells  and bulkheads are supposed to be covered in a sort of vinyl / rubber material that is supplied in the kit.
I saw a build thread on R.C Groups of this kit and the builder had severe probs with gluing this stuff, enclosed picts tell all.
At first glance I thought that the builder should have taken more care with the gluing, but non of it , this stuff is un glueable, absolute rubbish.

My question is this, what else could I use for the job ? Am considering mahogany/lime planked panels or maybe grating for the floor.
All suggestions wellcome.

Mike

MikeA

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 01:49:52 pm »

i have vinyl in my boat. i stuck it down with CA glue. sticks fine.

ukmike

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:37 pm »

Mad Mike.

Tried that, just peels off, no good for this stuff.
Feels almost greasy, daren't try to clean it with a solvent tho' in case it melts, mind you, not going to use it so may as well give it a go.

Useful suggestions most welcome.

Mike

MikeA

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:05:21 pm »

spray glue? double sided tape? keep the vinyl it nice  :-))

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »

PVA? Hot glue?

UHU por - used as a contact glue?
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

ukmike

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 10:43:15 am »

Electrics arrived this morning from HobbyKing. No duty to pay which was good.

Unfortunately, no programming instructions for the ESC's. Will do a search on the net for some.
Motors are of excellent quality and the water jackets are a good fit, all in all I am well pleased.

Re the rubbery stuff in the kit which has defied all attempts to glue it. I have solved the problem.
Have ordered some faulx leather which has a fabric backing and according to the supplier is eminently glueable.

Some more photos.
Mike

nick_75au

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 12:19:02 am »

I would like to know how those ESC's work out, I was recommended not to get them as members in a local club haven't had much luck with them. I've got a pre built Riva Corsero I'm putting a 500 Kv outrunner on 6 cell Li-po.

Cheers
Nick

ukmike

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »

Hi Nick.
The problem that people seem to be having with these ESC's is that they don't have the correct programming info.
The link to the info on HK forum is not the full programmimg info, if indeed the correct info.

I have what I believe is the correct info, but as it will be quite a while until I get to the electrics stage I don't know for sure.
Although, the spec listed for this particular controller on the HK website does seem to agree with what I have, particularly the reverse feature.

Mike.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.