Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Require photos and other reference on Nigerian tug BURUTU or her sister BAJIMA  (Read 7308 times)

deadwood

Hello,

though my main interest is in cargo ships and hence my eventual project a 1:87 model building of a 200m container vessel
I decided to first start with a tug model in the same scale.
I hope to get a first hands on experience with the to me unfamiliar glass fibre resin hull making after I had built all my previous models from wood in the traditional POF technique.
For an inexperienced first-time laminator I thought it would be easier to start with a small model with straight-forward hull shape than with the more complex (i.e. bulbous bow) and large hull of the container vessel.

To this end I searched for plans of a pleasing tug and came about this plan which I found reasonable and ordered it.

Unfortunately, a quick (and maybe superfluous) search only revealed this rather fuzzy photo of BURUTU.

Because the plan is of UK origin (mind you I am a German modeller) I hope that chances might be that a few of you model boaters have built this tug.
I would be delighted to find more and closer photos of the tug, be it original or model, which reveal the colouring scheme and a little detail which might be missing in the plan.
(I haven't yet received the plan I ordered)

Cheers
Ralph

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

There was a supporting  Model Boats article by David Metcalf many years ago when this plan first came out but I m not sure when it was. Maybe if someone knows when it was it they could scan it for you.

Colin

deadwood

Thank you Mates,

I will be checking with the Model Boats ordering and distribution dept. whether there is still a back issue of when the plan and vessel were introduced available.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

I don't know if these will be of any assistance, but here are 3 photos of a model Burutu built by Peter Barlow, one of our club members.

Peter.

deadwood

Hello Peter,

many thanks for posting the photos of your namesake's and club peer's model of Burutu.

A beautiful model. And the colouring scheme which I like very much is conspicuous from them.

Now I realize that the tug even has twin propulsion in Kort nozzles which I wasn't aware of when I ordered the plan
because there was no image showing an elevation of the submerged part of the hull and very humble description on the website of the plan's issuers.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

hi there

Hi Ralph

If you send me your postal address via the PMs on this forum - you can have the spare magazine I have which has the build article in it .

Aye

John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

deadwood

Hi John,

many thanks for your kind offer.
PM has been sent.

Ralph

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer

Glad to be of assistance, Ralph. Peter Barlow's model is quite big, about 1.5 metres long at a guess, and rather heavy, too. I know he puts the boat in the water before installing the battery. It is a lovely model and has working fire monitors, which are always good to spray unsuspecting spectators with on a hot day {-)

Peter.

deadwood

Hello again,

yesterday I was further searching the Web for photos of Burutu/Bajima and came across this (I assume) Turkish modeller's photo building log.

Though I still haven't received the ordered plan, from the photos of the model building above I more and more fall for this tug.

I still want to start with a 1:87 GRP hull construction.
But for maybe a later project I might choose a larger scale.

myHobbystore is offering this hull on their site.
But they don't explicitly mention the scale of the hull.
Well, I presume it is 1:50 because this ratio is mentioned in the sparse accompanying text which seems to refer to the separate plan (i.e. the one I ordered).
They also fail to mention what material the hull is made of, e.g. GRP, ABS, polysyrol?

I asked them these questions through contact mail but so far haven't received an answer.

That's why I'd like to ask here.
Has anyone of you built a model on that hull who can tell me its scale and material?

Ralph

deadwood

Hello,

a big thank you to Bluebird who sent me his copy of the January 1983 issue of Model Boats which I received today. :} :-))
Fortunately, my wife hasn't thrown it away because she intercepted the mail while I was at work.
(see my other thread to get an idea of her devious character)

After having read the article about the tug by the plan's drafter David Metcalf I also got an answer to my last two questions of this thread
because he used the styrene hull scale 1:50 that already was available in 1983 from the Model Boats Plans Service.
Interestingly, there is an order coupon in the magazine issue with an indicated price of 9.95 GBP.
Today the price for the hull is a little over 30 GBP. So we have a nice inflation indicator here. %)

In the article it was mentioned that the styrene hull was divided along the ship's centre line which I find a little strange for a prefabricated hull without any undercut.

I will have to see whether I am going to order the hull...

andywright

• Full Mayhemer

These tugs were allways nice looking, very similar to the Flying Phanrtom which capsized in the Clyde a couple of years ago.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer

and to explain the vertical "Split line", it's due to trying to minimise thinning of the plastic due to "Vac" forming. The deeper the draw, the thinner the material at either the top or bottom of the molding depending on a male or female mold.

Regards    Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

hama

• Full Mayhemer

I can confirm that! A friend bought this hull many years ago, it was very strong and rigid due to the thick plastic. Still unbuilt though. Agree that they are really good looking. Would like to have one myself.
All the best.
Hama

Senior Chief

• Shipmate

Hello,

though my main interest is in cargo ships and hence my eventual project a 1:87 model building of a 200m container vessel
I decided to first start with a tug model in the same scale.
I hope to get a first hands on experience with the to me unfamiliar glass fibre resin hull making after I had built all my previous models from wood in the traditional POF technique.
For an inexperienced first-time laminator I thought it would be easier to start with a small model with straight-forward hull shape than with the more complex (i.e. bulbous bow) and large hull of the container vessel.

To this end I searched for plans of a pleasing tug and came about this plan which I found reasonable and ordered it.

Unfortunately, a quick (and maybe superfluous) search only revealed this rather fuzzy photo of BURUTU.

Because the plan is of UK origin (mind you I am a German modeller) I hope that chances might be that a few of you model boaters have built this tug.
I would be delighted to find more and closer photos of the tug, be it original or model, which reveal the colouring scheme and a little detail which might be missing in the plan.
(I haven't yet received the plan I ordered)

Cheers
Ralph

Senior Chief

• Shipmate

There is a cd of plans on ebay. Check under Burutu. It includes the article mentioned and is only around 10 US. If you cannot locate it their email is vstiles@powergate.ca. Hope this helps.

deadwood

• Full Mayhemer

Hello Senior Chief,

thank you for the notice.
If it is this offer that you refer to, it says that the bidding phase had expired and the item probably was sold for 6.99 Canadian Dollars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.