Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174393 times)

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:38 pm »

check out reply #43 - the man's a proper modeller, he made them himself.

And I for one, am very impressed - please work faster, I'm enjoying this thread!

ukmike

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »

Chris.

The P brackets ( prop supports ) are home made, unfortunately not ready made.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 06:41:10 pm »

Grasshopper.

Wish I could do more work more a Little quickly.

I have problems at home to deal with which take up an awful lot of my time, what with having to earn some money to pay bills etc, it is blessed respite
to be able to retire to my shed for a little escape. this allows me to do some work on the model.

I know little about model boat building but am overwhelmed by the advice offered by you modelers out there.

Thank you all for the support so far.

Mike

craftysod

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »

As Mike has said,he made them,and a superb job,he has done.
Yes you do need them,if the propshaft extends an amount from the hull,it will stop the shaft vibrating,
I have them on my Rivarama
HTH
Mark

MikeA

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »

when this model is finished it will be of the highest quality. I made my boat with vinyl and cushioned seats, not to this kind of standard but i found that water finds its way easily into the seating bay. It fills up here first then dips and leaks threw into the hull, my boat came back with 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. If this is intended as static display i would seriously consider fitting a bernoulli syphon autobailer before you seal all access and put finishing to the hull. Also make sure the wood is pretected from the elements from the inside to as all the wells and cavities will get water in them.

ukmike

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2011, 09:15:36 pm »

She has a bottom, not a very pretty bottom, but a bottom non the less.

Some of the Lime Wood, "Planks", are a little thinner than the others which is not a major problem but means need a little more sanding will be needed to even out the base for the final Mahogany skin.

Mike, took your advice and made a new pair of rudders, a little larger than the first pair and also more scale shape. The photo shows the difference.

Have a couple of weeks leave from work now so maybe get a little more done.

The planking is a challenge I must admit, but the accuracy of the Limewood layer is most important as it sets the standard of the final Mahogany skin.

Mike 

MikeA

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 10:49:43 pm »

have you had props and motors running yet?

ukmike

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 09:31:51 am »

Mike.

Only received the radio Friday. Hitec Optic 6 2.4GHz and I am still waiting for some silicone cable and connectors so haven't been able to try any of the electrics.

Did get a cracking charger from Giant Cod tho' so have been able to fiddle about with that as I have the batteries.

I did make a mistake when ordering the original pair of Li-Po's, must have mis read the dimensions as they were far to big to fit in the boat.

Sold them on the Bay and was able to get all back that I paid for them.

Have now got a pair of Zippy 3 cell 3000Mah that will fit a treat. They came with the connectors already fitted so those are the ones I am waiting for, can't get them locally.

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 10:42:32 am »

what boat you got next on the drawing board?

dondecap

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:48 pm »

hi mate.
nice build there.......... will look great on the water..:)
batteries........why don't they supply the connector's mate when fitting connectors on batteries? especially when a different one like this...

regards
don

ukmike

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

what boat you got next on the drawing board?

Mike.
I would really like to build the Riva Tritone twin screw version but can't find any plans.
Don't think there are any kits available, just the ready made ones from Korea or Vietnam which I don't want.

I know that Chris Craft made wooden runabouts and also a German or maybe a Swiss company but none are as beautiful as the Riva.

If you know anyone supplying plans for the Tritone please let me know.

Mike

ukmike

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

hi mate.
nice build there.......... will look great on the water..:)
batteries........why don't they supply the connector's mate when fitting connectors on batteries? especially when a different one like this...

regards
don

Dondecap.
The connectors are readily available on the Bay but not locally to me. Have some comming tomorrow so will be able to try the electrics then maybe.

Mike.

gwa84

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2011, 08:19:27 pm »

hi ive just converted my stuff to thease conectors be cerfull when soldering them get the heat on and solder quickly and put a heat shunt on the conector ive had quite a few melt and move the metel bullets inside them  :-))

MikeA

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

Mike.
I would really like to build the Riva Tritone twin screw version but can't find any plans.
Don't think there are any kits available, just the ready made ones from Korea or Vietnam which I don't want.

I know that Chris Craft made wooden runabouts and also a German or maybe a Swiss company but none are as beautiful as the Riva.

If you know anyone supplying plans for the Tritone please let me know.

Mike

look at this link you might find it interesting:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352683

ukmike

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:19 pm »

Hello All.
Thanks to Sharkey1 on RC Groups I have discovered Pool Noodle.
Silly name but is perfect for model boats.
Never heard of it until I did a Google search and it turned out to be the flotation stuff used in swimming pools.
I think that it has been banned from public pools but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, have got some and it is absolutely lovely for making sanding blocks, especially for compound curves on model boats.
Suppose you all know about Pool Noodle but is a revelation to me.
A couple of photos of it. You can make all sorts sanding blocks with it and also use it for buoyancy.

Mike

ukmike

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

Have done a little more to the model recently, a little more stripwood fitted and opened up a little space for the Li-Po's.

Made the rudder tubes and decided to add a flange, unfortunately had to soft solder the flange in place due to the angle required, much preferred silver solder but would have had to make a jig,

far easier to use soft solder this time.

Also, made the Docking Light housings using sticky backed chrome tape, far better than umpteen coats of silver paint.

Having a rethink on the motor controllers, will keep you posted when I have decided which way I am going to go.

The battery location is courtesy of Sharkey on RC Groups, many thanks.

A couple of photos on the progress.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2011, 04:16:34 pm »

A couple more photos.

Mike.

Gravman

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:43 pm »

Mike you are doing a great job.  The brass work is very well done.  I wanted to ask if you still had any of that leather left?  I would like to have some for my own Riva kit.  Just let me know how to get the funds to you.

Thanks

John

ukmike

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »

Mike you are doing a great job.  The brass work is very well done.  I wanted to ask if you still had any of that leather left?  I would like to have some for my own Riva kit.  Just let me know how to get the funds to you.

Thanks

John
Hi John.

Just tell me how much you need and I'll send it to you. Length x width please ? I have a piece approx 1.00m x 1.20m left but don't take it all unless it's a full size Riva that you are building  :-)

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2011, 06:23:56 pm »

As a break from the planking decided to complete the work on the steering gear.

Threaded the rudder shafts 4mm and made up the bellcrank out of an old servo arm.

The other two tillers are the same. Made the push rods from 2mm carbon fibre with my favourite connectors, ball joints.

Possibly have to make a couple of spacer collets to hold the rudders at the correct height.

A question for you, do the rudders need a little toe in as they are not fully balanced ?

I remember in the past, many years ago, we used to toe in the outboard motors when using twins.

A couple of photos.

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

i had a go making my own rudder. i used my soldering iron. it came out ok ish, needed a lot of filing though. Your rudders are a great definition of ingenuity and resourcefulness.

Gravman

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 11:48:00 pm »

Hi John.

Just tell me how much you need and I'll send it to you. Length x width please ? I have a piece approx 1.00m x 1.20m left but don't take it all unless it's a full size Riva that you are building  :-)

Mike.

How about 30cm x 30cm?

If you have a PayPal account I would be happy to pay.

John Wright

**************** Address removed

USA

It's never a good idea to advertise your Home address on an open forum.

To contact this member, please use the forum mail system

*** Moderator ***

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2011, 07:01:49 am »

Hullo Mike....you mention rudder allignment  %)

I am not sure if it is an optical illusion in PICT0010....but the L shaped servo horn rudder connection appears to be of shorter throw between the connection axis on the link arm pivot as compared to the longer throw in the I shaped horn rudder connection

;D...if this the case the rudder with the I horn connection will rotate a greater amount relative to the actual servo rotary movement

:-)) ....again if this is the case you could reposition the link arm pivot point one step for a shorter throw on the   I shaped horn rudder connection

Keep us posted with your progress...very interesting  O0...I have never seen a lazer cut assembly build........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ukmike

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:07 am »

Hullo Mike....you mention rudder allignment  %)

I am not sure if it is an optical illusion in PICT0010....but the L shaped servo horn rudder connection appears to be of shorter throw between the connection axis on the link arm pivot as compared to the longer throw in the I shaped horn rudder connection

;D...if this the case the rudder with the I horn connection will rotate a greater amount relative to the actual servo rotary movement

:-)) ....again if this is the case you could reposition the link arm pivot point one step for a shorter throw on the   I shaped horn rudder connection

Keep us posted with your progress...very interesting  O0...I have never seen a lazer cut assembly build........Derek

Derek.
The steering assy. in the picture  is just a rough mock up, not permanently set yet. just roughly assembled for trial fit purposes.

Any final adjusting will be done on completion of course, but thanks for pointing that out.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2011, 08:18:03 am »

Hi John.

Will send today via Airmail, should be with you in about a week.

Have sent a little more than you need, just in case of mistakes  :-))

The best adhesive to use is the contact type, works really well on this material.

Don't worry about payment, have this with my compliments.

Mike.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.