Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob's Shipyard - "Dry Dock" conversion  (Read 11657 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Re: Bob's Shipyard - "Dry Dock" conversion
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 11:18:18 pm »

the next day, (monday) I cut out the holes for all doors and windows with router. this only took about 10 minutes. doors and windows were in by lunchtime.
it took me a good few days to staple the membrane to the osb and then the stainless steel expanded mess over the membrain. I remember using 7000 s/s staples. I couldn't move my hands for a week.

wiring and insulation next before dry lining.

Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

bobk

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 10:26:56 am »

Just an update on my new Shipyard:  The small workbench area is now complete and work on the submarine can restart.  Many thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.

Still a lot to do on the opposite side, veneer resurfacing of the CAD workstation bench, cupboards, shelves, a lot more sockets, and organising enough daylight strip lighting to make detail working possible.  At present the single ECO friendly ceiling bulb is about as much use as a 1/96 scale masthead lamp.  I am also taking on board ideas from the current "Chit Chat" "Workshop" theme.

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:50 am »

Going off the radar for 2 months. Delivering tug Farfan from hongkong to panama via Honolulu. Google cheoy lee farfan. Ttfn.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

bobk

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 11:48:21 am »

Bob's Shipyard - now open for model making.

Update on my conversion of the old 'office' into a more practical area for working on model boats.  Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions.
As pictured below, the old CAD workstation bench has been veneered in pine and given 3 coats of yacht varnish.  Two cheap cupboards connected with shelving for my component organisers and other bits, with two small strip lights under for when I need them. A new 4 ft strip light to replace the single Eco (almost zero light) ceiling bulb.  All tubes are 'daylight'. 
9 sockets over this bench, plus the 6 on the small worktop opposite.  Should be enough  ok2.
I am using cut-down postal tubes for Plastruct etc, as suggested. 

To do:  A matching extended pine worktop for the PC area, door knobs, and a nautical looking clock.  I am still searching for a door plate that says "Shipyard, managers office" or something similar.

Some of the storage space is for non boat stuff that needs to stay, but at least it has 'tidy' potential.  I am no longer limited to just short sessions on the dining table, having to pack away each evening.  No TV yet, but I have the computer here for research, and this Forum of course !

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

Nice drydock!

Just an observation about all the sockets some guys have put in, you should be careful how many you put on a spur - any more than 2 double sockets can lead to problems.

There should be a fuse on the cable from the ring to the sockets on the spur so as not to allow overloading the cable.

Imagine the scenario -  socket cabling from fusebox/distribution box is 2.5mm twin and earth rated at 32 amps. Each socket is rated for 13a max, so its easy to see with only 2 double sockets you get a POTENTIAL max current of 52amps - way above the cable rating, hence the need for a fuse.

I am not a sparky, but have been advised on what I have said above.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

bobk

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:23 pm »

Well said Ian, very true.    A good point raised.  Thanks.

In this case the 'source' is a double wall socket on the ground floor ring main, with two paths back to the mains distribution panel.  Each of the wall mounted extension leads has a separate fused plg with a short reasonably rated cable.

Where one has to be very sensible with extension leads is being careful what you plug into them and how many at a time.  Almost all the intended loads will be quite low.  Chargers for both the ship and TX batteries, occasional use of 10W strip lights, plus either OR a small dremel or soldering iron.  Computer & peripherals frequently require several sockets, although the combined load is low.

If I need the big Black & Decker drill then everything else is off, especially the PC.

Having multiple strips of sockets gives me flexibility as to where I plug them in.  You will note I have a gap near the wall to stow excess lengths of cable when in use on the bench.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.