Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174349 times)

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:53 am »

Hi Mike,

If you prefer three blade props, make sure they have the correct blade shape.

Once the boat is ready for sea trials, getting a handfull of plastic props in different sizes and making a number of testruns would be the easiest and cheapest way to figure out what's the best solution in terms of motor temperature, speed and runtime.

Once you've established that, either get the 'best' prop in brass or steel, or run plastic props and use the 'pretty ones' for display purposes.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

ukmike

« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »

Had to bite the bullet and start work on the two front seats having put it off for long enough.

Bought 3 cork sanding blocks, ( 3 bloc de ponçage en liège, Charles ) for 49p each, guessing that if they turned out to be no good for the job I wouldn't have wasted too much money.

Have just about completed the drivers seat ready for covering and roughed out the basic blocks for the double passenger seat.

The cork has proven to be perfect for the job and at little cost, just hope that I can make a good job of sewing the vinyl covering.

Mike.

papymouzot

« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:26 am »

Very nice job Mike !!!!   :-))

Dor you plan to rebuild the front seat mahogany backrests too ???

Could i ask you what are the characteristics of your batteries ?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:09 pm »

Very nice shaping - does cork carve well / sand easy / any problems working with it?
I hadn't considered doing anything with cork before (except for the vino when there's no corkscrew <:()

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »

Very nice shaping - does cork carve well / sand easy / any problems working with it?
I hadn't considered doing anything with cork before (except for the vino when there's no corkscrew <:()

Dave
Hi Dave.

I cut it to an outline with a band saw and then shaped it with my home made sanding table.

Finished it off with some 400 grit paper by hand, very easy to work with, I was surprised, but does make lots of very fine powdery dust when sanding.

At £1.50 for the 3 blocks, has to be high on the list of stuff to use.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #280 on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »

Started to make and fit the seat covering which is going not too badly so far.

Took the opportunity to reduce the the overall height of the seats as those supplied in the kit are too high, they stand way above the cockpit sides and look quite silly, (my personal opinion).

I will also have to reduce the height of the seat bases a little to achieve the correct height, this will be quite easy tho'.

A couple of pictures showing the progress so far, also the material marked out for the cushion stitching.

Mike.

NigelW

« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:26 am »

It has to be said Mike, there are some stunning builds on this forum and yours is up there with the best of them. Inspiration to the rest of us mere mortals! I'd love to know where you find the time! Keep the pictures coming.

On the props front, I'm no expert but have you considered prop shop? They're not cheap but they seem to have a prop for every possible application. I actually used George Sitek for my Dutch Courage as they look good and were good value but I think for your application they're worthy of spending the extra for best performance combined with scale appearance..

Nigel

MikeA

« Reply #282 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »

awesome skills you got there mike!!

ukmike

« Reply #283 on: February 01, 2012, 07:05:11 pm »

Almost finished the seats , just the double passenger one to complete. Cleaning up of excess contact adhesive to be done now.

Making seats is a job that I wouldn't like to take on again. I hated the blue/white upholstery supplied in the kit, not only because of the colour, but the majority of the pieces were a really poor fit.

The pictures show the sequence, ( not necessarily in order ) and the final seat along side the Amati one. My seat is the one on the left.

I think that the supplied seat in the kit is better than mine but this is a one off so hopefully I will not have to do it again.

I like the Amati seat, but I also like my seat, which is best ? Only one way to find out, FIGHT !!!!

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:40 pm »

Will post some pics of the other seat tomorrow

MikeA

« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »

from the pictures i think your seat is as good as the amati one. there are lot of threads on all kinds of boat construction but i think this is the only thread on soft furnashings. If thats the correct word.

ukmike

« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:07 pm »

from the pictures i think your seat is as good as the Amati one. there are lot of threads on all kinds of boat construction but i think this is the only thread on soft furnashings. If thats the correct word.

Thanks for that Mike.

Let me know if you if you need a new settee or maybe a set of curtains. :-) :-)

MikeA

« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:56 pm »

did you ever make that radio to go in your model?

ukmike

« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »

did you ever make that radio to go in your model?

Decided against it Mike, had to draw the line somewhere, after all, when the model is finally finished and proved on the water it will be passed to my 2 Grandsons.

It's my first foray into model boat building, after having to give up my RC aircraft due to failing eyesight but I have a boat project for myself waiting following this one.

Were it mine, then I would have tried to do more scale finishing, but it was always intended for the boys, (hooligans). 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2012, 08:16:18 pm »

Let me know if you if you need a new settee or maybe a set of curtains. :-) :-)

I would like a sofa like Mike, if you could just run me one up  {-)

Re chair - the Amati in the photo looks a little bit ill fitting at the bottom on each side
whereas yours is quite crisp.

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #290 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »

I would like a sofa like Mike, if you could just run me one up  {-)

Re chair - the Amati in the photo looks a little bit ill fitting at the bottom on each side
whereas yours is quite crisp.

Dave

Can't help there Dave.

The last one I made went like a pig even after fitting a 200 Evinrude.

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »

It has to be said Mike, there are some stunning builds on this forum and yours is up there with the best of them. Inspiration to the rest of us mere mortals! I'd love to know where you find the time! Keep the pictures coming.

On the props front, I'm no expert but have you considered prop shop? They're not cheap but they seem to have a prop for every possible application. I actually used George Sitek for my Dutch Courage as they look good and were good value but I think for your application they're worthy of spending the extra for best performance combined with scale appearance..

Nigel
[/quote
]
Thanks for the kind comments Nigel.

I think my efforts pale into insignificance compared with some of the beautiful scratch builds on this site. that is true skill.

Will give PropShop a look tho', thanks.

Mike.

MikeA

« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2012, 08:33:36 pm »

if this model is a rough one for "hooligans" as you yourself have said then what will a good one look like lol.

ukmike

« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2012, 08:06:28 pm »

A picture of the near completed seats as promised, they are not too bad but as my schoolreport often said, "could have done better".

I need to fit the fold away seat back trays, the smaller of the Mahogany profiles together with the grated bases, varnishing in progress.

I am also going to add to the lower back of the seats an elasticated mesh for keeping newspapers / magazines etc. with Mahogany surrounds.

They are the larger of the 2, not yet cut to size. Have included a picture of a car example to show what I mean.

The elastic netting will be made from a pair of Fish Net tights from Wilco, unfortunately the assistant wouldn't  model them for me but for 2 quid what do you expect.

Mike.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:37 pm »

they are not too bad but as my schoolreport often said, "could have done better".

unfortunately the assistant wouldn't  model them for me but for 2 quid what do you expect.

Re quality Mike - you need to stop being so modest -this is all gorgeous work and the upholstery is amazing.
I'm learning a lot from you and getting ideas too.

Re assistant - it might have helped a lot if it had been a female assistant  O0 {-)

Dave

MikeA

« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:48 pm »

considering it wasnt long ago you bought the sewing machine and didnt know where to start. You have just made furnature which in my oppinion is an incredible achiement, give yourself a pat on the back.

ukmike

« Reply #296 on: February 06, 2012, 05:06:31 pm »

Seats just about complete now, there's a little damage to the lower back left side that needs fixing, (superglued my finger to it !!).

Have made the netting and frame for the drivers seat but I'm not happy with the way it looks so probably won't fit it. The passenger seat netting frame needs the cut ends finishing and varnishing.

Also, a couple of pictures of the cockpit with the seats laid in place, can't decide which rear seat back to use but it's not particularly important yet.

Just noticed that I have bent the Aquarama nameplate on the dash, luckily I have a spare, best leave fitting it until the boat is finished I think.

Some photos although nothing is yet fitted, just laid in place for the pictures.

Mike.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: February 06, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »

What a smashing pair of details - both winners for my money.
............... and I am said to be very tight  O0

Dave

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »

Mike,

Now that the upholstery is in position, it looks to me that the "cabin Lining" is missing a "pleat" (stitching) in the back corner, which is accentuated by the rear seat which ever seat back option, you choose.

Or is it an optical illusion, camera shot??

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:48 am »

The back seat looks fine - I think it is the pleating on the combing (coaming?) that is out of alignment by one pleat.
I hadn't noticed it until you set me looking for what you meant.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.