Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174329 times)

ukmike

Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:13 am »

Everyone, I would like your opinions.

After reading Norseman Dave's post, (thanks Dave), I have made an alternative back to the rear cockpit seating.

It's Dave'sfill in cushion idea, made with a piece of coaming offcut that I had.

Please give me our opinions as to which is the best one, the full backrest or this one? I can modify the stitching pattern if needed.

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:05 pm »

full backrest, bit of lumber support would go a long way in a fast boat :-))

aslo44

« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2011, 12:54:33 pm »

Hi Mike, brilliant build really looks the job. I think in my opinion the fillet looks slightly better fit than the full backrest
for example at the corners and along the bottom where the two cushions meet. Having said that tho they both look great
Regards Alan

gwa84

« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

i must say i doo like the inset backrest better looks cleener  :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »

Hi - I like the insert because it gives more a sense of added depth  O0
having said that, the full seat was ever so good anyway  :}

Dave

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2011, 09:25:11 pm »

Both options look good.

Seeing the consensus is evenly divided, will tip it in favour of full backrest.

That is what you would expect to sit on and also makes the model complete. :-)) :-)) :-))

MikeA

« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:08 am »

you need to start a poll mike

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »

Nah, just take a rest  {-)

ukmike

« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »

Better fitting end panels for the rear seat base, not at all happy with the big gaps between the removeable and fixed parts so this is better I believe.

The front seats are the next job, the photo shows the supplied seats,(which will be replaced), and bases, far too high I think, not so much in the Cockpit as higher than it.

Will chop some off the seat pedestals to bring them lower, the photo shows a temp mock up of the level that I think is about right.

What say you ?

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2011, 02:09:17 pm »

very nice, have you got any pics of the hole boat as it is atm?

ukmike

« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »

very nice, have you got any pics of the hole boat as it is atm?
Hi Mike.

I haven't but if you tell me what you would like to see then I'll post some.

MikeA

« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2011, 02:18:03 pm »

just a couple of distance shots to get some perspective of the whole model. another thing ive been scanning through your pics of you cooling box seat thingy, where does the ingress of water go to?? from what i can gather the fans lay flat on a 30 degree angle correct? do they suck air in to the boat or blow it out?

ukmike

« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2011, 04:19:19 pm »

Hi Mike.

The fans in the rear seat base are constantly blowing air out at an alarming rate, as are the ESC fans, the air intake is from the rear panel scoops, ( how technical is that ? ), is directed toward the front of the,(engine room),

which should, given the pressure, keep everything pleasantly warm.

My addition to the model of the substantial spray rails to the hull will hopefully not allow any water into the boat, having said that, my two grandsons,(hooligans), might do the impossible and flood the boat.

My son will have to deal with this, I'm far too old and tired to deal with it.

Some photos of the build so far.

The other Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »

excellent pics thanks. i cant see the intake vents on the boat, but leave that for now im sure youl show them when its finished. I like the lengths you have gone to for heat issues, i dont think you will have that much heat really. In fact judging by the motor size to the prop size it wont be even warm lol,better be safe than sorry though. im very impressed even if it is a mega overkill cooling system.

you will be taking it out yourself before you pass it on to your grandsons? I hope they dont reck the boat, it would a terrible shame. I know what my kids are like (2, 3, 6 and 11) and they sometimes get a bit silly, beleive it or not though my youngest son is actually the most careful of them all and possibly the most careful kid ive ever met. I let him sail my slower boats when we go to the lake while other ruff'ns are at school.

ukmike

« Reply #264 on: January 01, 2012, 02:14:15 pm »

Happy New Year all.

I hope all goes well for you and yours in this comming, uncertain year.

Have made a little more of the deck upholstery, made the 3 pieces that form the cockpit surround, the next will be the Sundeck cushions which will need to be removeable may add the contrasting colour to some parts.

That will only leave the front seats which I've been putting off starting. Not looking forward to that job at all.

Here are some pictures of the 3 new pieces and then  a couple showing everything roughly taped in place.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »

Hello All.

You may remember earlier in this build I said that the contrasting colour for the upholstery would be Coffee, well it definitely isn't.

I made the two Sundeck cushions this morning using the Coffee material and when put in place they looked really, really awful, couldn't bin them quick enough.

Have a look at the picture, I'm sure you'll agree.

So, all Cream it is then. To this end I made all new cushions and added a little twist that I think looks good. What do you think ?

A couple of photos of the finished Sundeck, nothing fixed yet of course.

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »

getting there  :-))

F1 madness

« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »

Hats of to you bud youve done an awesome job of this,looks great
hope to see some vids of it running once completed :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2012, 12:41:23 am »

Hi - yep I have to agree it looks great and there's no need to do more.

Just out of interest though, did you consider the centre section in coffee?
or think maybe about just coffee piping?

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:50 pm »

Hi - yep I have to agree it looks great and there's no need to do more.

Just out of interest though, did you consider the centre section in coffee?
or think maybe about just coffee piping?

Dave
Hi Dave.

I did try a centre section using the Coffee colour but it didn't look good at all, I think it's because the decking is brown also.

Contrasting piping would be the perfect way to go but that is way beyond my skill. I struggled to sew in straight lines.

The two front seats are going to be a monumental challenge for me which I have to admit I do keep putting off.

I keep looking for other little jobs that need doing instead. If I don't think about them maybe they will go away, doubt it tho'

Mike.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:50 pm »

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your progress so far, very impressive!

The Raboesch props are good for slow moving scale applications, for a speedboat the blades are way too dull, which will reduce the performance considerably (to put it mildly; actually, it could drive up the powerconsumption to the point where both motors and ESC's get uncomfortably hot and the thermal circuitry will kick in... Also the speed reached won't be what you'd expect from a Riva.)

Tuning the blades by making them more aerofoil shaped, will make a big difference in performance.

I realize this is a lot of work, specially as the props will need balancing after the blades have been shaped.
An alternative would be to use carbon props from the Graupner K-series for running the boat and keep the brass ones for display.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2012, 11:49:01 pm »

K-series for running the boat and keep the brass ones for display

If the K ones are better then that's really a neat little trick Jan, I think that brass props do look ever so nice.

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2012, 12:26:00 am »

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your progress so far, very impressive!

The Raboesch props are good for slow moving scale applications, for a speedboat the blades are way too dull, which will reduce the performance considerably (to put it mildly; actually, it could drive up the powerconsumption to the point where both motors and ESC's get uncomfortably hot and the thermal circuitry will kick in... Also the speed reached won't be what you'd expect from a Riva.)

Tuning the blades by making them more aerofoil shaped, will make a big difference in performance.

I realize this is a lot of work, specially as the props will need balancing after the blades have been shaped.
An alternative would be to use carbon props from the Graupner K-series for running the boat and keep the brass ones for display.

Regards, Jan.

Hi Jan.

Thanks for the info but I thought that the K series were surface piercing hydro type that need to be turned at high revs, not submerged run at relatively low revs and at not very efficient angles.

I have little knowledge of model boat props but would 3 blades be better in this particular model configuration ? Any advise will be most welcome

Mike.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

Hi Mike,

The K-series are Hydroprops indeed, but they can be 'abused' for subsurface drive, no problem.

In fact, you can use any prop that has a suitable blade shape, on my M.A.S. model I (tank) tested with the Graupner X-props, which are designed for subsurface use and won't turn much more than 8000 - 10.000 rpm in my set-up.
I'm aiming for 18 - 20 mph.

These props are the Graupner 455.x series:
http://www.graupner.de/de/products/1be70983-07b5-4873-80ae-f2ebea0d8f72/455.2/product.aspx
The come in different sizes and either M4, or M5 threaded inserts.

Greatest benefit over the brass 'clubs' is the fact the blades are shaped correctly and will deliver propulsion in stead of foam (and high ampdraw).

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

ukmike

« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:03 am »

Hi Mike,

The K-series are Hydroprops indeed, but they can be 'abused' for subsurface drive, no problem.

In fact, you can use any prop that has a suitable blade shape, on my M.A.S. model I (tank) tested with the Graupner X-props, which are designed for subsurface use and won't turn much more than 8000 - 10.000 rpm in my set-up.
I'm aiming for 18 - 20 mph.

These props are the Graupner 455.x series:
http://www.graupner.de/de/products/1be70983-07b5-4873-80ae-f2ebea0d8f72/455.2/product.aspx
The come in different sizes and either M4, or M5 threaded inserts.

Greatest benefit over the brass 'clubs' is the fact the blades are shaped correctly and will deliver propulsion in stead of foam (and high ampdraw).

Regards, Jan.

Thanks for that Jan, much appreciated.

What are your thoughts on 3 blade designs ?

Mike.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 23 queries.