Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aquarama Build  (Read 174326 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aquarama Build
« Reply #400 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:00 pm »

Hi Mike,

Nearly jumped out of your hand.    {-)    Looks to have a bit of power there.

Well done.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: June 05, 2012, 10:33:08 pm »

You're going to need a bigger bath O0

Dave

ukmike

« Reply #402 on: June 08, 2012, 05:05:48 pm »

Hello All.

My next post will be the last in this build log.
I am at the moment working on the Windscreen fitment, which,  I have to admit, is proving to be the most difficult so far.
Once completed, I will post some pictures, or maybe a video of the final build. The run on a pond I will post here with a link to Youtube.

The Amati kit is good, especially if anyone builds it using the part as supplied.
Whilst the manual covers most of the construction not everything is covered, unfortunately.

In my opinion, this is a kit for the more advanced builder, as Amati suggest, me being no exception to this as it is my first model boat build.
I have enjoyed every trial and tribulation with the build in this past year, but will never attempt something similar again.

My Vaporetto build is possibly the exact opposite of this, which was as the full size a masterpiece of wooden boatbuilding.

I will enjoy the dents, rust, dodgy paintwork and the general scruffiness of an overworked passenger vessel.
Paint runs or sags will be the norm along with verdigris and waterline slime.

Mike. 

ukmike

« Reply #403 on: June 08, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »

Well, here it is, 1 year later and almost complete, some stuff held in place for photo purposes.

All will be done tomorrow.

Will not bother with a video of the finished boat but will still do movie of the first run in the local pond.

Some pictures, see what you think.

Mike.

papymouzot

• Shipmate
« Reply #404 on: June 08, 2012, 08:07:31 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Mike,

My English isn't good enough to express my views about your so successful build, it is superb, magnificent, exceptional.... !!!!!!!!!!

The build is superb, and the finishing is incredibly good, superb.... MAGNIFIQUE !!!!!!!!!!

It is definitely the most beautiful Riva model I ever saw...

Congratulations, it meant a lot of efforts, thinking, time, sweat... but you can be really proud of you....

I hope you will have a short rest, I can't wait to see the next (second) build... The Vaporetto.. How on earth will you manage to make a better build ? I am curious !!  ok2

Charles

turbinecol

• Shipmate
« Reply #405 on: June 08, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »

Yes, certainly the best build-up we've seen on the web of this kit. It looks simply marvellous.

The kit is hard work, but you've clearly demonstrated what can be achieved with a bit of patience sir.

Congrats and enjoy the next build.

Colin

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #406 on: June 09, 2012, 01:34:37 am »

very very nice mike, you have done it justice, well done :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:51 am »

I hope you are pleased with yourself young man!... Im sure there are many Riva model owners now putting theirs into cupboards so as not to be judged against yours
Simply a fantastic build and write up :) well done

Mods can we have this thread made a sticky somewhere? maybe in masterclass?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ukmike

« Reply #408 on: June 11, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »

To Charles, Dave, Colin and Gary.

Many thanks for your very kind comments and for following the build for about a year now.

I'm quite new to model boat building, even though the years have passed rather too quickly for me, I have really enjoyed building this boat.

The big handover day is going to be Saturday the 23rd June, when my Son / Daughter in Law and the 2 boys are comming to see us.

Have told Andrew, ( my boy ) that I don't want to hear about it once they get it home.

Once again my thanks to you all.

Watch this space though, the next build is looming. :-)) :-)) :-))

Mike.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #409 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »

when are you going to take it for its maiden voyage?

ukmike

« Reply #410 on: June 11, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »

when are you going to take it for its maiden voyage?

Hi Mike.

Sorry that I have omitted to thank you personally for your input into my build. We have exchanged friendly banter now and again, I very much enjoyed it.

Would like it to be this weekend, weather permitting of course, but unfortunately, someone has run around my car with a key or screwdriver so I have to take it in for repairs.

The only other transport that I have is my wife's little tiny Smart Car, maybe that will do.

Although I don't have a video camera I will use the digi camera that I have used for the build posts.

All that I am concerned about is the lack of water shipped over the sides.

An awful lot of these models tend to run very nose heavy and as a subsequence take in far too much water.

Will definitely let you all know.

Mike.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #411 on: June 11, 2012, 07:29:16 pm »

i wasnt after any credit fella but thanks none the less :-))

when it comes to getting to the lake, i take my boats 3 miles accross town on pram using public transport and me legs, so the use of smart car is a luxury  :}

does the camera you use have a video function? they usually do when you go into modes.

yes these open models do tend to let water in but with your boat being on the large side it might not be too much of a problem, if you have to add a bailer to it.

F1 madness

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »

Mike you done a great job on the build looks stunning
Defo 1 of the nicest aquarama build iv ever seen and the attention to detail is awesome
 :-))

ukmike

« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2012, 02:56:38 pm »

Mike you done a great job on the build looks stunning
Defo 1 of the nicest aquarama build iv ever seen and the attention to detail is awesome

Thanks Daz.

Praise indeed from somone who knows  how to achieve perfection.

Hoped to run the boat today, (Sat), having remembered to threadlock the props onto the shafts, but it's blowing a gale here and raining.

Maybe tomorrow, hopefully !!

Mike.

ukmike

« Reply #414 on: June 19, 2012, 09:09:05 pm »

Hello.

Ran the boat in our local pond this evening, other than a quick test in the bath this was its first time for real.
Unfortunately there was no one there to work my camera for me. Will definately get someone next time even if it's the wife.  :-)

The boat ran really well, the 35mmm props seem just right, gave a very realistic scale like speed.
I have limited the throttle to 75% Fwd and 25% Reverse which turned out to be O.K. a little more reverse say 35% would be better and maybe allow the ability to spin the boat in it's own length.

There is however one problem that needs solving before I hand it over to the Grandsons and that is that after getting the boat home, 10 mins fron the pond, I did find a puddle of water in the rear most compartment.
That's the one that houses the rudder tubes, water in/out fittings and cooling pipes. The 4 pipes were / are a very tight fit onto the fittings and the rudder tubes do finish above the waterline.

Everything is well sealed, with epoxy pooled around them inside the hull as the picture shows on the P brackets, absolutely no water ingress beyond the last frame.
I think the problem may be that water is leaking through the rear hatch cover which is directly over the rear compartment.

Will attack the problem one thing at a time and start by fitting the seals to the rear hatch which I had already made but for some reason forgot to fit and then progress from there.
One fix then one run in water until I find a cure. Can't really give it to the boys as it is, so it's a must do.

All work on the Vaporetto will now have to stop until this is fixed, shame as I am really enjoying the Vappi build.

Some pictures that may help.

Mike.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #415 on: June 19, 2012, 11:14:46 pm »

try running the boat full welly with the back lids off in the domestic tank. Sometimes water can come up the rudder tubes between the shaft and the inner wall when the water around them is under pressure. Itl only be a trickle too.

ukmike

« Reply #416 on: June 20, 2012, 06:09:36 am »

try running the boat full welly with the back lids off in the domestic tank. Sometimes water can come up the rudder tubes between the shaft and the inner wall when the water around them is under pressure. Itl only be a trickle too.

Thanks Mike, will do that first , sounds about right as the little puddles were the same on each isde of the keel.

ukmike

« Reply #417 on: June 21, 2012, 07:00:48 pm »

Hi.

Problem solved, you were quite right Mike.

The water was being driven up the rudder shafts, defeating the grease so it must have been quite high pressure.

Have fitted an O ring on each shaft on the underwater end which butts up to the rudder blade and shaft tube.

On the inboard end of the tubes I have added another O ring which compresses onto the top of the tube by a washer and 4mm nut.

Thicker grease also used, the servo doesn't seem to mind the extra load either.

Should be all systems go for the final test before the boat is handed over.

Mike.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: June 21, 2012, 11:42:38 pm »

I promised myself an early to bed night tonight, and found this build thread, 1 1/2 hrs ago! dont know how I missed it from day one, could not stop reading, it was excellent!! well done!!

PLEASE PLEASE some video of it running! %)

A superb build, and some excellent work :}

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #419 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:54 am »

yes definatly need to some footage :-))

waverunner

• Shipmate
« Reply #420 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:35 am »

Vid please. The suspense is killing  O0

david.harrison

« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2014, 09:31:23 pm »

Would love to put my hands of one of those spare compasses, and know where you got em' from...

Robert

A little late in seeing this thread, but I would also love to know where you got those compasses for my Amati Aquarama build. I live in Canada.

Caronte

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #422 on: April 08, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »

Mi scuso se ho riaperto un build log molto vecchio, ma è un bellissimo build log con risultati eccellenti, ho adottato alcune soluzioni vostre  con soddisfazione.
Grazie ho imparato altre cose sul modellismo navale, io costruivo solo aerei da progetto ed ho iniziato a comprare le uscite in edicola del kit Amati (Hachette) non credendo di ritrovarmi con un bellissimo modello e ben riprodotto.
Mi auguro che il varo sia andato bene e sarei felice di vedere video e sapere le sue impressioni su motorizzazione adottata e la trasmissione con le eliche più appropriate.
Io credo che istalerò la sua stessa motorizzazione, speriamo a lei sia andata bene.
Sarebbero gradite le foto del vano motore e tutte le specifiche dei componenti istallati e risultati.
Grande UKMIKE e grande Riva Aquarama!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #423 on: April 08, 2017, 10:22:15 pm »

Welcome Caronte ......the Moderators will request future postings be in the English tongue, ...........

[it appears you are refereing to a year 2012 posting from UK Mike which is fine]. I am sure our members would like to see video's or and pictures of your engine compartment and all specifications of the components etc

Your translated posting is below.............Derek

I apologize if I reopened a build log very old, but it's a beautiful build log with excellent results, I've adopted some solutions your with satisfaction.

Thank you I learned more about the ship models, I just used to make fighter aircraft project and I started buying the kit newsstand Amati (Hachette) not believing to find myself with a beautiful model and well played.

I hope that the launch went well and would be happy to show you videos and know his impressions on DMV adopted and the transmission with the propellers are most appropriate.

I believe that istalerò his own DMV, hopefully she went well.

Would you like the pics of the engine compartment and all specifications of the components installed and results.

Great UKMIKE and great Riva Aquarama
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #424 on: April 08, 2017, 11:14:42 pm »

this is a work of art, i dont even know what i like the most about it, everything is so perfectly done but i think im most impressed by the interior, its beautiful, i dont even have to ask if your proud of this boat lol
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.