Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: My Build of H.M.T. RESOLVE from June 2011  (Read 82266 times)

RaaArtyGunner

Re: My Build of H.M.T. RESOLVE from June 2011
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 04:15:48 am »

But to digress as Dickey has asked why??

There are commercial mounts available, which are infinetly far stonger than the ply ones, even with the return brace panel. O0 O0

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 08:57:56 am »

There are commercial mounts available, which are infinetly far stonger than the ply ones, even with the return brace panel. O0 O0

My point precisely  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 09:31:19 am »

maybe the true answer is that he can make a better motormount than the commercially available ones - cheaper and he has the skill to make them which he has and those that are asking why obviously don't have the skill or knowledge make them?  O0 O0 plus the money he has saved making his own he now can spend on some other fitting 
 :-))

aye
john

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:18 am »

Bit unsure that 'infinitely' is a good description, a well made plywood motor mount for this type of motor should be more than strong enough. With a coat of woodstain and varnish they would enhance the inside appearance of any model. Carry on. Pride in your build shines through. Dont forget to line up all your screwheads though!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 09:36:24 am »

I didn't say Wallace was wrong and I didn't want to start a discussion [argument] I was just curious. >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 09:39:36 am »

I'm fairly sure it is just a discussion.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 11:55:37 am »

I didn't say Wallace was wrong and I didn't want to start a discussion [argument] I was just curious. >>:-(

Me too, and when lining up screw heads, with the grain or the longest run? %) %)
Phillips head are easy, as they just have to all be the same, but slotted screws well ?? %% %%

Back on topic, Wallace looking good. :-)) :-))

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 01:25:49 pm »

Only one true answer here... Personal Satisfaction , Why Buy when you can build it..  Smart looking brackets those.  :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

and when lining up screw heads, with the grain or the longest run? %) %)

Longest run, always. Bad habits picked up over years, ask any of our club members. They try to hamper my OCD with crossheads, but I will take them out and replace with nice slotted brass ones..

Keep up the good work.

wallace

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »

more on the motor mounts with the motors fixed to the mounts to see how they line up.
 wallace  :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 04:39:23 pm »

More about the motors and prop shafts and how they are sitting inside the hull on the base which is around 2mm ply which will be stained and varnished and fixed to the hull by fibra/glass more on that in later when done.
    wallace    :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 02:40:09 pm »

Just a few more of the linning up of the motors. :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 02:42:53 pm »

Just dry fitting the deck support and deck to see about getting into the motors etc. :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »

Theses two photos are to show how much I had to file out to get the prop shaft lined up all will be done later :-)) :-)) wallace

wallace

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 03:00:39 pm »

Motor brackets and hull base been stained  and had two coats of varnish. the stain is Mahogany   :-)) :-))  wallace

pettyofficernick

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 06:11:05 pm »

Hi Wallace, excellent job, were those motor mounts part of the kit or of your own manufacture? :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34:17 am »

about the motor mounts the mounts are not part of the kit  I got the ply and design on line  from the person who has built the boat the ply looks so strong than the metal one and this design the motors are not going to move around Im happy with them although I have had to make the prop holes that much bigger  but its worth it.      wallace

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2011, 11:16:34 am »

Looking good, also the timber motor mounts will help absorb any unwanted motor noise.

Nice clear pics  :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:46 am »

Building up the boat sub  deck/funnel deck which is the ply sub-deck and five camber pieces fitted to the underside to give the deck a camber affect lines were drawn 12mm in on both sides and and from the front end and the back end 13mm then and then from the front edge  60mm,125mm,210mm  these were super glued in place and lead weights place on the deck to set over night the following day I filled the cambers to the deck with epoxy resin and left to dry over night,then the next job was to stain all the ply with wood stain and once again left to dry over night and yesterday coated the whole frame but not the top as yet with clear varnish I have done this on this model for the first time as it may be my last build and also to protect the ply from rotting and it looks so neat.
  The first lot of the photos again show you the parts dry fitted nothing has been fully fitted to the hull as yet   the last photo shows the deck stained and varnished.    wallace :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:48 pm »

Heres the next bits to be fitted to the boat here you can see the way I fit the base on which the moters and the battery's sit on the plywood base is fixed to the hull by glass fibre and and help into place with heavy batteries left to harden for 24 hours in it own time remove the batteries and use body filler all the way around and left again to set then rub down until smooth remove all dust and get ready to fix the motor and running gear in place which will be the next job.   wallace :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 09:59:57 am »

These photos show the base plate for the running gear and battery fully fixed to the hull the sides all filled in and rubbed down to a smooth finish also the running gear taped up ready to be fixed in place and the hole where the prop shaft goes through the hull also ready to be filled in.
             wallace  :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 10:54:33 am »

These pics are showing you how I do the running gear from outside and inside the hull you have already seen the holes drilled and filed out to take the prop shafts and like I said earlier had to file abit bigger than normal due to the motors and the motor brackets.
I filled the holes with car body filler from the inside the hull with tape on the outside also used the same filler to hold the shafts in place left the filler to harden over night then I carefully rubbed inside and outside  to a smooth Finnish,had to put abit more filler on the outside off the hull sanded again and all looks great inside was also rubbed down so it looks nice and tidy ready for painting.So now the shafts are all in place next job to fix the motor brackets in place .
           wallace  :-)) :-)) :-))

wallace

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

Latest update on the build yesterday14/10/11 and today made up frame to hold the rudder servo out of bits of plywood put a coat of wood stain in and out and held the servo in place by 4 small screws with the lead pointing to the bow the frame is held in place by filler and I will not look at it now for 24 hours I have also fixed the moter brackets in place by epoxy and place a large battery on top to hold in place once again leave for 24 hours,
So at the moment the only parts/bits of the boat that are fully in place are -- prop staft, servo, and motor and motor brackets also the base plate,I think my next jog will be to fully fit and fix into place will be the rudder and to fill the hole the rudder goes through.
Just jumping ahead a little bit because on the resolve there is alot of rigging etc so I am going to leave the 12v battery's in place and have on the upper deck two jack points to fit banana plugs so the battery's can be charge with leaving them in the boat.
wallace :-)) :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:01 pm »

Make sure you can remove them if neccessary. If the battery fails on you, you do not want to be in a situation where the model needs to be destroyed to get the battery out. I had one of those cross my desk only a couple of weeks ago, an HMS Amethyst with a 6v 4amp battery built in to the model. The battery had been left plugged into the speed control for 6 months and was dead flat. Luckily it took a charge and recovered, otherwise it would have been off with the deck!

wallace

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

Just a quick reply to the last post from Portsmouth about leaving the battery in boat ....I will make sure that all will be safe and sound and all will be switch off by the on/off switches.The only reason I MAY do this and charge the battery while its in the boat is because of all the rigging and to remove the rigging etc to take the battery out in time something will get broken and the battery's these days are safe anyway thanks for being concern about the boat.
      wallace  :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.