Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you blessed with a model boating compatible indulging spouse?  (Read 5186 times)

deadwood

Hello,

in another thread I came across this statement
Quote from: Martin Admin
3. The good lady says, 'stop playing with your boats and do something useful!'
which made me think.

As it seems I am one of those poor souls who is plagued with a completely intolerant wife regarding this pastime,
who besides exhibits utter hysterical reactions on any occurrence of dust, dirt and fumes (viz. the natural by-products of model making and DIY).
Not only does she frown upon this hobby but also ridicules it by telling me that this is a childish behaviour to waste one's time but nothing to be executed by a mentally sound grown up man.

Thus, I would like to find out by starting this poll if I am the only one.

Thanks for your appreciation and compassion
Ralph

brianB6

Re: Are you blessed with a model boating compatible indulging spouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:45:06 am »

Her Studio is 40' x 20'
My model room is 10' x 20'  {:-{
Nuff said.

MikeA

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:05 am »

If a man wanted to revisit his youth and feel young again he would probably spend 30 or 40 pounds on a model, couple of says building it and he would be contempt with this. However no doubt his better half will criticise him saying he should grow up. stop wasting money and stop wasting time. this would seem a sensible criticism but this has just come from a person who for the first 15 years of their life tries to grow up and look older and the next 70 years of their life and several thousands of pounds in anti ageing cream trying to reverse that process!! Typical  :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:11:24 am »

Luckily my wife encourages my hobbies, as I do hers. Perhaps that's what happens after more than 51 years of wedded bliss :D

Peter.

BrianCartwright

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:30:17 am »

I have said before I am a little boy who has never grown up and do't ever intend to.
If I hadn't a model of some sort to build through the winter months I would go crazy.
I'm not a telly fan.In fact I think most of it is rubbish and an insult to everyones intelligence,(Mind you I do like good comedy) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:33:57 am »

Perhaps I should have added that I've never really grown up either, Brian {-) {-) and, like you, don't intend to ok2

Peter.

wibplus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:26:37 am »

My dear missus actually told me that I needed a hobby and that she didn't mind at all what I chose to do. When I mentioned boating, she asked if she could come along sometimes.  O0  O0  :-))  %%  %%  %%  %%

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:48:28 am »

My dear missus actually told me that I needed a hobby and that she didn't mind at all what I chose to do. When I mentioned boating, she asked if she could come along sometimes.  O0  O0  :-))  %%  %%  %%  %%

Mine said exactly the same and comes to the lake some days
She does ,however, wonder how many jiffy bags of bits from fleabay it takes to build a boat  O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bobk

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:05 am »

I count myself very lucky, my wife supports my need for a hobby at a time where I have reached Pension age and will soon be halving my working hours.  The 'office' is undergoing conversion to a workshop, and she has not only been to the boat lake with me but also came to the Beale Park event recently.  Seriously though, when a bloke has spent most of his working life 100% focused on bringing up a family and supporting all their interests, building up a home and paying the bills, a little remission for 'good behaviour' has been earned.
I am now spending a little time indulging in something for me.

snowwolflair

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:41:09 am »

Remember boys boats is only your second hobby, your wife is your first 8)   (and i'm allowed to do what I want)

bat44

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:16:10 am »

er in doors said if i buy a boat i must buy her some thing as well but even then she gives me a look that can kill. er in doors came round the club house the other night she said she would just sit in the corner and be quit as a mouse, lets just say she will not be coming again, but then she will probably will go again because she said she can and as a down trodone man will probably let her 

Laurent

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:23 am »

When we met for the first time, I told her I had hobbies, more than one as a matter of facts.

Now, when she's nagging at me, I give her the choice:

- I do further on model boating ans she shuts up
- I go to the pub and drink myself to death...

I still works after all those years, I'm still a modeller  ;D

Regards,

laurent

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:34 am »

I must be the luckiest man in the model boat universe , when my wife and I started dating I built her a model tug , most people laugh at this but 9 years on flowers would be long gone but her tug is still going strong and gets used as often as time allows , also when I mentioned buying a laser cutter she thought it was a great idea , especially after cutting 400 patchwork squares in about 20 mins with it.

andyn

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:21 am »

Met my girlfriend (Hannah) a few years ago at a model show, then again last year at Wicksteed Mayhem, and things kinda went from there...

Now work for her dad making boats for a living {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:00:19 pm »

I must be the luckiest man in the model boat universe , when my wife and I started dating I built her a model tug , most people laugh at this but 9 years on flowers would be long gone but her tug is still going strong and gets used as often as time allows , also when I mentioned buying a laser cutter she thought it was a great idea , especially after cutting 400 patchwork squares in about 20 mins with it.

Second luckiest.

When I  had to give up work because of ill health my wife encouraged my hobby.

She first off had a shed put up complete with electrics and heating.

When my disability stopped me using the shed she let me have the spare bedroom as a workroom. This was fitted out with a bench shelving and electrics inc hi fi and TV.

She has financed all my boat building [ 18 boats to date and one on the bench.] including tools etc.

She has her own lifeboat and tug and always comes to the lake with me and gives me a hand with the boats.

She also takes me to all the local shows when I am up to it.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:54 pm »

my missus and kids are  supportive, all attend shows enjoy the banter and just get stuck in..... lucky huh ! :}
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »

Well I used to be.... Enough said I think, Dave.  :-X

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »

I must be a lucky man also my partner builds boats and is a member & partisipant in our local model boat club. She also sails model yachts so half of the house is a model boatyard.

Regards
Destroyer42.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »

Blessed with an understanding wife who comes along whenever/whereever I go with my subs, loves to take photo`s and video loves to help out when a build is taken on cant ask for anything else realy oh yes and she even buys the beer.......................sometimes  :-))

Regards Mark

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:33 am »

Same for me as Grimreaper.  Great wife of 43 years.

But this expression comes in handy at times:  I AM THE CAPTAIN OF MY SHIP!![/size][/size]  and I have the Admiral's permission to say so.

deadwood

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:03 am »

Hello Guys,

many thanks for your participation in the poll so far.

From your votes and answers I am ashamedly aware that I forgot to add a voting option like,
I am a hell of a lucky guy because my wife fully supports me in my hobby and has an exceptional appreciation for the special needs and implications of it.

You know what? I really do envy you.
Now it dawns upon me that I must have made a severe mistake in one of life's fundamental decisions,
i.e. the choice of ones life partner.

Sadly touched  <:(  :-))
Ralph

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 09:27:11 am »

We encourage each other's hobbies. She likes needlework and tapestry so we both create something lasting. I think it is sad when people don't have a variery of interests just as long as you don't become obsessive about it. It also means that you both have your own bit of space and can appreciate each other's abilities.

Colin

pugwash

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:04:41 am »

I am one of the lucky ones - I have my own den for modelmaking and a large shed for the messy jobs. She bought my last two hulls
and the running gear etc - keeps buying things for my birthday - I must have had 6 birthdays already this year.
She doesn't mind what I spend on modelling or my fishing trips and I don't mind what she spends on her horse.
I got many brownie points last week helping her move the horse to new stables - took three days - might be a good time to mention
my next build (a Tiger class cruiser)

Geoff

Laurent

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 11:42:30 am »

To add at my message here above, I have to say that I joined her in her hobby, she used to paint flowers on furnitures, I went with her to a painting course during the winter last year, I always wanted to paint ship's portraits, this is my first one, five days work, it has been done with acrylic paints on a canvas, I never had a paint brush in my hand before, but for painting my models:

the full album here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/117569696778773352128/StagePeintureCollier#

I switched a few months ago to oil paints, I just love it, I thus also have to say that my modelling is slowing down a lot, a shame!

Regards,

Laurent

Patrick Henry

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:24 pm »

My first wife gave me the ultimatum...I had to choose between her or my submarines.

I still think of her now and again.... %)

Second wife used to come to shows and regattas with me...damn, she was good at driving a sub.

My good lady I have now is quite happy with a flat full of subs...mind you, I only see her once a year for six weeks.

But last time she came over she flatly refused to share the bed with a 6' Russian Victor hull....I can't understand why, I had to sleep with the thing for months until I sold it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.