Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ( IS IT TIME TO BE AFRAID)  (Read 4712 times)

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
( IS IT TIME TO BE AFRAID)
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:39:22 pm »

IT COULD BE time to be afraid, very afraid,  we have allowed our armed forces to slide, with a navy with not enough ships, an airforce with their wings cut off and an army with troops being sacked while serving on the front line,

thats depressing enough,

our closest ally America is experiencing its own problems too,  that was within hours of not being able to honour its military pay cheques,

MEANWHILE  this is how the military spending is going on elsewhere in the world,  China has just announced it will increase its budget by 12.7 percent to £56.2 billion.

Russia announced  it was pledging£400billion on its military by 2020.

i ain't no Winston Churchill  BUT  shouldn't we take note of all this.

if we have to fight any of the above too on the beaches,  it would be anything but  (OUR FINEST HOUR)   >:-o

maybe that song is right, , ,  in the year 2525 if man is still alive , , , , ,zaeger & evans  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: ( IS IT TIME TO BE AFRAID)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:58:06 pm »

Good grief Bri, you're a happy little soul tonight 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:15:12 pm »

ide put my money on the germans,,, should i order my new audi  A8  now  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:37 pm »

I'm not really bothered Bri, because if your 2525 is right I doubt I shall be around. :-))

ACTion

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:12:37 pm »

Rather begs the question why any "emerging power" would bother wasting ammunition on an overcrowded ex-Imperial cow-pat of a country full of feral kids, obese/slack jawed/ knuckle-dragging celebrity-worshipers, bent police, corrupt politicians and bottom-feeding media barons. Just air-drop a thousand tons of assorted smart phones, trainers and flat-screen TVs and watch the population kill each other for possession. Simples....................
DM
(Cynical? Moi??)

Korky

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:28:34 pm »

Rather begs the question why any "emerging power" would bother wasting ammunition on an overcrowded ex-Imperial cow-pat of a country full of feral kids, obese/slack jawed/ knuckle-dragging celebrity-worshipers, bent police, corrupt politicians and bottom-feeding media barons. Just air-drop a thousand tons of assorted smart phones, trainers and flat-screen TVs and watch the population kill each other for possession. Simples....................
DM
(Cynical? Moi??)

Aww   c'mon mate....don't be shy...say what yer REALLY mean , I'd agree but there seems to be just a tad too many "tree huggers" around lately for my liking !

See the Accuracy International website for more details and a possible discount ????     lol

ps.  If the mooted plans to merge the UK and French Air Force go ahead, and France declares war on us again, does that mean we'll have to bomb ourselves ???   just wondered  !

yorkiej

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:30:35 am »

DM
(Cynical? Moi??)
Spot on analysis. I wonder if Harriet Harperson and the rest of the Westminster apologiststs will take up your theory to offer appeasement to other "emerging powers"? ;D 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:12:51 am »

DM
(Cynical? Moi??)
The history of "civilization" indicates that the vast majority of invasions were purely to gain resources, either control of materiel, food or slave raids.  Thats ignoring the more recent (last 1500 years) where religion was the cover story for the foregoing.  Even then, when it became obvious that there was no profit in saving the souls in a given territory, interest in invasion and possession rapidly waned.
In the distant past, with much smaller populations, this was a very self sufficient land producing wool and various metals for export, was built on coal and iron and was surrounded by sea packed with fish and was a good place to own, thus liable to invasion and/or raiding parties.  Later we had an empire that had the above attributes, and needed protection.  Of late, we have trade routes that need protection from the new age robber barons - who are doing very much the same as the European ones who sat in castles overlooking trade routes like the Rhine a few hundred years ago.  Of course, if we no longer have a merchant fleet......
Any invader wanting an unlimited supply of Giros is welcome to them.  May they have much luck trying to cash them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ACTion

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:16 pm »

Just air-drop a thousand tons of assorted smart phones, trainers and flat-screen TVs and watch the population kill each other for possession. Simples....................
Correction - watch half of the population kill each other for possession and then the other half can vote over their  smart phones to say who they think died in the most convincing manner:
 "Well done, you! It was your death and you went out there tonight and really nailed it!!"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come back, Hughie Green - your (adopted) country needs you.
DM

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »

DM for PM...vote now :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »

Watching a Parliamentary review of expenditure yesterday (about our 2 new carriers) I admit to being rather startled when a Rear Admiral told the committee that neither carrier would be "fully functional and capable" until 2031 at the earliest! And here was me thinking that 2020 was too far ahead. Oh dear. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

CF-FZG

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

DM
(Cynical? Moi??)

Don't let the door smack you in the ar5e on the way out then <*<

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:41:53 pm »

Martin's Photos of Portsmouth from the Spinnaker Tower
Brought it home to me
We still had a reasonable fleet when I Left the Andrew in 1982
Not a lot left now

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

richtea

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:36 pm »

A visit to Pompey in the 60s and 70s was a delight for a boy brought up on tales of the grey funnel  line.
now you have to play spot the warship,
the pictures Martin took tell a sorry tale of politicians wanting more for less,
no matter how many marinas you build, the harbour still looks bare without the grey ladies.

ACTion

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

Don't let the door smack you in the ar5e on the way out then <*<
Ah-ha - caught one.................

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:50 pm »

..........  :embarrassed: and malcolmfrary said......

"In the distant past, with much smaller populations, this was a very self sufficient land producing wool and various metals for export, was built on coal and iron and was surrounded by sea packed with fish and was a good place to own, thus liable to invasion and/or raiding parties "

%) goodness artyrunnergunner  {:-{ ...is he talking about us? ....you betta get your gun out ....Derek :-))
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dekan

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:41:45 am »

As usual as with all of these things we are being misled by our political masters.  >:-o

Gobal warming/excessive carbon..They are not the problems... they are symptoms of a world where the political correct western world has decided to ignore the real question..How do reduce the world's population...

What is the UK going to do when it's population reaches a 100million. we need to reduce it to half the current levels... half the people... half the pollution..half the waste

This week has show us where we should make a start...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:40:44 am »

..........  :embarrassed: and malcolmfrary said......

"In the distant past, with much smaller populations, this was a very self sufficient land producing wool and various metals for export, was built on coal and iron and was surrounded by sea packed with fish and was a good place to own, thus liable to invasion and/or raiding parties "

%) goodness artyrunnergunner  {:-{ ...is he talking about us? ....you betta get your gun out ....Derek :-))
It do apply, don't it?  If you have resources that somebody else wants, they have two ways of getting them.  Buy or steal.  If buying is more economical/convenient, you buy.  When buying is less convenient, you take over the resources, i.e. invasion.  Thats how empires are made.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:46 pm »

Here Brian c when i first read the title of this topic i thought B Y. and SANDY the Scotsman were going to join SOUTH SHIELDS model boat club   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-) {-)

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

Here Brian c when i first read the title of this topic i thought B Y. and SANDY the Scotsman were going to join SOUTH SHIELS model boat club   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: {-) {-) {-) {-)
aye
john
South what my mate ?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »

HAHAHAH I was that afraid.....in fact shaking in me boots at the thought of them coming over to South Shiels hahahahh or even Shields as you rightly put it.  %% %% %% <*<

whats the weather like owa in Sooooothamtooon then?
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »

Sunny John, dont ask about the football. :-))

Capt Podge

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »

Why bother invading this "green and pleasant land" ? It can be bought bit by bit - a Chinese conglomerate is in the process of purchasing Northumbrian water company right now  >>:-(  - just ask yourself "what is the most important, indeed vital, commodity in any country" - Yep, you guessed it, WATER !

Regards,

Ray.

Nordsee

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »

ide put my money on the germans,,, should i order my new audi  A8  now  {-)

The modern German doesn't fight any more, they waffle about , wait until the British, French or Americans do the Dirty Work, then slide into the Country in question and colonise it with "Financial Aid" awarded only to people who will disregard any other Manufacturer! ( Did you know that the last payment under the Marshall Plan was made only a couple of years ago? The old Allies of WW2 have been paying for the German rebuilding that long!!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.